JessN: Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

For many years, TideFans.com produced an annual feature called “Coaches to Watch,” a discover-them-before-your-neighbors-do article identifying up-and-coming mid-major coaches who might one day be candidates at large schools like Alabama.

The feature actually predates TideFans.com itself – the first one rolled off the presses following the 1996 season, when TideFans.com was still BamaNation.com and Dennis Franchione, who made the list, did so from his post not at TCU, but rather New Mexico.

Continue Reading
Good list.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think people forget fans at OK wanted to fire Venables before Dabo hired him. I don't think anyone was saying Dabo struck gold when he hired Venables back then. I remember the melt down OK fans had after they loss 55-14 in the Orange Bowl with everything on the line. They were even money in that game. OK had some monumental break downs while Brent was there. Clemson was never a bottom of the barrel program but they were never near what they are now. Clemson won a National Championship in 1981. Before Dabo their last ACC championship was 1991. Dabo came on the scene in 2008 by 2011 he had won the ACC. By 2015 he had his program ahead of FSU and shortly after ran off Jimbo Fisher. The guy has won the ACC from 2015 to the present day. I know the ACC is weak but it was weak from 1982 to 2011 also and Clemson could not win the ACC.
For a number of those years Bobby Bowden was ruling the ACC -- CU had some very good and strong teams but could not get over that hump. However, they also had some mediocre hires that kept them in limbo -- Tommy Bowden being the most notable.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Down in Mobile the local radio guys think that Napier wants the Bama job and that's why he did not take the State job when he was their first choice. He can stay at LaLa and win until something prime comes along, like maybe Baylor, but his target is Tuscaloosa.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm a 'never coach awwshucks' guy myself, but for those saying we should go after him - what makes you think he can get his team up and keep them up week in and out vs SEC competition? Everyone knows clempson play what amounts to a G5 schedule before the playoffs (even the AAC ACC CG is often against vastly inferior competition) - why do you assume he can get the team ready for the week in-and-out grind of SEC play?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Down in Mobile the local radio guys think that Napier wants the Bama job and that's why he did not take the State job when he was their first choice. He can stay at LaLa and win until something prime comes along, like maybe Baylor, but his target is Tuscaloosa.
He obviously wants a major job -- and recognized the inherent limitations at MSU. He ought to be a candidate just on brains alone for turning them down.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Good post...I get when people say "Mamma called..." However, I just don't get that with Dabo. I'm not a flag waver for him -- but I cannot deny that he has built a really strong program. Did he have good athletes? Yes...but he also brought in even better athletes...
They think they are blue bloods in CFB -- as do a lot of programs. Is it a top 5 program? No way...but probably now a consistent top 10 or 15.
If he comes back in 5 years, he will be a success...for that will mean he has continued to be a success at CU for the next 5 years.
It wasn’t that long ago that Clemsoning was a real term for something bad happening. A decade of quality football won’t totally erase that, Padre. we still remember. The program rankings of the last 150 years had Clemson in the mid 20s as a program. A couple of more championships and they will probably get in the mid teens
I think people forget fans at OK wanted to fire Venables before Dabo hired him. I don't think anyone was saying Dabo struck gold when he hired Venables back then. I remember the melt down OK fans had after they loss 55-14 in the Orange Bowl with everything on the line. They were even money in that game. OK had some monumental break downs while Brent was there. Clemson was never a bottom of the barrel program but they were never near what they are now. Clemson won a National Championship in 1981. Before Dabo their last ACC championship was 1991. Dabo came on the scene in 2008 by 2011 he had won the ACC. By 2015 he had his program ahead of FSU and shortly after ran off Jimbo Fisher. The guy has won the ACC from 2015 to the present day. I know the ACC is weak but it was weak from 1982 to 2011 also and Clemson could not win the ACC.

I remember all the talk in 2013 when the ACC absorbed the Big East football powers that a SUPER CONFERENCE was formed. we can all look back on that and laugh now.

• Haha
Reactions: CoolBreeze

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If Coach Saban retired tomorrow, I'd reluctantly agree you have to call Dabo. However, I truly believe we've got Coach for 5-10 more years if his health holds out. If that is the case, worlds will change between now and then and hopefully one of the younger up and comers blossoms into something great. Pruitt, Napier, or Cristobal. That's what I'm pulling for.

Although, I cannot overlook the irony of Mario Cristobal, he of early 1990s Miami Hurricane fame, who played in that 1993 Sugar Bowl, being the head coach of Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm a 'never coach awwshucks' guy myself, but for those saying we should go after him - what makes you think he can get his team up and keep them up week in and out vs SEC competition? Everyone knows clempson play what amounts to a G5 schedule before the playoffs (even the AAC ACC CG is often against vastly inferior competition) - why do you assume he can get the team ready for the week in-and-out grind of SEC play?
That's a great question...and one that gives pause.
But, anybody not at an SEC school would be similar.

Again, right now, would we think taking Pruit who has a couple years in the SEC and understands the SEC grind OVER a two-time NC coach from another conference?

On a slightly separate note, I think Dabo doesn't get near enough credit for his incredible (and consistent) recruiting. It makes me wonder, "if he can recruit that great to Clemson, imagine what he'd do at Bama?!"

We know that's where it's at. The best teams have/get the best players. That's why I'd take Dabo over all others right now and not think twice about it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I honestly have no idea who it will be or how it will go down. I just hope that when it happens its a very thorough search. The only coaches who it would make sense to simply hand the job to (at this point) would be Dabo and Kirby. But I doubt it will be either of them.

I think Pruitt would be really fun. Especially if it looks like he's just about to bring Tennessee back and then comes home.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
If Cristobal continues to deliver at Oregon he will be the first call IMO....Dabo isn't coming to replace Saban....Napier is being mentioned more prominently for the Baylor job since Fuentes dropped out of consideration....I think Napier will have to deliver on a bigger stage than Louisiana to be a serious contender.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Everybody thinks CNS coaches another 5 years. Folks been predicting that since 2008.

I think when he does step down, we'll all be shocked and it'll be right after somebody predicted he'll coach another 5 years.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Everybody thinks CNS coaches another 5 years. Folks been predicting that since 2008.

I think when he does step down, we'll all be shocked and it'll be right after somebody predicted he'll coach another 5 years.
First time I've said it, and I'm basing it on age/titles and grandchildren...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Assuming the decision is at least two years away but no more than 5 years away. Here would be my short list:

Dabo
Pruitt
Cristobal

With Napier on my "watch list". There must be something to this guy because his name is getting more and more popular and I'm not even talking about within this discussion.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First time I've said it, and I'm basing it on age/titles and grandchildren...
I started posting that comment before I even saw your post. It's the number most people have in their head but the point is nobody knows and it could be sooner than we think (but hopefully not).

Maybe Dabo comes to Bama and Clemson hires Napier?
Just get the "pipeline" started. That would not be surprising at all with Clemson hiring Bama guys.

Reactions: The Ols

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
GREAT POST and I mean that...but I think there's one thing you fail to mention that Bama offers that Clemson can't: FOOTBALL IMMORTALITY.

He can win 2 or 3 more NC at Clemson, but it couldn't match him winning just 1 at Bama.

Now, all the other things you wrote might mean more to Dabo than the "historical" nature of coaching and winning at Bama, but most people that coach at that level can't help but consider that angle.

It's why some think that if CNS gets #7, he will hang it up.
At Clemson, Dabo's the best they ever had. If he comes to Bama, the best he can hope for is to beat out Stallings for third place (in modern football times.)

Don't underestimate the ego of a successful head coach. :)

Reactions: bamafan1966

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If Coach Saban retired tomorrow, I'd reluctantly agree you have to call Dabo. However, I truly believe we've got Coach for 5-10 more years if his health holds out. If that is the case, worlds will change between now and then and hopefully one of the younger up and comers blossoms into something great. Pruitt, Napier, or Cristobal. That's what I'm pulling for.

Although, I cannot overlook the irony of Mario Cristobal, he of early 1990s Miami Hurricane fame, who played in that 1993 Sugar Bowl, being the head coach of Alabama.
I think Mario would be an outstanding candidate. He has transformed Oregon from a finesse team to a power team and he is a very good recruiter plus he openly introduced The Process to the quack attack.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At Clemson, Dabo's the best they ever had. If he comes to Bama, the best he can hope for is to beat out Stallings for third place (in modern football times.)

Don't underestimate the ego of a successful head coach. :)
Yeah, but he's already won 2 at little ole Clemson...you see how these guys think. Imagine what he could do at Bama??? I'm just saying...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Exactly, which means Coach will definitely be with us at least another 10 years for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: BamaMoon

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.