Scott Frost is the 2nd biggest crybaby and hypocrite in college football

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Yeah, my Oregon bud was telling about when he first met his wife in 1991. Sometime after that, he was explaining college football to her, and showed her a poll. She took one look at it and said, "What are all these teams from the Southern United States doing up here in the top ten?" He said, "Because they take it serious down there, it's a way of life for them."

And this is why - I think - that other than the occasional blip of say an Ohio State or maybe a USC, the Southern teams will pretty much always win the championship simply because of the weather. We can play outdoors year round here. (For all that "afraid to play up north in November" pile of crap, those schools all practice indoors when the weather is bad, too).

That's why when his family got all on board with Oregon when they got good, he told them, "They don't have a prayer against Auburn. You haven't watched enough football if you think Oregon is going to win." He told them to make sure they were happy with Oregon going 10-2 and winning the Rose Bowl because their whole hope was to get into the title game against a non-Southern team. Of course, they did that - and still lost, and he won't let them forget it.

I'm trying to think of ONE REASON to go to Nebraska......I visited once and got pulled over by a cop during my three hours in the state.....that's really all. I visited so I could say I've visited all the states. (I got pulled over doing 70 in a 40 near Mitchell, Nebraska on a back road where nobody else was).
honestly I would love for you or somebody to breakdown recruiting regionally for me. What makes no sense to me is how Michigan can be so mediocre in recruiting and people say “no one wants to spend their winter in Michigan” but apparently they do want to spend their winters in Columbus Ohio??? I don’t know much about the city. Like is there is something about the City that makes people want to freeze in the winter there as opposed to freezing in Michigan or Nebraska?? Because Ohio state is not struggling in recruiting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Could Nick Saban dominate at Nebraska? I'm not so sure.

There is a reason he left Michigan State for LSU, and it's not just money. It was almost entirely because he saw the recruiting ceiling in East Lansing was much, much lower than it was in Baton Rouge.

It's kind of like asking could Richard Petty win a Daytona 500 driving factory 1971 Ford F100 pickup?
Saban might be the GOAT, but so might be Bama - it's a match made in heaven.

I don't think Saban would have been this successful anywhere else. And he knew that when he accepted the job.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
honestly I would love for you or somebody to breakdown recruiting regionally for me. What makes no sense to me is how Michigan can be so mediocre in recruiting and people say “no one wants to spend their winter in Michigan” but apparently they do want to spend their winters in Columbus Ohio??? I don’t know much about the city. Like is there is something about the City that makes people want to freeze in the winter there as opposed to freezing in Michigan or Nebraska?? Because Ohio state is not struggling in recruiting.
Well, I'm no recruiting expert. Indeed, I spend my life trying to stay away from "this guy is the next Jim Brown", etc. However, a couple of things worth noting, the most obvious being the inclusion of Nebraska and Michigan together. It works in one sense but in another it doesn't.

1) Michigan is a state of 9.9 million people.
Ohio has about 1.5 million more than Michigan.

Basically, if you add Michigan's population with Nebraska's, you'll be close to even with Ohio. Nebraska has to recruit from other states with a base of about another 8.5 million folks just to draw even - and those 8.5 million are also being recruited by Texas and Florida State and USC and Oklahoma.

2) There's a MASSIVE difference between being at a university in the middle of a cornfield state with nothing else and being a 42-minute shuttle ride to Detroit.

Even if you don't count Detroit, there's more folks and a whole lot more to do besides count corn kernels and talk about how good you used to be.

3) Michigan has to share their bounty with Michigan State....and Wisconsin as well.

So you have fewer in-state people and have to share them with Sparty, which also lowers your recruiting base. And remember this, too - the Upper Peninsula of Michigan folks TEND TO BE GREEN BAY AND WISCONSIN fans even though they are in the state border of Michigan. I've known several from "da UP" as they call it, and every one of them is a Green Bay Packers fan.

4) Ohio made better inroads to Pennsylvania, which borders Ohio but not Michigan

And Pennyslvania is another 12.8 million folks. For many years, Ohio State was able to cut right across the border into PA back when Penn State was an independent and bring folks who wanted to go to Rose Bowl TV games to Columbus.

5) Ohio and PA have what might be the two best high school programs in America or at least up north.

For many years, the nation's best high school team was Moeller High in Cincinnati, so good that Notre Dame decided to hire the Moeller coach (Gerry Faust) in one of the most disastrous picks since Lincoln picked Andrew Johnson as his running mate in 1864. Both states have VERY GOOD high school programs, another advantage to Ohio State

6) The winter weather argument.....is..........

I think the point being made is this. You're not going to get (nowadays) a Mike Rozier from Jersey to go across the country to Nebraska and spend his time in the winter nest there WITH NOTHING TO DO OTHERWISE. It's not so much the "it's cold" as it is "it's cold AND THERE'S NOTHING TO DO." In Ohio, by contrast, well, the Columbus metro area is about one million folks or so. And Cincinnati is a little over 100 miles away. It's about twice that long to Kansas City if you're in Nebraska, though.

7) The reality is that Michigan is the most overrated program (historically) in the history of college football, so we should actually lower our expectations to what they are rather than what they could be.

For years I've heard Michigan is a big deal. For years I've wondered why this is a given.

The pretense of "Michigan is a big deal" goes back to a few things:
a) they've won the most games of all the big schools (but they've played the 6th most)
b) they won the Big Ten a bunch of times in the 70s (before scholarship restrictions)
c) the guys covering CFB are my age and recall Michigan as a "big name"

For starters, they barely have the most wins. Alabama would only trail them by six but for the old "vacated wins" nonsense (and I've never seen a single instance of a team going back and "uncelebrating" a game they won). Three teams (Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame) have better winning percentages but have played fewer games.

Michigan had some dominant teams in the early days of CFB back when Fielding Yost was coaching and the forward pass was years in the future. But here's a reality for you: since 1947 - the year after my mother was born - AUBURN has as many national titles as Michigan does. Is Auburn some sort of all-time great school, the perennial 8-4 team? Are they legendary? PENN STATE has as many as Michigan. Is Penn State some alternative universe program?

LSU has THREE since Michigan last won a title despite playing in a much tougher conference. Is LSU some next-level legendary program?

Hell, Clemson has three since 1981. Is Clemson some all-time great program?

The continued exaltation of UM above accomplishment will never cease to amaze me. Texas and Michigan should meet every December in the Historically Most Overrated Bowl (aka the HMO Bowl).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Saban might be the GOAT, but so might be Bama - it's a match made in heaven.

I don't think Saban would have been this successful anywhere else. And he knew that when he accepted the job.
The cream rises to the top. Those who like to disparage Nick Saban's accomplishments over the fact that he always has the most talented roster miss the point entirely. Plenty of great tacticians never make it to the big time for various reasons, but often times it is because their skills don't extend much farther than the chalkboard (or whiteboard, or virtual projector or whatever they draw X's and O's on these days).

Yes it is a match made in Heaven. Nick Saban is the best coach of all time, paired with one of the very best programs in the country and in college football history. So for anyone out there (not you) who would like to disparage Nick Saban, with the whole argument of well yeah anyone could win big at Alabama, NO. No they could not. They have tried, and they have failed. Not just anyone can win the Daytona 500 driving the very best car in the field. And the most talented driver of all time isn't winning the 500 driving a Pinto.

I've digressed the thread but the point, I think, is well made about Nebraska's plight.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Well, I'm no recruiting expert. Indeed, I spend my life trying to stay away from "this guy is the next Jim Brown", etc. However, a couple of things worth noting, the most obvious being the inclusion of Nebraska and Michigan together. It works in one sense but in another it doesn't.

1) Michigan is a state of 9.9 million people.
Ohio has about 1.5 million more than Michigan.

Basically, if you add Michigan's population with Nebraska's, you'll be close to even with Ohio. Nebraska has to recruit from other states with a base of about another 8.5 million folks just to draw even - and those 8.5 million are also being recruited by Texas and Florida State and USC and Oklahoma.

2) There's a MASSIVE difference between being at a university in the middle of a cornfield state with nothing else and being a 42-minute shuttle ride to Detroit.

Even if you don't count Detroit, there's more folks and a whole lot more to do besides count corn kernels and talk about how good you used to be.

3) Michigan has to share their bounty with Michigan State....and Wisconsin as well.

So you have fewer in-state people and have to share them with Sparty, which also lowers your recruiting base. And remember this, too - the Upper Peninsula of Michigan folks TEND TO BE GREEN BAY AND WISCONSIN fans even though they are in the state border of Michigan. I've known several from "da UP" as they call it, and every one of them is a Green Bay Packers fan.

4) Ohio made better inroads to Pennsylvania, which borders Ohio but not Michigan

And Pennyslvania is another 12.8 million folks. For many years, Ohio State was able to cut right across the border into PA back when Penn State was an independent and bring folks who wanted to go to Rose Bowl TV games to Columbus.

5) Ohio and PA have what might be the two best high school programs in America or at least up north.

For many years, the nation's best high school team was Moeller High in Cincinnati, so good that Notre Dame decided to hire the Moeller coach (Gerry Faust) in one of the most disastrous picks since Lincoln picked Andrew Johnson as his running mate in 1864. Both states have VERY GOOD high school programs, another advantage to Ohio State

6) The winter weather argument.....is..........

I think the point being made is this. You're not going to get (nowadays) a Mike Rozier from Jersey to go across the country to Nebraska and spend his time in the winter nest there WITH NOTHING TO DO OTHERWISE. It's not so much the "it's cold" as it is "it's cold AND THERE'S NOTHING TO DO." In Ohio, by contrast, well, the Columbus metro area is about one million folks or so. And Cincinnati is a little over 100 miles away. It's about twice that long to Kansas City if you're in Nebraska, though.

7) The reality is that Michigan is the most overrated program (historically) in the history of college football, so we should actually lower our expectations to what they are rather than what they could be.

For years I've heard Michigan is a big deal. For years I've wondered why this is a given.

The pretense of "Michigan is a big deal" goes back to a few things:
a) they've won the most games of all the big schools (but they've played the 6th most)
b) they won the Big Ten a bunch of times in the 70s (before scholarship restrictions)
c) the guys covering CFB are my age and recall Michigan as a "big name"

For starters, they barely have the most wins. Alabama would only trail them by six but for the old "vacated wins" nonsense (and I've never seen a single instance of a team going back and "uncelebrating" a game they won). Three teams (Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame) have better winning percentages but have played fewer games.

Michigan had some dominant teams in the early days of CFB back when Fielding Yost was coaching and the forward pass was years in the future. But here's a reality for you: since 1947 - the year after my mother was born - AUBURN has as many national titles as Michigan does. Is Auburn some sort of all-time great school, the perennial 8-4 team? Are they legendary? PENN STATE has as many as Michigan. Is Penn State some alternative universe program?

LSU has THREE since Michigan last won a title despite playing in a much tougher conference. Is LSU some next-level legendary program?

Hell, Clemson has three since 1981. Is Clemson some all-time great program?

The continued exaltation of UM above accomplishment will never cease to amaze me. Texas and Michigan should meet every December in the Historically Most Overrated Bowl (aka the HMO Bowl).
First off this was excellent and very informative selma, thank you, I learned a lot. I am not a Michigan fan by the way. I only wish they could be a thorn in Ohio states side the way auburn is in ours and also because as a college football fan I enjoy rivalries when I am not sure who is gonna win every year (Note: I acknowledge I am a hypocrite cause I want bama to smash auburn and Tennessee every year). I don’t even dislike Ohio state anymore as Ryan day has grown on me. But it’s just strange to me that Michigan can’t even reach auburns level in winning Every now and then against there main rival.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also consider that 80% of the population of Nebraska lives in a 45 minute circle on the eastern side of the state. Me and my buddy were driving to Colorado for the weekend one time and after we hit Grand Island, Nebraska there was literally nothing for 4 hours until we hit the Colorado border. It was like we hit a history channel episode of the Great Depression. There were no credit card machines, service stations where you were served by an attendant, and dirt roads for major highways at some portions.

Really Nebraska is the Omaha and Lincoln area and nothing else. I broke down the difference between them, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa in this thread Nebraska , but Selma did a good job explaining Ohio.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First off this was excellent and very informative selma, thank you, I learned a lot. I am not a Michigan fan by the way. I only wish they could be a thorn in Ohio states side the way auburn is in ours and also because as a college football fan I enjoy rivalries when I am not sure who is gonna win every year (Note: I acknowledge I am a hypocrite cause I want bama to smash auburn and Tennessee every year). I don’t even dislike Ohio state anymore as Ryan day has grown on me. But it’s just strange to me that Michigan can’t even reach auburns level in winning Every now and then against there main rival.
Here's another thing: can we just be honest and admit that Ohio State really runs the coaching searches far better than we do - in fact, better than most schools? They've done an outstanding job on that front. And then compare what has gone on at Nebraska and Michigan.

They literally got forced thanks to the actions of a legendary coach on national television to have to make a coaching hire really without any forewarning when Woody Hayes had to be tossed off the airplane. They hired a guy named Earle Bruce, who was a very good coach but had the misfortune to come to Ohio State right as those 1976 scholarship limitations were really starting to bite the big programs. He comes in and goes 9-3 every year after his first and, well, that's not good enough. Ohio State's fanbase wasn't really all that different from ours between Bryant and Saban (save for Stallings up to a point). Bruce finally had a losing season, and they canned him. Then they hired John Cooper who - yet again - was a very good coach. They were patient with him, and he built a team. Go look at the actual record during Cooper's tenure at Ohio State. From 1993 to 1998; he had five top ten finishes, including NUMBER TWO twice. The problem with Cooper was the same problem he had in Tempe - for maybe psychological reasons or something, he ALWAYS bungled the big game. Every. Single. Time. I'm serious. Change one play in the 1995 season, one in the 1996 season, and a late-game collapse against Coach Saban of all people - and Ohio State MIGHT have won three national championships in that time frame. They for sure would have won the 1996 title when they beat Pat Tillman's ASU team. And then he collapsed, and they hired Jim Tressel, who won a national title his second year at the school. He lied to the NCAA and had to quit, and they got Urban Meyer...who won a national title his third year at the school. And then he got caught up in a mess yadda yadda, and they hired Ryan Day, who looks to be the real deal.

Look at those coaches and tell me a bad one. I'm not making excuses for Earle Bruce, but he just had the misfortune of being the guy who got there at the wrong time in history. He must have been pretty good since in his second year at Colorado State - I repeat, Colorado State - he took them to only their second bowl game in history and their first-ever bowl win. He built Iowa State from an also-ran to a ranked team prior to going to Columbus. If USC doesn't edge the Buckeyes his first season in that Rose Bowl, Bruce probably robs us of a national title (at worst he splits with us), and we all look at him completely differently. Ohio State has done one helluva job hiring football coaches and giving them leeway.

Now go compare that with what has gone on at Michigan. Ever since Bo left, they've been swiming upstream without the power of salmon. They hired Gary Moeller, who liked to play for ties and when he started floundering they floated the idea that Colorado savior Bill McCartney was coming home to his old school to save the day. And, of course, he didn't. Yeah, Moeller had a drinking problem, but if he'd been winning national titles they wouldn't have cared. Then they hired Carr, who takes Moeller's players and wins a national title, carries on the Bo tradition of losing the Rose Bowl, gets his team in a 1 vs 2 against Ohio State and emerges a Michigan hero only to lose to App State at the start of 2007 and everyone decide the same guy who less than a year ago was great should be put out to pasture. So they divorce him thinking Les Miles will marry them, and he leaves them standing at the altar. (Seriously - this one is just like Texas with the whole Mack Brown firing, isn't it?) So they go with the overrated Rich Rod, and he crashes the plane, Brady Hoke isn't any better, and then Harbaugh - for reasons I still don't understand - gets tapped for the job based on....well, who knows? Harbaugh made a Super Bowl only because he was facing the Choke-lanta Falcons in the NFC title game, and they choked, blowing a 17-0 lead.

Nebraska, meanwhile, has run a clinic on how NOT to run a college football program. In all honesty, if they'd kept Frank Solich around, they'd have hung around 9 or 10 wins every year, occasionally have an 11-2 season, and maybe have snuck into a Big Ten title some years back.

The area DOES make a lot of difference geographically in terms of ease/difficulty. But you still need a coach that knows what he's doing to make it happen. Ohio State has a ton of advantages, yes, but they've also "created their own luck," too whereas Michigan and Nebraska have competed with Texas in a contest to see which Skittle color will make it down the commode quickest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here's another thing: can we just be honest and admit that Ohio State really runs the coaching searches far better than we do - in fact, better than most schools? They've done an outstanding job on that front. And then compare what has gone on at Nebraska and Michigan.

They literally got forced thanks to the actions of a legendary coach on national television to have to make a coaching hire really without any forewarning when Woody Hayes had to be tossed off the airplane. They hired a guy named Earle Bruce, who was a very good coach but had the misfortune to come to Ohio State right as those 1976 scholarship limitations were really starting to bite the big programs. He comes in and goes 9-3 every year after his first and, well, that's not good enough. Ohio State's fanbase wasn't really all that different from ours between Bryant and Saban (save for Stallings up to a point). Bruce finally had a losing season, and they canned him. Then they hired John Cooper who - yet again - was a very good coach. They were patient with him, and he built a team. Go look at the actual record during Cooper's tenure at Ohio State. From 1993 to 1998; he had five top ten finishes, including NUMBER TWO twice. The problem with Cooper was the same problem he had in Tempe - for maybe psychological reasons or something, he ALWAYS bungled the big game. Every. Single. Time. I'm serious. Change one play in the 1995 season, one in the 1996 season, and a late-game collapse against Coach Saban of all people - and Ohio State MIGHT have won three national championships in that time frame. They for sure would have won the 1996 title when they beat Pat Tillman's ASU team. And then he collapsed, and they hired Jim Tressel, who won a national title his second year at the school. He lied to the NCAA and had to quit, and they got Urban Meyer...who won a national title his third year at the school. And then he got caught up in a mess yadda yadda, and they hired Ryan Day, who looks to be the real deal.

Look at those coaches and tell me a bad one. I'm not making excuses for Earle Bruce, but he just had the misfortune of being the guy who got there at the wrong time in history. He must have been pretty good since in his second year at Colorado State - I repeat, Colorado State - he took them to only their second bowl game in history and their first-ever bowl win. He built Iowa State from an also-ran to a ranked team prior to going to Columbus. If USC doesn't edge the Buckeyes his first season in that Rose Bowl, Bruce probably robs us of a national title (at worst he splits with us), and we all look at him completely differently. Ohio State has done one helluva job hiring football coaches and giving them leeway.

Now go compare that with what has gone on at Michigan. Ever since Bo left, they've been swiming upstream without the power of salmon. They hired Gary Moeller, who liked to play for ties and when he started floundering they floated the idea that Colorado savior Bill McCartney was coming home to his old school to save the day. And, of course, he didn't. Yeah, Moeller had a drinking problem, but if he'd been winning national titles they wouldn't have cared. Then they hired Carr, who takes Moeller's players and wins a national title, carries on the Bo tradition of losing the Rose Bowl, gets his team in a 1 vs 2 against Ohio State and emerges a Michigan hero only to lose to App State at the start of 2007 and everyone decide the same guy who less than a year ago was great should be put out to pasture. So they divorce him thinking Les Miles will marry them, and he leaves them standing at the altar. (Seriously - this one is just like Texas with the whole Mack Brown firing, isn't it?) So they go with the overrated Rich Rod, and he crashes the plane, Brady Hoke isn't any better, and then Harbaugh - for reasons I still don't understand - gets tapped for the job based on....well, who knows? Harbaugh made a Super Bowl only because he was facing the Choke-lanta Falcons in the NFC title game, and they choked, blowing a 17-0 lead.

Nebraska, meanwhile, has run a clinic on how NOT to run a college football program. In all honesty, if they'd kept Frank Solich around, they'd have hung around 9 or 10 wins every year, occasionally have an 11-2 season, and maybe have snuck into a Big Ten title some years back.

The area DOES make a lot of difference geographically in terms of ease/difficulty. But you still need a coach that knows what he's doing to make it happen. Ohio State has a ton of advantages, yes, but they've also "created their own luck," too whereas Michigan and Nebraska have competed with Texas in a contest to see which Skittle color will make it down the commode quickest.
Good for Nebraska is Solich and Pelini. But the Children of the Corn can’t accept it.

Ponder This…. Nebraska offered Bilema way more money than he was making to get donkey punched at Arkansas, but he turned it down. Now he has taken the Illinois job. Bilema is probably a better coach than what Nebraska has hired since Solich. So it really kinda puts things in perspective at who Nebraska can realistically hire.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Good for Nebraska is Solich and Pelini. But the Children of the Corn can’t accept it.

Ponder This…. Nebraska offered Bilema way more money than he was making to get donkey punched at Arkansas, but he turned it down. Now he has taken the Illinois job. Bilema is probably a better coach than what Nebraska has hired since Solich. So it really kinda puts things in perspective at who Nebraska can realistically hire.
Them dumping Solich after a 9-3 season was the moment I knew that fanbase had left the gravitational pull of the earth. It would have at least been a tad understandable after the 7-7 previous year, but he was showing improvement in a tough situation.

When they hired Callahan, I laughed my ass off. When he lost to Kansas by the score of 76-39, I REALLY laughed my ass off.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

A Solich would have had them competing for a conference championship, perhaps once every recruiting cycle. But yeah, they think 1994-1997 is a realistic long term reality. Oh well, they can continue to learn the hard way.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Them dumping Solich after a 9-3 season was the moment I knew that fanbase had left the gravitational pull of the earth. It would have at least been a tad understandable after the 7-7 previous year, but he was showing improvement in a tough situation.

When they hired Callahan, I laughed my ass off. When he lost to Kansas by the score of 76-39, I REALLY laughed my ass off.
A Solich would have had them competing for a conference championship, perhaps once every recruiting cycle. But yeah, they think 1994-1997 is a realistic long term reality. Oh well, they can continue to learn the hard way.
Living there you realize there are three types of Nebraska fans. The Devaney and early Osborne group, the 90’s group, and whatever constitutes for a group born in September or October 1997. The Devaney fans are some of the classiest fans and will willingly admit firing Solich ranks as the 2nd biggest mistake in Nebraska history. The other two groups are rabid morons that believes that Nebraska is on par with Alabama and Ohio St and only needs to find their Nick Saban to start a dynasty.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Could Nick Saban dominate at Nebraska? I'm not so sure.

There is a reason he left Michigan State for LSU, and it's not just money. It was almost entirely because he saw the recruiting ceiling in East Lansing was much, much lower than it was in Baton Rouge.

It's kind of like asking could Richard Petty win a Daytona 500 driving factory 1971 Ford F100 pickup?
Coach Saban would win at Vanderbilt.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Eh...

Maybe now (literally in the last few years), even then, I dunno if they're dedicated enough to winning in order for Saban to build a winning program.

It takes both the right coach and the right program to build a winning program. I suspect if Vandy hired Saban they'd only have half of the equation needed...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Eh...

Maybe now (literally in the last few years), even then, I dunno if they're dedicated enough to winning in order for Saban to build a winning program.

It takes both the right coach and the right program to build a winning program. I suspect if Vandy hired Saban they'd only have half of the equation needed...
Plus Vandy has strict requirements on players as well. Plus we are assuming Saban and Corbin can coexist together. Both are control freaks. Vandy really isn’t an athletic school and probably wouldn’t really want to satisfy Saban’s wants and desires.

But as far as Saban and Nebraska… He could turn them around, but it’s probably a 4-8 year process. But why would he want to when Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, and Texas have a limitless supply of great instate talent and are more serious about winning?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Of course. But "win" is relative. He would win at the highest level Vandy is capable of, I'm sure. But he's not winning championships at Vanderbilt.

Again, he left Michigan State for LSU for a reason. And it was not money. He also did not choose to return to the college game at Alabama because the money was right.

Recruiting is the absolute life blood of the college game. You need access to nearby talent. You need resources to build infrastructure to attract said talent. Vanderbilt has neither. He would recruit fairly well for Vandy's standards. He'd build a tough, strong willed team. And they would win 7-9 games on a regular basis as long as he could stand to stay there.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, yes. I mean, if James Franklin can win nine games there than Saban sure as hell can.

But I don't think even Saban as great as he is could win a national championship at Vandy under the current CFB setup. I think he could CONTEND back in the days of the bowl games - if he could get a year where he could steer a one-loss Vandy team into the Sugar Bowl with a month to prepare and no SEC title game then YES, he could win a national title.

Under the way it is now with what all is involved, no. Not even Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.