BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Texas is 4th all time in wins just 6 behind Alabama, well, 35 behind in on-field wins. Nevertheless, in both cases 4th and until a few years ago they were second to Michigan.

They have won 4 wire service NCs and have had numerous very good to great seasons with 23 one or zero loss seasons since 1916 (Bama's had 36, ND 33, OSU 32, OU 26, USC 25, Mich 24, Neb 19, etc.).The last 10 years have been awful but IMO, they are a top 6 or 7 program all time.

They were a big deal in the 1910s (3), 40s(3, Bama 7), 60s(1, Bama 2), 70s(9, Bama 1), first part of the 80s, first decade of the 2000s they were number 1 in winning % among P5 programs and 1 NC. They've had 20 top 5 AP finishes, Bama 27, 27 top 10s, Bama 45.

They have often been underachievers but they have also had some great teams and seasons and eras.
I'm in general agreement when we're talking about THE ENTIRE HISTORICAL CONTEXT of college football.

But considered in the context of just the last, oh, 25 years....

LSU has been more successful than Texas has.
Florida has.

Since 1996
Auburn 207 - 110 (.652)
Texas 218 - 95 (.696)

I mean, AUBURN? Texas is 11 games better in the win column and 15 in the loss (so about 13 games better, which in 25 years comes out to 1/2 game per year better).

Then remember that Auburn has played in a conference that produced FOURTEEN national champions in that time.Once could easily argue that the only difference in the records of Texas and Auburn since 1996 is the fact Auburn has 15 more losses - TWELVE to the team that won the national title.

And several of those games were close:
1998 - lost by 8 to Tennessee
2007 - lost by 6 to LSU...on the last play
2009 - lost by 5 to Alabama...in the final minute
2013 - lost by 3 to FSU in the final 12 seconds
2016 - lost by 6 to Clemson
2019 - lost by 3 to LSU

Texas, by contrast, played in a league that since 1996 that produced THREE national champions, including the Horns themselves in 2005. Texas has played the eventual champion three times - 2000 Oklahoma, 2009 Alabama, and 2019 LSU.

Both Texas and Auburn have one Heisman winner since 1996, both surrounded by controversy.
Both have one national championship.
Both got robbed of a title shot once at least in theory (2004 Auburn, 2008 Texas)
Both lost a national championship game.
Both have three conference championships
Texas won their division six times, Auburn five (against much tougher competition)

You have pretty much parallel accomplishments in the last quarter century, maybe more (I just picked an arbitrary date).

Then remember that the state of Texas has about six times as many people in it, and UT is the richest university blah blah blah.

Texas is considered an all-time program because of stuff they did a long time ago. But for the last 25 years, they've basically been Auburn, who nobody will ever confuse with an all-time great program. I'm not saying they're not important and not rich. And maybe if I was Texas A/M, well, Texas looks truly awesome.

But joining the SEC with OU, Texas won't rank any higher than the SIXTH best program in the last 25 years, either. And I think that's the point. They have a big name from money and stuff long ago.

Here's a challenge for you:

other than Vince Young years and the 1969 game vs Arkansas, how many big games can you name that Texas actually WON? LSU has a list of highlights. So does Alabama. So does Oklahoma. And as much as it hurts me to say, so does Nebraska.

But what are the Texas highlights sans Vince Young and 1969?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We make fun of Georgia, but at least UT won and played for another NC this century. That's something the Aggies haven't even sniffed.

I know some of you have strong feelings against UT, but to say they aren't a strong program is whistling past the graveyard. Sure, since Colt got hurt they've struggled mightily, but I remember a lot of SEC rivals saying the same thing about us during the 80's and early 2000's.

You might not like them, but they really are a sleeping giant and the jump to the SEC may be the electric shock to their heaving chest they've been needing. They may grudgingly admit it now, but they need the SEC more than the SEC needs them.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We make fun of Georgia, but at least UT won and played for another NC this century. That's something the Aggies haven't even sniffed.

I know some of you have strong feelings against UT, but to say they aren't a strong program is whistling past the graveyard. Sure, since Colt got hurt they've struggled mightily, but I remember a lot of SEC rivals saying the same thing about us during the 80's and early 2000's.

You might not like them, but they really are a sleeping giant and the jump to the SEC may be the electric shock to their heaving chest they've been needing. They may grudgingly admit it now, but they need the SEC more than the SEC needs them.
Look, they add viewers, money, cache, and history. I grant that much.

But to paraphrase Churchill, "Never have so many had so much and said so much while doing so little."

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

1 national title in 50 years. Lot to whistle about

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’d buy your book on the conference realignment saga beginning with the Supreme Court case giving the teams and conferences rights to negotiate their tv rights leading up to current day (which is still unfolding).
Keith Dunnavant did an excellent job with his work covering CFB from the beginning of television until 2004. Right as his book cuts off, expansion went haywire. The book title is "The Fifty Year Seduction." If you didn't already hate the NCAA, you would after the first chapter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Look, they add viewers, money, cache, and history. I grant that much.

But to paraphrase Churchill, "Never have so many had so much and said so much while doing so little."
I get it, but I'm just saying the potential is there...more than any other school. If they come to the SEC, they'll be better for it, just like we've seen ATM improve recently.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A&M Regents meeting, probably nothing.

"The Texas A&M Board of Regents will meet on Monday at 5 pm CT, "for discussion and possible action on contractual and governance issues relating to Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference."
If A&M cuts off its nose to spite its face that would be the most A&M thing ever, as there's literally no option that will come close to giving A&M what the SEC has.

Would be hilarious but I cannot see it happening.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I get it, but I'm just saying the potential is there...more than any other school. If they come to the SEC, they'll be better for it, just like we've seen ATM improve recently.
There's some unique problems with Texas high school football that are gonna handicap the Horns from being among the conference leaders until resolved.

OTOH, I'll grant Sark is a pretty good coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.