BREAKING SCOTUS Rules NCAA Compensation Violates Antitrust Law

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A unanimous Supreme Court said on Monday that student athletes could receive education-related payments in a case that could reshape college sports by allowing more money from a billion-dollar industry to go to the players.

Justice Neil Gorsuch delivered the opinion of the court.

Reactions: GP for Bama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Note: I'm not a lawyer, and I know nothing about antitrust law.
My verbiage was taken from the phone update that WSJ sent me in case it's inaccurate.

Reactions: dtgreg

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court unanimously ruled on Monday that the N.C.A.A. cannot bar relatively modest payments to student-athletes in the name of amateurism. The decision, based on antitrust law, came as the business model of college sports is under increasing pressure.

Last year, a federal appeals court ruled that the N.C.A.A. was not free to limit benefits tied to education for Division I football and basketball players. The decision allowed payments for things like musical instruments, scientific equipment, postgraduate scholarships, tutoring, study abroad, academic awards and internships. It did not permit the outright payment of salaries.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The Power 5 need to use this ruling to leave the NCAA and establish their own rules including competitive compensation standards. Let the other conferences fend for themselves. Couldn't care less what happens to them. Maybe model it on the UK's soccer Premier league (relegation & promotion). Bottom feeders get relegated, top teams in the other conferences can get promoted through a competitive bid system. I dunno, just thinking outside the NCAA's limited intelligence capabilities.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the NCAA wasn't already irrelevant, it is now.

Finally.
Well it’s like a few of us on here said all these years… major college football is not an amateur sport and hasn’t been for ages. Either the P5 would form its own group or the NCAA was going to get destroyed in the SCOTUS was the inevitable path forward.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
R.I.P. college football. You had a good run.
I don't believe this hurts college football, at least not Power 5 college football. I think it will completely change the landscape of recruiting, and further separate between the haves and have-nots, but that ship has long sailed.

Hopefully, the SEC, and other conferences for that matter, get their acts together quickly on this and come up with a system that's as fair as possible. I doubt this decision really resonates with recruits just yet, but it will very soon when they see players benefiting from NILs.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
This is a disaster. One only need to look back to 1986, when the Olympics dropped the lie of amateurism and admitted their athletes were getting paid. It spelled the end of the Olympics, for sure.

The only big losers here are the NCAA and the ADs, who are now going to actually share the revenues the players generate with their sweat and blood. Hard to feel sorry for the major beneficiaries of a system based exploitation tempered by faulty rationalizations. Like the slave owners rationalizing slavery saying their slaves loved Massa and they were incapable of living independently in any case. College football will survive, but the lifestyles of the people and institutions that profited off the old system will not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a disaster. One only need to look back to 1986, when the Olympics dropped the lie of amateurism and admitted their athletes were getting paid. It spelled the end of the Olympics, for sure.

The only big losers here are the NCAA and the ADs, who are now going to actually share the revenues the players generate with their sweat and blood. Hard to feel sorry for the major beneficiaries of a system based exploitation tempered by faulty rationalizations. Like the slave owners rationalizing slavery saying their slaves loved Massa and they were incapable of living independently in any case. College football will survive, but the lifestyles of the people and institutions that profited off the old system will not.
Get back with me when you can apply Title IX in the same way to the Olympics.

I’m not gonna pretend I know without a doubt what will happen, but I hold to both contrary positions simultaneously - the athletes should be able to profit from their likeness, and they damn sure ought to be paid when we are about to go expand the season to 17 games. But WHAT will survive with the inevitable lawsuit on Title IX and the reality only 25 football program making money, I’m not sure. (I sit here thinking the obvious need for exceptions for football and basketball should be obvious, but then I remember the women’s soccer team is suing as of there’s the same interest in them as men).

Saying “well the Olympics survived” doesn’t really apply in this situation. I only wish Walter Byers was alive to see his Mafia family wiped out by a unanimous court.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's time for the Power 5 to separate itself from the NCAA.
The teams that can afford to pay can afford to play. OTHERWISE...
They will be the true Minor League of the NCAA.

• Facepalm
Reactions: DogPatch

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So assuming the Power Five does breakaway and forms their own league, what does that do to the recently proposed “fairness and inclusion” expansion of the CFP?

Assuming you take the 65 Power 5 (conference members plus Notre Dame), possibly expand it to take a handful the stronger G-5 schools to push the number to 68-70 members, it would seem 6-8 teams would be more reasonable.

Ya see the power brokers in Power Five knew this Supreme Court ruling was coming. It was the only reason they agreed to be “fair” and expand to twelve teams. They knew it would never be a reality. Guess this means the G-5 teams will form their own conference too and “draft” Tammy Brando as there President, commissioner or grand poobah.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.