Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
  • Wow
Reactions: Bazza

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Good grief, why? The fatwa had been lifted quite some time ago.
Actually, it was never lifted. The Iranian government just said that they would neither support or oppose Rushdie's assassination--they had to say that to resume diplomatic relationships with the UK. Other Islamic groups have continued to denounce him, even increasing the bounty on his head.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: crimsonaudio

CrimsonJazz

1st Team
May 27, 2022
Actually, it was never lifted. The Iranian government just said that they would neither support or oppose Rushdie's assassination--they had to say that to resume diplomatic relationships with the UK. Other Islamic groups have continued to denounce him, even increasing the bounty on his head.
I see. Well, that certainly answers the question. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I saw an update that reads that Rushdie was stabbed multiple times, including in the neck. He may lose an eye, had nerves severed in his arm, and was stabbed in the liver. He is currently on a ventilator.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Rushdie is one of my very favorite authors - an unmatched gift for language and a rare wit. Christopher Hitchens liked to tell the story of a party with many of Britain's greatest writers where after some drinks they played a game where they retitled Shakespeare's plays in the style of Robert Ludlum (The Bourne Identity, etc). Rushdie won by renamng Hamlet "The Elsinore Vacillation."

So relieved to hear he will recover. As for the scum who attacked him, and, by extension, the free expression of ideas, I hope he meets up with an angry prison book club.

Latest threads

Amazon Prime / TideFans.shop

Your purchase through our Amazon affiliation and TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!