News Article: Sarkisian letting Texas dictate his staff hiring

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I remember only one time one of our head football coaches was not in complete control of his staff.

Counter–intuitively, it was Stallings.

At the time, assistant football coaches didn’t make anywhere near the money they do today, so they didn’t draw near the attention they do today.

Our offense was falling behind the times (Stallings’ great blind spot), and Hootie Ingram forced him to hire Homer Smith for a second tour in Tuscaloosa as OC. Don’t know if boosters influenced Ingram, but I tend to think not.

I definitely don’t remember boosters forbidding any head coaches to hire someone they wanted, though I guess that could have happened behind the scenes and not in the public eye. And I’m positive that we never rescinded a job offer because boosters objected to the candidate.

Saban was not allowed to hire Freeze in any capacity, but that was by UA and SEC Admin, not boosters.

Also, while I’m not naive enough to think there was no outside influence, I’ve always felt that Bryant, Jr. kept a lid on that. He‘s the biggest of big money boosters, but makes a point of keeping his nose out of the inner workings of the team, and lays a quiet but heavy hand if someone else tries to do so.

The influence that Alabama had been bad about (pre-Saban) was tugging on coaches to attend events — play in my alumni chapter’s golf tournament, speak at my company’s team-building event, speak at my kickoff party, speak at the fundraiser for my Rotary Club, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Long story short, Saban teamed up with the National Alumni Association and they quashed that early on.

Going on a small tangent here, but I think this overall culture has spread to the University‘s academic side. We refunded the $25M that Hugh Culverhouse, Jr. donated to the law school when he tried to influence faculty selection and subject matter taught. Told him his money was too expensive. I was never prouder of the University than when they did that.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I remember only one time one of our head football coaches was not in complete control of his staff.

Counter–intuitively, it was Stallings.

At the time, assistant football coaches didn’t make anywhere near the money they do today, so they didn’t draw near the attention they do today.

Our offense was falling behind the times (Stallings’ great blind spot), and Hootie Ingram forced him to hire Homer Smith for a second tour in Tuscaloosa as OC. Don’t know if boosters influenced Ingram, but I tend to think not.

I definitely don’t remember boosters forbidding any head coaches to hire someone they wanted, though I guess that could have happened behind the scenes and not in the public eye. And I’m positive that we never rescinded a job offer because boosters objected to the candidate.

Saban was not allowed to hire Freeze in any capacity, but that was by UA and SEC Admin, not boosters.

Also, while I’m not naive enough to think there was no outside influence, I’ve always felt that Bryant, Jr. kept a lid on that. He‘s the biggest of big money boosters, but makes a point of keeping his nose out of the inner workings of the team, and lays a quiet but heavy hand if someone else tries to do so.

The influence that Alabama had been bad about (pre-Saban) was tugging on coaches to attend events — play in my alumni chapter’s golf tournament, speak at my company’s team-building event, speak at my kickoff party, speak at the fundraiser for my Rotary Club, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Long story short, Saban teamed up with the National Alumni Association and they quashed that early on.

Going on a small tangent here, but I think this overall culture has spread to the University‘s academic side. We refunded the $25M that Hugh Culverhouse, Jr. donated to the law school when he tried to influence faculty selection and subject matter taught. Told him his money was too expensive. I was never prouder of the University than when they did that.
When it comes to deep pocket boosters, a "donation" is NEVER a "donation".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If Stoops is that good , why isn't he the DC at another program !
Staff members can bring significant value to a team and not be an OC, DC or HC. Whatever value this particular Stoops brother brings to Alabama, it obviously was enough for 1. Nick Saban to hire him and 2. Sark wanting to poach him.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Having boosters meddling intimately in the structure of you program does not augur well for long-term success there. Pretty soon they will be in his post-game debriefs, asking what the heck just went wrong, and what he is going to do about it. Then you lose institutional control, and then you are gone with a show-cause.

Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I was hoping Sark had a long conversation with mac brown before he took the job, as it looks now, this did not happen.

Reactions: bamagradinATL

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Wow!!!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I guess Sark got hypnotized by the $$$$ and didn't negotiate terms very well. When Mal went after Nick it was like - here are the keys, do what you want. At some point a coach needs to negotiate full control and have it in the contract to insure success. At least, that is what I would have done. But then again, $$$$ is very mesmerizing.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Heck...Charlie Strong was here on staff with him. Don’t you think that he might have hit ‘ol Charlie up for some insight into the UTx landscape? Either Charlie lied...or Sark dismissed what he said 🤔
I was hoping Sark had a long conversation with mac brown before he took the job, as it looks now, this did not happen.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I guess Sark got hypnotized by the $$$$ and didn't negotiate terms very well. When Mal went after Nick it was like - here are the keys, do what you want. At some point a coach needs to negotiate full control and have it in the contract to insure success. At least, that is what I would have done. But then again, $$$$ is very mesmerizing.
If I had a 35 mill check in my pocket, I wouldn't be able to walk straight, but I'm gonna win the lottery soon so I'll let you guys know how it feels.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Sometimes the idea of coaching again overrides the red flags that pop up warning you not to do it.........good luck to him, as he will need all he can get
Yeah...but Coach Royal has been gone a long time. Seems like every coach SINCE Royal has had issues. Even Mack had to look over his shoulder once per week. They really got on him for losing to Bama in the '09 NCG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.