BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the SEC gets Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, FSU, Ohio St, and Michigan then it is dead. Only Notre Dame and USC really remain for national brands. There is no way it could survive on 1 major conference and a coalition of mid level teams with two giants sprinkled in.
I agree - I am just not sure that the SEC will get all of those teams. We will see. As I said earlier, the other conferences could decide to stand pat.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree - I am just not sure that the SEC will get all of those teams. We will see. As I said earlier, the other conferences could decide to stand pat.
I don’t personally think it’s going to happen but at this point it probably should happen because the SEC now (if Texas and Oklahoma join) owns around 40% of the major college athletics viewership. It will probably all come down to Clemson. If the ACC dam breaks with them then I think there is enough chaos that will probably lead to many trying to form a weak alliance around who is left against the SEC. But I don’t think Ohio St and Michigan will be on the losing side if the ACC dam breaks like USC and Notre Dame are probably going to be.

Personally what I think is going to happen is that we get 3 16 team conferences, 1 12 team conference, and everyone but the SEC is on pins and needles every time there is a tv contract coming up for renegotiation.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The SIAA is still in existence today, at one time it’s membership included Alabama, Texas, North Carolina, Johns Hopkins, Virginia, Sewanee, Arkansas, and many others!
At one time Sewanee was the football powerhouse of the South. I doubt anyone alive today remembers, though. Tulane was also a strong football school.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
At one time Sewanee was the football powerhouse of the South. I doubt anyone alive today remembers, though. Tulane was also a strong football school.
We had rivalries with both. We used to have a huge rivalry with Vandy, who was a dominant force up to the 1930s and they began to fade afterwards. That’s why Tennessee and Vanderbilt were our crossover rivals from the East division when the divisions were formed in 1992 and we each had two permanent crossovers (the main reason for this was to protect the Auburn rivalries who were Georgia and Florida. Tennessee was as well but we couldn’t protect a third. Auburn should have been in the East from the beginning).

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The SIAA -
The original members were Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina, Sewanee, Vanderbilt, and Virginia.[16][17]Virginia and North Carolina soon dropped out, even before the inaugural 1895 season.[18][19]

Central (Eastern Kentucky), Clemson, Cumberland, Kentucky, LSU, Mercer, Mississippi A&M (Mississippi State), Southwestern Presbyterian University, Texas, Tulane, and the University of Nashville joined the following year in 1895 as invited charter members.[20][21] The conference was originally formed for "the development and purification of college athletics throughout the South".[22]
The SIAA gave way to the Southern Conference-

-
. Talks of a new conference for Southern athletics had started as early as fall of 1920.[8]The conference was formed on February 25, 1921 in Atlanta as fourteen member institutions split from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association.[1] Southern Conference charter members were Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Washington & Lee. In 1922, six more universities – Florida, LSU, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tulane, and Vanderbilt joined the conference. The first year of competition for the conference was in 1922, effective January 1.[9][10] The new rules banned freshman play.[11] Later additions included Sewanee (1924), Virginia Military Institute (1924), and Duke (1929).
I guess conference realignment and creating super conferences has always been a thing!🤣😡🤪😉

BTW, the Southern conference is also still on existence today, maybe the BIG12 can take a page out the SIAA and SoCon‘s playbook and reinvent itself as a Div II conference!

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So I’m hearing tonight that OU and Texas approached the Big Ten at the same time as they did the SEC, but the Big Ten was not interested in OU because of the AAU thing. Now they are getting out flanked by the SEC and are in a scramble. Apparently the move is to raid the PAC 12. USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Colorado. I don’t know how that would even work. This was on the Buckeye Scoop on YouTube.

Oh and Fox is a driving factor. The Big Ten is their most valuable college sports property, and the Big 12 was second and is now imploding.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
So I’m hearing tonight that OU and Texas approached the Big Ten at the same time as they did the SEC, but the Big Ten was not interested in OU because of the AAU thing. Now they are getting out flanked by the SEC and are in a scramble. Apparently the move is to raid the PAC 12. USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Colorado. I don’t know how that would even work. This was on the Buckeye Scoop on YouTube.

Oh and Fox is a driving factor. The Big Ten is their most valuable college sports property, and the Big 12 was second and is now imploding.
I always thought that Dr. Whitt as President of UA was trying to enlarge enrollment so we could become an AAU school. I still believe this could be the master plan and I hope it has not been given up.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I always thought that Dr. Whitt as President of UA was trying to enlarge enrollment so we could become an AAU school. I still believe this could be the master plan and I hope it has not been given up.
One hickey against us is that the Med School and associated research activities is located in Birmingham rather than Tuscaloosa.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well it’s why I keep telling y’all that 2022 isn’t an easy time to set. Sinclair losing their second biggest game of the year really hurts their. I’ve been looking at Sinclair sports media talking heads and keep seeing the same thing… very little coverage of it. Skip Bayless and RJ Young are the biggest OU homers in the media. The first hasn’t said a word about it, and the 2nd is making it out like going to the SEC is the least likely possibility. The only person that has really said anything from Sinclair is Cowherd, but he doesn’t care about higher ups. It’s part of thr reason he got told to leave at ESPN.

But yea Sinclair is a big player in this, but Sinclair is also a big reason for Oklahoma to be fed up. Oklahoma hasn’t had many big night home games because the FOX Big Saturday constantly puts them at noon. They were really mad that the Nebraska game has been scheduled for noon.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
There is far and away a bigger following of Cuse fans than Knights fans. The ACC are in the NYC market with Cuse. But even then ask yourself “do New Yorkers really care about major college athletics”.
All I am repeating is the main reason given for Rutgers. NYC TV market. I have no clue if it worked or not. All I do have a clue about is the excused used for not changing conferences are thrown under the bus when it becomes convenient. All bets are off.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well it’s why I keep telling y’all that 2022 isn’t an easy time to set. Sinclair losing their second biggest game of the year really hurts their. I’ve been looking at Sinclair sports media talking heads and keep seeing the same thing… very little coverage of it. Skip Bayless and RJ Young are the biggest OU homers in the media. The first hasn’t said a word about it, and the 2nd is making it out like going to the SEC is the least likely possibility. The only person that has really said anything from Sinclair is Cowherd, but he doesn’t care about higher ups. It’s part of thr reason he got told to leave at ESPN.

But yea Sinclair is a big player in this, but Sinclair is also a big reason for Oklahoma to be fed up. Oklahoma hasn’t had many big night home games because the FOX Big Saturday constantly puts them at noon. They were really mad that the Nebraska game has been scheduled for noon.
Yeah, 2022 is going to be difficult. It's going to hurt worse for Texas/OU, as playing in that league past this season is going to be extremely awkward.

I just can't see how the B1G raiding the Pac 12 actually works. And what about the precious Rose Bowl then? Does the Big Ten just play itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.