SCOTUS and School Prayer

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
This one I really don’t get why it’s a huge deal. Unless he was forcing it then I really don’t understand why this even made it to SCOTUS and it seems more of an overreach by the 9th District.
It's not really that hard. He is in a position of power over these kids, and several of them expressed that they felt they were coerced.

The need to conform, especially in high school, is a powerful thing.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
As long as the students aren't coerced - they can participate or not - I don't see an issue. I think it should happen somewhere where the kids aren't forced to be there (such as after a ball game) rather than in a classroom.

I certainly don't see an issue with a coach praying after a ball game. Assuming it's voluntary as to whether or not players join in (it was when I played), no big deal.
Here at Alabama we've seen over the years how "voluntary" doing what the coach says is. You don't HAVE to pray, just like you don't HAVE to retain your starting role or playing time. He has all the power. Are they gonna let coaches hit on players/students next? This is your RELIGION we're talking about, for goodness sake! What could be more personal? Or more sacred?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I've read the first 24 pages of the majority opinion. From that, I had it pictured in my mind that Kennedy was by himself, kneeling at midfield. The players were either singing the school song or headed toward the locker room. The other coaches were texting, looking at their phones, or in the stands with family or friends.

Somebody hasn't got their facts straight.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I've read the first 24 pages of the majority opinion. From that, I had it pictured in my mind that Kennedy was by himself, kneeling at midfield. The players were either singing the school song or headed toward the locker room. The other coaches were texting, looking at their phones, or in the stands with family or friends.

Somebody hasn't got their facts straight.
I skimmed most of it, including dissent.
Full opinion here... https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-418_i425.pdf

It seemed that the district was ok with him praying by himself, but he was supposed to be supervising kids in the locker room during that time... (He also made a public spectacle about it - perhaps influencing the districts decision) - it would have been easy to say - someone else watch the kids, and pray privately... but he didn't. He informed the media, and made announcements that he was probably going to get fired - seems to me he was egging them on. Then he sued them.

Maybe the public proclamation is a God thing? - idk because i've never had that kind of conviction.

A few players had spoken to their parents that they felt pressured to pray....

Ideally - he could have had a moment of silence with or without the kids, had someone watch the others, and the ones who felt weird about it abstain or speak to a guidance counselor - but here we are.

I didn't say the pledge in HS... a few people side-eyed me, but it was no big deal. The 90s were wild.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I skimmed most of it, including dissent.
Full opinion here... https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21-418_i425.pdf

It seemed that the district was ok with him praying by himself, but he was supposed to be supervising kids in the locker room during that time... (He also made a public spectacle about it - perhaps influencing the districts decision) - it would have been easy to say - someone else watch the kids, and pray privately... but he didn't. He informed the media, and made announcements that he was probably going to get fired - seems to me he was egging them on. Then he sued them.

Maybe the public proclamation is a God thing? - idk because i've never had that kind of conviction.

A few players had spoken to their parents that they felt pressured to pray....

Ideally - he could have had a moment of silence with or without the kids, had someone watch the others, and the ones who felt weird about it abstain or speak to a guidance counselor - but here we are.

I didn't say the pledge in HS... a few people side-eyed me, but it was no big deal. The 90s were wild.
The school asked him to pray in private. The court excused his not supervising kids by saying other coaches were also taking a private moment checking scores on their phones or talking with friends and family.

I think you are right, Kennedy was egging them on. If it happened as the majority opinion was written, I wouldn't have much problem with it. That picture above speaks volumes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It seems like lately the christian conservative justices on the court can't get to the conclusion they want without lying about the basic facts of the cases and/or twisting the law into an unrecognizable pretzel. I'd respect them more if they just came out said they don't care about the facts or the law. It would be bad, but at least it would be honest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.