Scientific Aspects of Covid v.2

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
this is a great read on what changed in regards to the WHO and CDC recognizing the facts on covid being "airborne". Shows how scientists like everyone else can get bogged down in dogma even when the evidence is right in front of them. It also explains (finally) why it took so long for the WHO and CDC to change.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
this is a great read on what changed in regards to the WHO and CDC recognizing the facts on covid being "airborne". Shows how scientists like everyone else can get bogged down in dogma even when the evidence is right in front of them. It also explains (finally) why it took so long for the WHO and CDC to change.

What a fascinating article!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Will they change their views with regards to everything though, like the common cold and flu? Maybe hand washing shouldn't be the most important thing but, mask wearing when you are sick. Seems that people in Japan have had this figured out for decades as most people who are sick wear masks.

I find it fascinating how we humans refuse to change our views or opinions even when faced with clear evidence. This is not just limited to medical science but plenty of other areas as well, like the justice system. So many times investigators focus in on a suspect and force the evidence to support their theories while ignoring signs they may have it wrong. Why are we humans so narrowly focused?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Will they change their views with regards to everything though, like the common cold and flu? Maybe hand washing shouldn't be the most important thing but, mask wearing when you are sick. Seems that people in Japan have had this figured out for decades as most people who are sick wear masks.

I find it fascinating how we humans refuse to change our views or opinions even when faced with clear evidence. This is not just limited to medical science but plenty of other areas as well, like the justice system. So many times investigators focus in on a suspect and force the evidence to support their theories while ignoring signs they may have it wrong. Why are we humans so narrowly focused?
"Bias confirmation"...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It is odd that the scientific community could get something so wrong for so long when common sense made it clear that this was airborne and spreading much further than 6 feet indoors.
By 2/20 even the orange fool knew it (but acted in public like he didn't)
On Feb. 7, during a taped interview with Bob Woodward, President Trump acknowledged that the coronavirus could be transmitted through the air, that it was very dangerous and that it would be difficult to contain. “This is deadly stuff,” he told the investigative journalist.

“You just breathe the air, and that’s how it’s passed,” the president warned
Opinion | Mr. Trump Knew It Was Deadly and Airborne - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Yet Zhang says he wouldn't be surprised if this dog virus is, in fact, a new human pathogen. He thinks the more scientists look for unknown coronaviruses inside pneumonia patients, the more they are going to find. "I believe there are many animal [coronaviruses] out there that can transmit to humans."

And in order to stop a future coronavirus pandemic, he says, scientists need to do more testing in people and seek out these strange, hidden infections — before they become a problem.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

• They were not found in the main hubs of later hotspot activity, in New York and Seattle, but instead the nine samples were located in Illinois, Mississippi, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Of the 24,079 study participants with blood specimens from January 2 to March 18, 2020, 9 were seropositive, 7 of whom were seropositive prior to the first confirmed case in the states of Illinois, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Mississippi.
Conclusions
Our findings indicate SARS-CoV-2 infections weeks prior to the first recognized cases in 5 US states.

DISCUSSION
These findings indicate that SARS-CoV-2–reactive antibodies were detected in 106 specimens, a small percentage of blood donations from California, Oregon, and Washington, as early as 13–16 December 2019. The presence of these serum antibodies indicate that isolated SARS-CoV-2 infections may have occurred in the western portion of the United States earlier than previously recognized or that a small portion of the population may have pre-existing antibodies that bind the SARS-CoV-2 S protein [3]. Similarly, antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 were identified among donations occurring in early January in Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin prior to known introduction of SARS-CoV-2 into those states.

A key question raised by these findings is whether the detection of reactive antibodies in these specimens from December and January indicates infections with SARS-CoV-2 in the US population earlier than currently recognized.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think I posted elsewhere that I met last week with a young lady who lost both parents in the last year and half. The mother's COD was confirmed as covid. The father died in November of 2019, on a ventilator, his lungs destroyed by a mystery virus. His doctors agree it was an early covid case. I've mentioned our friend who almost died in February, '20, after sitting beside an Italian man with a "cold" all the way from Chicago to HSV...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I think I posted elsewhere that I met last week with a young lady who lost both parents in the last year and half. The mother's COD was confirmed as covid. The father died in November of 2019, on a ventilator, his lungs destroyed by a mystery virus. His doctors agree it was an early covid case. I've mentioned our friend who almost died in February, '20, after sitting beside an Italian man with a "cold" all the way from Chicago to HSV...
I had someone in early fall 2019 with a sudden vicious pneumonia that has been suspect on retrospection. There are several complicating factors in the history to cast doubt, though. By December I was seeing some very odd cases that had me scratching my head, but as we have learned more I've become more and more certain of what it was.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had someone in early fall 2019 with a sudden vicious pneumonia that has been suspect on retrospection. There are several complicating factors in the history to cast doubt, though. By December I was seeing some very odd cases that had me scratching my head, but as we have learned more I've become more and more certain of what it was.
The doctors were in agreement that this was an early case. It was creeping through the populace, establishing a geometric springboard...

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Late October, early November 2019, my Mom and her husband traveled from Alabama to Seattle. While there, he developed double pneumonia and spent near a month in the hospital and icu in 2 or 3 different hospitals. I read that the Seattle *flu* cases in fall 2019 had been tested in retrospect, but I also wonder at the sensitivity of the tests used - if one of the early ones.

I dont know if he ever got tested for antibodies, but they both got vaccinated as soon as eligible.

Every symptom he had points to covid. Although there were other contributing factors, not enough to cause the severity that he experienced.
They never figured out what caused such a rapid decline.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Running the findings though the AI system, the researchers found that COVID-19 induced vascular inflammation, causing cytokine upregulation that led to changes in perivascular adipose tissue.

Combining RNA sequencing with analysis of radiographic images, they found that this inflammation was associated with a novel radiotranscriptomic signature (C19-RS) that was significantly more prevalent in CCTA patients with COVID-19 than in those without (p<0.001).

Interestingly, they also found that the UK variant of COVID-19 led to a greater degree of vascular inflammation with this signature than the variant that was circulating at the beginning of the pandemic (p=0.025).

Turning to patient outcomes, the results from the Oxford cohort indicated that patients with high C19-RS vascular inflammation in response to COVID-19 infection had worse survival than those without, increasing the risk of in-hospital mortality at a hazard ratio of 3.31 (p=0.003).

This significant association was confirmed in the Bath and Leicester cohorts, where it was shown that high C19-RS vascular inflammation increased the risk of in-hospital mortality at a hazard ratio of 2.58 (p=0.028).

"An interesting aspect of this came from an analysis of the patients who did not receive dexamethasone" as part of the RECOVERY trial, Dr Antoniades said during his presentation.

Patients with high vascular inflammation who did not receive dexamethasone had a substantially increased risk of in-hospital mortality compared with those with low vascular inflammation who remained similarly untreated, at a hazard ratio of 8.24 (p=0.002).

However, this significant difference between high and low vascular inflammation was “eliminated" when patients were treated with dexamethasone (p=0.18).

"This suggests that, most likely, dexamethasone improves outcomes by targeting vascular inflammation, which is a major finding that needs to be further investigated in a trial setting," Dr Antoniades said.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Wait, are saying they want to use this Ab prophylactically???

In all cases, the antibody delivered in this way worked two days later to reduce dramatically the amount of SARS-CoV-2 in the lungs. That’s important because the amount of virus in the respiratory tracts of infected people is closely linked to severe illness and death due to COVID-19. If the new therapeutic antibody is proven safe and effective in people, it suggests it could become an important tool for reducing the severity of COVID-19, or perhaps even preventing infection altogether.

Wow!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.