BREAKING SC Upholds ACA (again)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

7-2 decision, w/ Alito and Gorsuch dissenting. Haven't read the entire decision, but the initial summary has an air of "We're really getting tired of rehashing this."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
as someone who's family would have an extremely difficult time getting health insurance without ppaca, i am getting really sick and tired of these duplicitous sociopaths continued bad-faith attempts to overturn this.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
as someone who's family would have an extremely difficult time getting health insurance without ppaca, i am getting really sick and tired of these duplicitous sociopaths continued bad-faith attempts to overturn this.
The premise of the ruling--that since nothing was mandatory anymore, no one could be injured by the act--pretty much sends the message that Roberts is sick and tired of it as well.

And it's not like the right doesn't have ample alternatives for screwing people over.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Congress needs to re-instate the individual mandate. No insurance plan of any kind works when only higher-risk people have it. Well, I guess it would be theoretically possible, but it would be godamighty expensive.

In the original setup, everybody had to have insurance no matter what. Could be through an employer, could be through the ACA, could be self-paid. But one way or another, everybody had to have it. When Congress eliminated that requirement, it cut the very basic actuarial underpinnings out.

I don’t particularly like government involvement in private industry, and didn’t support the ACA when it first came out. But I came around when the bugs got worked out after the first couple of years, and you had a combination of everybody having health insurance and the insurance companies were finding it to be profitable.

So while I still have a predisposition against governmental involvement, until someone comes up with something better, I’m in favor of ACA, provided the individual mandate is reinstated.

I am a bit befuddled as to why, given control of both houses of Congress, the Democrats haven’t tried to reinstate the individual mandate.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Congress needs to re-instate the individual mandate. No insurance plan of any kind works when only higher-risk people have it. Well, I guess it would be theoretically possible, but it would be godamighty expensive.

In the original setup, everybody had to have insurance no matter what. Could be through an employer, could be through the ACA, could be self-paid. But one way or another, everybody had to have it. When Congress eliminated that requirement, it cut the very basic actuarial underpinnings out.

I don’t particularly like government involvement in private industry, and didn’t support the ACA when it first came out. But I came around when the bugs got worked out after the first couple of years, and you had a combination of everybody having health insurance and the insurance companies were finding it to be profitable.

So while I still have a predisposition against governmental involvement, until someone comes up with something better, I’m in favor of ACA, provided the individual mandate is reinstated.

I am a bit befuddled as to why, given control of both houses of Congress, the Democrats haven’t tried to reinstate the individual mandate.
at least part of the reason is they can't find 10 republican votes in the senate to re-instate it. i have no idea if it is something they could do via reconciliation.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
This is my most expensive year for health insurance. I’ll get on Medicare September of next year (my wife 4 years after that). Without the marketplace credits I’d be screwed.

ETA - in states that expanded Medicare, insurance is cheaper and there are more companies writing policies.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is my most expensive year for health insurance. I’ll get on Medicare September of next year (my wife 4 years after that). Without the marketplace credits I’d be screwed.

ETA - in states that expanded Medicare, insurance is cheaper and there are more companies writing policies.
2011-2015 were absolutely brutal on us, and that was with ppaca. not sure how we would have been able to pull it off otherwise.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, if Congress eliminates the ACA, they'd best simultaneously institute an alternative. Generally speaking, universal health insurance (as distinct from a single-payer healthcare system...two entirely separate concepts that are nevertheless often conflated), has broad support among the populace.

If you take that away without having a better (or, at a very minimum, viable) alternative already in place, I think that would be political suicide.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, if Congress eliminates the ACA, they'd best simultaneously institute an alternative. Generally speaking, universal health insurance (as distinct from a single-payer healthcare system...two entirely separate concepts that are nevertheless often conflated), has broad support among the populace.

If you take that away without having a better (or, at a very minimum, viable) alternative already in place, I think that would be political suicide.
Actually, the closest system is the Swiss. However, they do have an individual mandate, with teeth...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Actually, the closest system is the Swiss. However, they do have an individual mandate, with teeth...
I didn’t know the Swiss handled healthcare that way. But then you’re the board expert on European health systems.

If the Swiss think it’s the right thing to do, there’s a real good chance it Is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.