Same School Year SEC Football & Basketball Champs

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Bama has a chance to do something very rarely done in the SEC. We have a chance to win the SEC in both Football and basketball in the same academic year. (Regular season Basketball Champions)
This has only been done 7 times previously in the 87 year history of the SEC. Only twice since the advent of the SEC Championship game in football.

Bama has done it 3 times before.

The 7 previous times the Football and Basketball Champs were the same school:

1950-51... Kentucky
1973-74...Bama*
1974-75...Bama*
1975-76...Bama
1976-77...Kentucky*
2000-01...Florida
2006-07...Florida

*-- Co-champ in either football or basketball.

2020-21... Bama has won football and has a 3 game lead with 4 games to go in basketball.
Boy.. I hope we finish strong!! Roll Tide Roll!!

*** Interesting trivia... The first four times this happened there were two things in common:
1) Bear Bryant coached football at Kentucky in 1950 and at Bama in the 70's.
2.) CM Newton played for Kentucky in 1951 and coached at Bama in the 70's.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
It's amazing the relationship between athletics at Alabama and Kentucky. The differences are that UK is a basketball blue blood, modestly relevant at times in football, but largely a big nothing. Contrast that with Alabama football, THE blue blood of them all, and modestly relevant in basketball, with some better years interspersed among all the mediocrity.

Considering my late father was a Kentucky Blue through and through, moved us here to Alabama in the 80's, and then I went on to THE University of Alabama, the irony just rings through for me.

rolltd

Scout Team
Dec 15, 2010
I’ve always thought CM Newton’s prime years in the mid-70s was never given proper recognition. I guess because we got unfortunate a couple of times in a much smaller NCAA tournament.

Particularly, losing to Indiana in 1976 ripped my heart out.
Yep that loss to Indy hurt. We had them till the very end and they went on to win it all

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It's amazing the relationship between athletics at Alabama and Kentucky. The differences are that UK is a basketball blue blood, modestly relevant at times in football, but largely a big nothing. Contrast that with Alabama football, THE blue blood of them all, and modestly relevant in basketball, with some better years interspersed among all the mediocrity.

Considering my late father was a Kentucky Blue through and through, moved us here to Alabama in the 80's, and then I went on to THE University of Alabama, the irony just rings through for me.
Bryant called Rupp once to ask his advice in hiring a basketball coach. Rupp said to hire CM Newton.

CB4

All-American
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Ohio State basketball just lost to the team up north so I guess we’re a football school now.
The last two loss have showed me a bunch about your tOSU team though. Don’t get me wrong. A loss is loss, but that tOSU team is a damn gutsy team. In both games there were opportunities for your team to “lay down” late but they didn’t. They hung in there and fought to the end.
I think they will be a tough out in the tournament. Good luck to your guys.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Bama becomes only the 2nd school...(joining Florida 2006/2007)... To win the SEC Football Championship and the SEC Basketball regular season Championship and the SEC tournament Championship in one academic year.

Lets hope we can finish as strong as that Florida team.... and win the National Championship in basketball too!
Roll Tide!