SCOTUS and Roe

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
That seems so obvious it’s amazing they refuse to connect the two problems. The Hispanic workers I have had experience with in the past 5 years have been eager to work with a strong work ethic. Family oriented, they are often sending money to relatives at home. Plus they seem to have an amazing disposition for the most part, happy as clams doing unpleasant work people who grew up here don’t want to bother with.
Completely agree. The difference in work ethic in most outdoor construction related occupations is amazing.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I love how this country has both 4 Million unfilled jobs and a border crisis. These problems can easily solve each other. The gop has no interest in solving problems and never really has
Yes. Obviously calling it a crisis serves as a lever to motivate racist attitudes that support Republican political goals. Europe would love to have our immigration issues.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Completely agree. The difference in work ethic in most outdoor construction related occupations is amazing.
I'm remodeling a fair-sized room for a home office, well, it already was but needed to be put in better shape for it. My regular remodeler didn't seem to have a lot of appetite for removing the popcorn ceiling, so I reached out to a contractor my daughter had had good luck with. When they got the popcorn off, there was some lousy sheet rock work underneath which had to be remedied. The did that, painted the first coat, re-sanded and they're now at work on the final coat of paint. They worked all day Tuesday, the first half of yesterday and will probably finish about noon today. The crew was two Hispanics, with a third joining them yesterday. They work like madmen. It would have taken an Anglo crew a week. A few years back, I had a crew doing some concrete and flagstone work for me. One was Jesus and his cousin Jesus was his helper. It got confusing... :)

20220608_075046.jpg

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This could get interesting...

South Florida synagogue sues over Florida’s new 15-week abortion ban

“For Jews, all life is precious and thus the decision to bring new life into the world is not taken lightly or determined by state fiat,” the lawsuit said. “In Jewish law, abortion is required if necessary to protect the health, mental or physical well-being of the woman, or for many other reasons not permitted under the act [the new law]. As such, the act prohibits Jewish women from practicing their faith free of government intrusion and thus violates their privacy rights and religious freedom.”

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
putting this here

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
putting this here

This is bigger that most of us can imagine...if public funds can be used for private, religious-based, education, then we will become an ever more divided society. There will be Muslim schools, Hindu, Buddhist, and yes, Christian of all sorts who will have their hands out -- legitimately. We will rue the day we allowed this to happen...and I still believe it is unconstitutional, despite what the court ruled.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is bigger that most of us can imagine...if public funds can be used for private, religious-based, education, then we will become an ever more divided society. There will be Muslim schools, Hindu, Buddhist, and yes, Christian of all sorts who will have their hands out -- legitimately. We will rue the day we allowed this to happen...and I still believe it is unconstitutional, despite what the court ruled.
i can imagine the church of satan opening schools

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep, but keep in mind this ruling only applies to states that allow parents access to public funding for private schools. I'm not sure how many states allow public education funding to be directed to private schools.

I'd argue that public funding for education needs to be kept 100% in the public school system. Using public funds to allow students to attend ANY private school (secular or otherwise) seems inappropriate to me.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Yep, but keep in mind this ruling only applies to states that allow parents access to public funding for private schools. I'm not sure how many states allow public education funding to be directed to private schools.

I'd argue that public funding for education needs to be kept 100% in the public school system. Using public funds to allow students to attend ANY private school (secular or otherwise) seems inappropriate to me.
You are quite correct...but that change will be happening so fast...if I am not mistaken SC already allows this and I would imagine Alabama does as well. Due to our diversity as a country (and size) public education has always been a struggle, but it has functioned fairly well. Anyone can take the top 25% and educate them...especially with the money those parents usually possess. When we remove money from the public pool and put it into the private pool, we weaken what is already a difficult if not impossible task.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
You are quite correct...but that change will be happening so fast...if I am not mistaken SC already allows this and I would imagine Alabama does as well. Due to our diversity as a country (and size) public education has always been a struggle, but it has functioned fairly well. Anyone can take the top 25% and educate them...especially with the money those parents usually possess. When we remove money from the public pool and put it into the private pool, we weaken what is already a difficult if not impossible task.
Wasn’t the ruling because Maine had issues with some areas not having a high school for the kids who lived there?

Reactions: seebell

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

This is the problem with the school voucher push where people get money for homeschooling. It guts funding for public education.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I agree and, while I hate even appearing to side with the conservative justices, I kind of agree with this quote from Roberts:
Roberts said the court previously decided that states need not subsidize private education, but because Maine chose to do so it cannot disqualify religious schools. Maine has other options, Roberts added, including expanding its public school system.

Wasn’t the ruling because Maine had issues with some areas not having a high school for the kids who lived there?
Instead of using public funds to aid private schools, Maine should have expanded public education in those areas. They wanted to fund private schools but, pick and choose which ones. If I was Maine, I'd immediately seek to end all funding for private schools.

Wasn't a law recently passed in AL that would allow parents of private schools kids to claim tuition as a tax deduction or something like that?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I really don't know...what I do know is that the current SCOTUS includes 5 Roman Catholics; that denomination has been trying to get public funding for its schools for most of my life. I believe in a free church in a free state -- with no money from the government going to churches. Period. I've even come to believe that churches ought to pay property tax, etc., just as other businesses. If FBC, Dallas can take Covid relief money (they did) then they can sure pay taxes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I really don't know...what I do know is that the current SCOTUS includes 5 Roman Catholics; that denomination has been trying to get public funding for its schools for most of my life. I believe in a free church in a free state -- with no money from the government going to churches. Period. I've even come to believe that churches ought to pay property tax, etc., just as other businesses. If FBC, Dallas can take Covid relief money (they did) then they can sure pay taxes.
there is a massive amount of very productive property that is generating no tax revenue for cities and counties around the nation. and i would imagine that the multiplier effect isn't that great for church property. (fully acknowledging that churches are capable of providing community benefits)

Reactions: Padreruf
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.