Link: Santonio Beard arrested

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
You can only point them in the right direction teach them by example and hope when they leave home they learned enough. Obviously that wasn't the case. :frown:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The problem is simply society. When these athletes get college scholarships, way too many of them have visions of $$$$ pro contracts dancing in their heads. They don't learn enough in school to survive in society, if they don't make it in the pros. But they never get over the spotlight, the "star" syndrome, and the only way they can get it back is to make big money. How many ways do they have, without a quality college degree? (and there are many degrees given that really aren't worth the paper they are printed on).
This past summer, Jamarcus Russell was in a bar in the Mobile area throwing handfuls of $50 bills in the air. Prime example. He has thugs living in his house on the river, shooting guns during the day and night. He is a train wreck waiting to happen.
Did he even get a degree? I heard he is going to be benched Sunday (don't know for sure, he might have been benched last week); he doesn't turn his life around, he is out of football and broke in five years.
It is sad, and it happens way too often. I wish Beard the best.

TideFan40

1st Team
Nov 7, 2006
Athens, AL
The problem is simply society. When these athletes get college scholarships, way too many of them have visions of $$$$ pro contracts dancing in their heads. They don't learn enough in school to survive in society, if they don't make it in the pros. But they never get over the spotlight, the "star" syndrome, and the only way they can get it back is to make big money. How many ways do they have, without a quality college degree? (and there are many degrees given that really aren't worth the paper they are printed on).
This past summer, Jamarcus Russell was in a bar in the Mobile area throwing handfuls of $50 bills in the air. Prime example. He has thugs living in his house on the river, shooting guns during the day and night. He is a train wreck waiting to happen.
Did he even get a degree? I heard he is going to be benched Sunday (don't know for sure, he might have been benched last week); he doesn't turn his life around, he is out of football and broke in five years.
It is sad, and it happens way too often. I wish Beard the best.
I hate to hear this about Beard, but I think it's almost ridiculous to blame society. The problem with "society" is that today we want to come up with excuses for people when they get into trouble and find somewhere else to put the blame. This is noone else's fault other than Santonio's. For every player in the scenario you described above that does something like this, there are a hundred that do what is right. We just never hear about those guys. That being said, I do wish him well and I hope he gets his life in order.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
As I have had to say so many times over the years, I am so sad to hear this. I've said it before and will say it a thousand more times probably, I don't care who the person is, where they are from, what sport, school etc... they played for or if they did, it is tragic to see a young life head in this direction. I am truly saddened by this news. So sad to see the gift of life laid to waste.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I hate to hear this about Beard, but I think it's almost ridiculous to blame society. The problem with "society" is that today we want to come up with excuses for people when they get into trouble and find somewhere else to put the blame. This is noone else's fault other than Santonio's. For every player in the scenario you described above that does something like this, there are a hundred that do what is right. We just never hear about those guys. That being said, I do wish him well and I hope he gets his life in order.
I didn't read his comments quite that way. He didn't excuse the behavior. He simply tried to explain a view that it isn't good for anyone to be placed upon a pedestal. If/when that pedestal is removed, they are forced to learn to stand on their own two feet - something that the rest of us have to learn at a much younger age.

I have seen, first hand, how a person whose entire identity was tied to his athletic ability reacts to the loss of that identity, and it isn't a pretty sight. They have to re-invent themselves on the fly. Find new motivations for everyday tasks. Find a new way to make a living. All of this and so much more without the same basic skills that non-athletes are forced to develop early in life.

Yes, they are still responsible for their behavior, but the only way to break the cycle is to stop the hero worship of 10 year old boys who are good at a sport...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yes, they are still responsible for their behavior, but the only way to break the cycle is to stop the hero worship of 10 year old boys who are good at a sport...
Hero worship has been happening as long as there have been heroes....but I agree with you that we make "heroes" out of kids WAY before they have the maturity or experience to handle it. With that said........how many of us get excited because at 16 year old signs with us, because Rivals says he's worth 5 stars? We all do......and I assure you 16 year olds can't handle it either.

So, we have to accept the downside of the current situation....because it won't be changing anytime soon.

But we have to remember, there are many many kids who come through, do their work, get their degrees, and make a great living.....regardless of their background or social class........perhaps some kids turn into men who just don't get it.

TideFan40

1st Team
Nov 7, 2006
Athens, AL
I didn't read his comments quite that way. He didn't excuse the behavior. He simply tried to explain a view that it isn't good for anyone to be placed upon a pedestal. If/when that pedestal is removed, they are forced to learn to stand on their own two feet - something that the rest of us have to learn at a much younger age.

I have seen, first hand, how a person whose entire identity was tied to his athletic ability reacts to the loss of that identity, and it isn't a pretty sight. They have to re-invent themselves on the fly. Find new motivations for everyday tasks. Find a new way to make a living. All of this and so much more without the same basic skills that non-athletes are forced to develop early in life.

I understand where you are coming from this way....I do apologize if I misunderstood the original post...

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
...But we have to remember, there are many many kids who come through, do their work, get their degrees, and make a great living.....regardless of their background or social class........perhaps some kids turn into men who just don't get it.
Most of the men who come out of this with normal sized egos either have strong parents/mentors at home, or a coach who is focused on more than winning. Coach Saban and Coach Bryant are/were in the business of molding boys into men, not just winning ball games.

I will say it again, we are very lucky to have a man like Saban walking our sidelines...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No, it's not "ridiculous" to say it is society's problem; yes, Santonio is to blame because he did it, just like Jimmy Johns and Sherman Williams and on and on...
We (meaning 'society', and you can get more specific and say media or sports fans or whatever) put them on pedestals; many kids nowadays lack proper parenting and simply do not have the family structure conducive to an upbringing complete with honesty and responsibility, and giving them necessary life skills. Yes, it is society's problem; everyone stop going to pro and college games. What happens then? You think these kids will still want to be ballers then, if they can't make big bucks?
Stop buying the drugs;you think these kids will still be selling them when there are no buyers?
It most definitely is society's problem, but I don't think I ever said it was society's fault, although that too is debatable.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Most of the men who come out of this with normal sized egos either have strong parents/mentors at home, or a coach who is focused on more than winning. Coach Saban and Coach Bryant are/were in the business of molding boys into men, not just winning ball games.

I will say it again, we are very lucky to have a man like Saban walking our sidelines...
Agreed.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Hero worship has been happening as long as there have been heroes....but I agree with you that we make "heroes" out of kids WAY before they have the maturity or experience to handle it. With that said........how many of us get excited because at 16 year old signs with us, because Rivals says he's worth 5 stars? We all do......and I assure you 16 year olds can't handle it either.

So, we have to accept the downside of the current situation....because it won't be changing anytime soon.

But we have to remember, there are many many kids who come through, do their work, get their degrees, and make a great living.....regardless of their background or social class........perhaps some kids turn into men who just don't get it.
agreed.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
I used to love to watch Santonio and Galloway run back during the fRAN era. Never forget their performance down on the Plains during the 31-7 victory over the Barn. I was always fond of Beard and can only hope that he'll make some changes in his life for the better.

BTW, just curious as to any new news on Sherman Williams. Is he out of prison yet? Have not heard anything at all on him in quite awhile...

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Very sad to hear. Education is so important and I wish more of our student athletes would take advantage of getting a free ride to college, especially the football players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.