Scientific Aspects of Covid v.2

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This report on fomite transmission from NPR is very interesting. I've been pretty compulsive about disinfecting ever since the pandemic began...

NPR
The quote above is from @TIDE-HSV in the previous Scientivic Aspects of Covid thread.

The question raised in my mind after reading the linked article was does the virus die in a mask? It seems this would be yet another reason for wearing a mask. I've read earlier that the virus doesn't survive well on clothing because of a liquid cell wall. I wonder if anyone has tested masks for the mRNA "corpses" that were found on hard surfaces.

Reactions: MobtownK and dtgreg

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The quote above is from @TIDE-HSV in the previous Scientivic Aspects of Covid thread.

The question raised in my mind after reading the linked article was does the virus die in a mask? It seems this would be yet another reason for wearing a mask. I've read earlier that the virus doesn't survive well on clothing because of a liquid cell wall. I wonder if anyone has tested masks for the mRNA "corpses" that were found on hard surfaces.
I've wondered exactly the same and I'm hyper-careful in removing my N95s. However, it would seem that any absorptive surface would destroy the watery/lipid shell...

Reactions: Go Bama and dtgreg

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Yes. We really need to get better at disinfecting the air circulation with ultraviolet and other methods. Spraying down surfaces for COVID is a feel-good alternative to doing what you SHOULD be doing; wearing masks and not crowding together. My god, we are so soft as a nation. I'm still going to stop touching surfaces as much and wash my hands more. It's nice to not have had any colds or sinus infections this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes. We really need to get better at disinfecting the air circulation with ultraviolet and other methods. Spraying down surfaces for COVID is a feel-good alternative to doing what you SHOULD be doing; wearing masks and not crowding together. My god, we are so soft as a nation. I'm still going to stop touching surfaces as much and wash my hands more. It's nice to not have had any colds or sinus infections this year.
I wear a right hand glove, even when going to the doctor. When I go to Costco, I wear two. Even then, contaminating your keys is a problem. :) OTOH, I haven't had a cold in 25 years or so...

Reactions: dtgreg and Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I mentioned a while back that we had friends who'd contracted it, to my surprise. They're very bright. Turned out they'd contracted it from church friends who were asymptomatic. They'd reserved a room in a restaurant and spaced themselves out about 6' or so. It was all I could do not to exclaim "My God, Ken. A shut-up little room?!?" I think they were just stir-crazy. A couple of weeks before, they'd come up to our house to return a flooring nailer and suggested meeting for dinner at the Stovehouse and eating outdoors. We said we'd think about it, but we decided not to chance it, even outside...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's 23 degrees currently (at Noon). Eating outside would be pretty problematic in Des Moines. ;)
This was back in September. Day before yesterday, the high in the valley here was around freezing, with a stiff breeze. IDK how much business they're doing now, even with outdoor heaters...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks like there will be another vaccine, Novavax, on the market shortly. It works basically the same way as the other two, but with an adjuvant, which enhances the immunological response. The adjuvant is two nano particles of saponin from the soap bark tree. I'm sure Trump would approve, since it's getting back close to his idea of injecting disinfectant... :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
First Case of United Kingdom Coronavirus Variant Detected in California, per California Department of Public Health.
SACRAMENTO (December 30, 2020, 2:45pm) – The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has been notified by San Diego County Public Health Services of a patient with the variant COVID-19 virus strain originally detected in the United Kingdom. This is the first identification of the United Kingdom variant strain, sometimes called strain B.1.1.7 or VOC 202012/01, in California. The affected individual has no known travel history. Information about possible sources of infection is still being collected.
Early data suggest that the United Kingdom variant strain may be more contagious but does not appear to be more severe. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the COVID-19 vaccines should provide immunity to this strain.
"The detection of the first case of this United Kingdom variant strain in California is concerning,” said CHHS Secretary Mark Ghaly. “As we learn more about how this patient contracted this strain, I want to stress the importance of continuing our mitigation efforts to prevent COVID-19 and this new strain. This includes masks, physical distance, and during this current surge in California, staying at home and not mixing outside households, and not traveling.”
Two other cases have been reported in Colorado. It is likely that additional cases will be identified in the United States and in California. However, you can protect yourself, your family, and your community with these prevention measures:
* If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches), call your health care provider.
* If you believe you have been exposed, get tested. Free, confidential testing is available statewide.
* Stay home except for essential activities and follow state and local public health guidance.
* Keep interactions to people who live in your household.
* Wear a cloth face mask when out in public.
* Avoid non-essential travel and stay close to home; self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival if you leave the state.
* Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
* Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home from work, school and other people if you feel ill.
* Add your phone to the fight by signing up for COVID-19 exposure notifications from CA Notify.
* Answer the call if a contact tracer from the CA COVID Team or local health department tries to connect.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I need to dig into this further. I have more Neanderthal genes than 90%+ of the general population. I know I'm genetically immune to the noroviruses and that's attributed to a Neanderthal gene...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.