Scholarship Roster

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Rolltide.com's roster is the full 105. I want to know which 85 were on scholarship. I guess I could look at the last 4 recruiting classes and see who scholarships were offered to, but I was hoping someone else had already done that!:biggrin:

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Ok I cross-referenced the signing classes from 2005-2008 against the Rolltide.com roster and I eliminated the seniors and Smith and Coffee.

I am left with 73 returning players I believe should be on scholarship. My list includes Wesley Neighbors, Colin Peek and Leigh Tiffin. Does anyone know for sure if they are on scholarship?

Neighbors was in a signing class, but I think he might have been on a Bryant Scholarship, which I think means he does not count toward the 85 limit. Anyone know for sure?

Tiffin was originally a walk-on, but I bet he has since been given a scolarship. Anyone know for sure?

Peek was a transfer from Georgia Tech (who will be eligible to play this Fall by the way), so I assume we gave him a scholarship. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

-Sully

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Ok I cross-referenced the signing classes from 2005-2008 against the Rolltide.com roster and I eliminated the seniors and Smith and Coffee.

I am left with 73 returning players I believe should be on scholarship. My list includes Wesley Neighbors, Colin Peek and Leigh Tiffin. Does anyone know for sure if they are on scholarship?

Neighbors was in a signing class, but I think he might have been on a Bryant Scholarship, which I think means he does not count toward the 85 limit. Anyone know for sure?

Tiffin was originally a walk-on, but I bet he has since been given a scolarship. Anyone know for sure?

Peek was a transfer from Georgia Tech (who will be eligible to play this Fall by the way), so I assume we gave him a scholarship. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

-Sully
Sully, I am fairly certain that Wesley Neighbors is on a Bryant Scholarship and does not count against the 85 until he plays a down in a game. Until then, he is on a Bryant scholarship and does not count.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Thanks for the replies. Since there has to be 60 players or less on sholarship for us to be able to bring in a new 25, I was curious how far off we are.

Assuming Neighbors could stay on the Bryant Scholarship and not play in games, I believe that would leave us at 72.

All that means is that there is a decent possibility there are 12 guys currently on scholarship who won't be come September.

Of course there is absolutely no need to speculate about individual players' names on this board, I was just curious about the numbers.

Thanks again

-Sully

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
Neighbors will not count against the 85 limit if he doesn't play in his first 2 years. So as long as he stays off the field until his RS soph. season, he could remain on the Bryant scholarship, play and not count toward the 85 limit.

lorange

1st Team
Jan 21, 2005
Spring training is going to be very important to several players. Look for some to be gone by August.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Neighbors will not count against the 85 limit if he doesn't play in his first 2 years. So as long as he stays off the field until his RS soph. season, he could remain on the Bryant scholarship, play and not count toward the 85 limit.
I don't think this is correct. Once he touches the field, he counts against the 85, even after the first two years, no matter what kind of scholarship he has. This rule was put in place to counter Coach Bryant's use of baseball, track and other schollies for FB players. The "break" of the Bryant is that he doesn't count against the 25 per year limit, if he doesn't play in the first two. If he plays before two, then he back-counts against the 25 limit of his signing year, which is a powerful incentive to hold them off for the two years.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I don't think this is correct. Once he touches the field, he counts against the 85, even after the first two years, no matter what kind of scholarship he has. This rule was put in place to counter Coach Bryant's use of baseball, track and other schollies for FB players. The "break" of the Bryant is that he doesn't count against the 25 per year limit, if he doesn't play in the first two. If he plays before two, then he back-counts against the 25 limit of his signing year, which is a powerful incentive to hold them off for the two years.
I think you're right, and what that all means is really simple. If Neighbors plays in 2009 and counts against the 85, then the magic number is 13. If he don't, the number is 12. Either way, it will be very interesting this Spring and Summer!

-Sully

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.