Scouting method?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I read the post about the 2 star DL that they are thinking of converting to LB, he lives way out in Texas. I was just wondering of the literally hundreds and hundreds of kids that are Div I rated in the Southeastern US, how do they make their choices of who to go after. I do know that some of our wayward recruits like Barns attended Shula's football camp, but I'm assuming they all didn't. How does the staff scout prospects? do they have additional help for the analysis portion? Are their limits on how many people work in scouting? or are the limits all based on contacts.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
no, I just have to pick and choose when I can get on since I'm working.... :biggrin:

The staff has contacts in a lot of areas that recommend prospects.
Prospects send senior film out.
The staff makes calls to coaches they know and trust.
The staff makes in-person visits for practice or games.
On campus football camps-- big for OL and QBs.

You can see how easy it is for some kids to fall through the cracks.

There are limits as to how many actual staff members can be on the road at one time.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Some coaches also track awards handed out by reputable organizations such as NSCAA, Parade, and USA-Today.

There is also the coaching network where a coach may not have room for a player but thinks he may fit in at another school. Coach A calls Coach B about player X and contact is possibly made.

I think the number of coaches that can be out recruiting at one time is eight. Coaches can call a recruit once a week but write as much as they want. Strangely, the NCAA has ruled text messages are the same as a written letter even though it uses a cell phone. Recruits can call the coach as often as they want. Text Message: "Call me"

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
you guys have spoken about the legality of visitation and contact. I'm asking is it possible for instance for Alabama to hire a staff of people who strictly look for talent, go to HS Games and practices etc... No contact would be required, this being just information gathering. I've noticed that most professional teams have a small staff that does exactly that looking at Europe, looking at the Arena teams, and college, looking anywhere to find the diamond in the rough. It seems with thousands of high schools it makes even more since for college to do this than pro.

relying on coaces and services is so hit or miss. the services ignore all but the successful schools, and believe it or not many coaches at less successful schools want to hide any good players because they don't want to get fired for not winning more, In other words they want to use the we don't have talent excuse. Trust me on that one, seen it first hand.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
bamaslammer said:
you guys have spoken about the legality of visitation and contact. I'm asking is it possible for instance for Alabama to hire a staff of people who strictly look for talent, go to HS Games and practices etc... No contact would be required, this being just information gathering. I've noticed that most professional teams have a small staff that does exactly that looking at Europe, looking at the Arena teams, and college, looking anywhere to find the diamond in the rough. It seems with thousands of high schools it makes even more since for college to do this than pro.

relying on coaces and services is so hit or miss. the services ignore all but the successful schools, and believe it or not many coaches at less successful schools want to hide any good players because they don't want to get fired for not winning more, In other words they want to use the we don't have talent excuse. Trust me on that one, seen it first hand.
This sounds more like sending out a bunch of boosters or agents to look for recruits. The present system is working just fine. I think the days of driving the backroads of America to find some undiscovered cherry is long gone. The media and the camps give a pretty good breakdown on who is hot and who is not. I don't believe our coaching staff uses the recruiting services to make their decisions. They rely more on the camps and film to choose who they go after.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.