Saban's Recruiting Blueprint (New Book Exerpt)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I read that on al.com a few days ago and was surprised at only one thing: The way Saban got upset with Todd Alles for structuring a big recruiting weekend early in the Saban era.

Alles set it up the way he'd done in a previous job at tOSU. Which, given tOSU's history, wouldn't be unlike the way it's done in a lot of top-tier schools.

But Saban didn't like it, primarily because it didn't give enough individual attention to the recruits and any family they might bring along.

Given the importance that Saban places on recruiting, and especially since it was early in his time in Tuscaloosa, I would have thought Saban would give Alles a general outline of what he was looking for and leave the logistics to Alles. Instead, he told Alles to set up the weekend, apparently didn't give any more detailed instructions, and got upset when the general format wasn't what he wanted.

I guess even the GOAT is human.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB)
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I read that on al.com a few days ago and was surprised at only one thing: The way Saban got upset with Todd Alles for structuring a big recruiting weekend early in the Saban era.

Alles set it up the way he'd done in a previous job at tOSU. Which, given tOSU's history, wouldn't be unlike the way it's done in a lot of top-tier schools.

But Saban didn't like it, primarily because it didn't give enough individual attention to the recruits and any family they might bring along.

Given the importance that Saban places on recruiting, and especially since it was early in his time in Tuscaloosa, I would have thought Saban would give Alles a general outline of what he was looking for and leave the logistics to Alles. Instead, he told Alles to set up the weekend, apparently didn't give any more detailed instructions, and got upset when the general format wasn't what he wanted.

I guess even the GOAT is human.
Sometimes both parties believe they are having clear communication, even though they are understanding two completely different things. Saban was probably very clear with what he wanted.

BearFoot

1st Team
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
twohandsguitars.com
Sometimes both parties believe they are having clear communication, even though they are understanding two completely different things. Saban was probably very clear with what he wanted.
I always explain it this way:

Communication is always an inexact science at best…and can be total chaos at worst. We all speak and listen based upon the collection of data we have gathered within our personal “Sphere of Existence”…

Therefor our interpersonal communication is always built upon three separate languages…yours, mine, and the one where our “Sphere of Existence” overlaps.
7C7DAFBE-38D4-4947-82E3-1DB404031A28.png
If this weren’t difficult enough…include the fact that emotions play a huge role in how we interpret information.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB)
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I always explain it this way:

Communication is always an inexact science at best…and can be total chaos at worst. We all speak and listen based upon the collection of data we have gathered within our personal “Sphere of Existence”…

Therefor our interpersonal communication is always built upon three separate languages…yours, mine, and the one where our “Sphere of Existence” overlaps.
View attachment 27160
If this weren’t difficult enough…include the fact that emotions play a huge role in how we interpret information.
And now everyone under 30 prefers to communicate without voice. So now the other person has to interpret text with no built-in emotion. It’s a wonder anyone stays together at this stage. My wife and I have trouble communicating when we’re in the same room trying to figure out what’s for dinner. I can’t imagine what relationship communication must be like now

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!