Scheduling in the future SEC.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Let's talk scheduling in the new era SEC. Many people make a big deal about playing each team 1 every four years so that players can play everyone in their 4 year career. That does not see a big deal to me, like it does Coach Saban) and evidently it doesn't bother those who go Pro their Jr. year, or those who graduate early and transfer. So I was just wondering how many think it is a good idea and how many think it should take second place to the traditional rivalries. I like keeping the rivalries myself.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
First of all, it needs to be two 8 team divisions. OU, Texas, Mizzou to the West division. Alabama and Auburn to the East division.

Then, no permanent cross overs. The only two "rivalries" you lose are Alabama vs. LSU and Florida vs. LSU. Alabama and LSU aren't primary or secondary rivals and never have been. Florida and LSU have whined about playing one another for years now. LSU especially. It's a historic game, but let's not pretend it's Alabama/Tennessee or Auburn/Georgia.

Thirdly, at least a 9 game conference schedule. Play the 7 in your division. Then rotate 2 a year from the opposite division. Within 4 years, you've played every team in the conference.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The rivalries should take precedence in my view, even the ones that cross conference lines. In other words, the conference shouldn't get so big as to make OOC scheduling impossible. I've been an advocate for a 9-game SEC schedule for a long time now, and if two new schools are brought on board, 9 should be the absolute minimum. Ten would suit me better, with 2 OOC dates, 1 of which should be required to be a Power 5 team (or Power 4 if the Big XII dissolves).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First of all, it needs to be two 8 team divisions. OU, Texas, Mizzou to the West division. Alabama and Auburn to the East division.

Then, no permanent cross overs. The only two "rivalries" you lose are Alabama vs. LSU and Florida vs. LSU. Alabama and LSU aren't primary or secondary rivals and never have been. Florida and LSU have whined about playing one another for years now. LSU especially. It's a historic game, but let's not pretend it's Alabama/Tennessee or Auburn/Georgia.

Thirdly, at least a 9 game conference schedule. Play the 7 in your division. Then rotate 2 a year from the opposite division. Within 4 years, you've played every team in the conference.
Moving Alabama and Auburn both to the East fixes most of the rivalry problems. IMO, it really needs to be a part of this.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
Personally, I love the idea of four team pods and a round robin within the SEC. At this point in history I don't really mind giving up the annual beat down of the vols or the iron bowl, and I'd love to see us play Florida and Georgia on a more regular basis. I also like the proposal the SECCG will be between the 2 highest ranked teams in the CFP poll.
To me, it will just make the seasons more interesting while eliminating the OOC cupcakes. Even with 2 losses we could still get into the 12 team CFP playoff with the SoS (real or perceived).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Part of the reason pods don't work, IMO, is you actually lose year to year rivalries. They will have to group Alabama and Auburn together. Well now what, when it comes to Tennessee and Georgia? It's the same problem with have now with those two games. Alabama isn't giving up Auburn and Tennessee, and Auburn isn't giving up Alabama and Georgia. Well you can't have a pod of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia, because then you've lost the Cocktail Party, Florida/Georgia.

No pods, please.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I agree you can't have pods and keep the traditional rivalries. I just prefer the pods.
I really don't mind losing those rivalries on an annual basis. Especially when those rivalries would really be ignited if played out at the SECCG or playoff games. What good is the Cocktail Party when one of those teams in down? It's great for the FL or GA fan, but not very exciting to anyone else. Other than Bama fans (especially those of my generation and older), who really cares if we beat TN 60-0?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
My preference....

Drop divisions.
Every team has 3 permanent opponents.
Every team has 6 rotating opponents.
This protects all main rivalries.
Every team will play every other SEC team at least twice every 4 years.

Top 2 teams meet in Atlanta for the championship.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I vote 2 divisions , 9 game schedule. Everyone in your division. One From the other division at home, one on the road. After 4 years play the same teams but flip flop the home away!
Second would be a 10 game conference schedule , my preference. All 7 in your division plus 3 from the other ,

Reactions: TideEngineer08

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Personally, I love the idea of four team pods and a round robin within the SEC. At this point in history I don't really mind giving up the annual beat down of the vols or the iron bowl, and I'd love to see us play Florida and Georgia on a more regular basis. I also like the proposal the SECCG will be between the 2 highest ranked teams in the CFP poll.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I say do away with divisions, all conference games only, 3 permanent rivals and standard home and away games picked by lottery every year.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I like the 4 pods Pod 1. Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee 2. Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky 3. Lsu, OLE MISS, Mississippi State, and Arkansas 4. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and Missouri Play all 3 in your pod plus have one permanent from each pod then rotate out with 3 others in pods

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Great opinions going on here and a interesting topic to discuss. I will take things a little further though. I think the Texas and Oklahoma move is really just the first domino to fall. The super conference talk is starting to pick up steam once again and I think this could really become a reality.. in 10 years who knows we might have 20+teams in the league. I could see three of four super conferences in play and instead of playing tons of teams in your own league play 3 to 4 in each league similar to an NFL format which still comes out to around 12 games a season.I don't think money will let tradition and rivals stop this train from rolling personally.I mean yeah we might miss seeing Auburn/ Bama but instead ESPN is saying we have Bama and Clemson and next year we have Bama / Ohio State and so on......Just my opinion.

Reactions: LeBron47

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Great opinions going on here and a interesting topic to discuss. I will take things a little further though. I think the Texas and Oklahoma move is really just the first domino to fall. The super conference talk is starting to pick up steam once again and I think this could really become a reality.. in 10 years who knows we might have 20+teams in the league. I could see three of four super conferences in play and instead of playing tons of teams in your own league play 3 to 4 in each league similar to an NFL format which still comes out to around 12 games a season.I don't think money will let tradition and rivals stop this train from rolling personally.I mean yeah we might miss seeing Auburn/ Bama but instead ESPN is saying we have Bama and Clemson and next year we have Bama / Ohio State and so on......Just my opinion.
I think you've got to protect as much tradition as possible. After all, that's what has drawn the majority of the existing audience to college football in the first place. I think its a good thing that A&M is going to be playing Texas again. And Arkansas is going to be playing Texas again. Yes, Texas dominates the total series in both, but both were fiercely competitive rivalries over the last 30 years they were played.

Texas/Oklahoma, Florida/Georgia, Tennessee/Alabama, Alabama/Auburn, etc. They all need to be played each year. Speaking of the NFL, Dallas playing Washington every year is a good thing. Kansas City playing Denver. The Raiders and the Chiefs. Green Bay and Chicago. Yes teams ebb and flow, rise and fall, but you need that foundation of the traditional rivalries.

There is an Arkansas guy out there, he's a journalist or podcaster, but anyway he had a good take on this Texas/OU expansion. It actually makes things more regional, not less. It renews Arkansas's roots in Texas. It brings A&M and Texas back together. It's going to renew several rivalries for Auburn. About the only bad thing it does, potentially, is it splits us and LSU up. But honestly, that game was simply not that big until Nick Saban came to Tuscaloosa.

So I hope whatever happens from here, we don't just totally trash those traditional roots. The NFL does some things right. But so does college football. We don't need it to become a total NFL-lite.

Reactions: Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.