BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Everyone says why? This where college football is headed which is super conferences so get on it early b4 anyone else, my opinion which means nothing

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm trying to wrap my head around what might be the craziest expansion rumor I've heard. There have been ones that might have been bigger (the whole Texas, Oklahoma, etc... forming a Pac-16 and destroying the Big 12 was big). I've heard ones that were pretty dumb, like Colorado St. to the Big 12.

This though, let's put every single football power from the SEC, Southwest Conference, and Big 8 (except Nebraska) in one conference together thing is a pretty harebrained idea.

Financially, if the SEC hadn't already inked their big deal with ESPN, I could see this making more sense. The thing is, it is signed already. So, the SEC doesn't have any negotiations going on. I could see a scenario where they could have used Texas and Oklahoma as leverage to try to get 5+ million more per team, but as it is they'd have to try to renegotiate just to maintain the same payouts.

Politically, I'd think Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St. would lead the charge against this. I really doubt Missouri would like the idea of this either. Remember Texas A&M and Missouri left to get away from Texas and Oklahoma and what was going on in the Big 12. They don't want more of that.

Regionally, I would have thought the Missouri and A&M additions did everything the SEC could hope for in the region. As it is, even with less regional teams the SEC has about as much brand power as the Big 12. Consider LSU, Missouri, Arkansas, and A&M's brand up against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Baylor for example. The SEC has a lot of influence without a lot of investment in the region. If the SEC expands, I would think east and north offer more opportunities for mutually beneficial expansions.

From Oklahoma's perspective I could see the addition making some sense, but rumor is Oklahoma had the chance to join the SEC at least once before and didn't take it. So they have to see the risks as well. They might just fear being left behind financially though. They're in a small state and the Big 12 is lagging behind financially, they might be feeling some unease. Still though, it would be a lot to bite off.

The only reason I can see Texas doing this is either ego or some sort of deep seated fear that A&M is going to surpass them and they can't do anything about it. They have plenty of money already, they're the top revenue generation athletic department. They don't need to move, and they can kind of pick where they go as every other conference not named the SEC could gain from entering the state of Texas.

Really, this makes the most sense to me as flirting with someone to get someone else's attention. The SEC should feel no sense of urgency to add any more teams and if they do they have every reason to be selective. Texas and Oklahoma aren't even their only options out west. There is also Kansas, which would in the least offer a good basketball rival for Kentucky. Once you start going east you have North Carolina, NC State. Virginia and while I'm not in love with them I think even Virginia Tech offers the SEC more.

Even going north makes more sense to me. Not in love with Cincinnati, but Ohio is a big state. Then there's Notre Dame as well. Point being there are other solid options, and that doesn't involve dealing with Texas and greatly annoying Texas A&M. This would in the very least be a risky move, it could greatly unsettle things within the SEC.

Just the rumor itself means something though. It weakens the Big 12 and may be that's what Oklahoma and Texas are going for. They are the bullies of the conference and might have more demands. The other Big 12 teams are going to agree to what ever they say if they fear their leaving, because without those two programs this is is another AAC type conference.

I have trouble making sense of this because there is already so much turmoil and the SEC is already so loaded with football powers. I'm curious how the Big 12, ACC and Pac-12 might react to just the rumors of this.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Supposedly this has been burning behind the scenes for awhile. While I dont think that NIL is driving the move , I can’t help but think that it is expediting it!

Reactions: JDCrimson

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Baylor's tortious interference lawsuit (or threat of lawsuit?) a decade ago suggests to me that this whole thing is some minion speaking out of turn about what he'd like to see happen, and some media guy ran with it. Perhaps it's a play to get the Big 12 to go for unequal revenue distribution so TX & OK can get more than their share. I expect both TX & OK administrators to vigorously deny any discussions have taken place, and I expect the SEC Office to either deny any substantive discussions have taken place, or (more likely) to have no comment on the matter

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Not.A.Chance. That ship sailed a decade ago...the SEC would gain nothing from them and this would make winning the SEC championship even more difficult for all teams. Doesn't increase television viewership possibilities over what it is now...doesn't even add money to other schools...a non-starter.
OK...may a snowball's chance....
Ok boomer.

Is this satire? You sound literally scared. If adding those two teams to the conference doesn't get you excited, are you even a fan of college football at all? You erroneously claim the SEC would gain nothing, Do you realize how much $$$ those two teams pull in with their own fanbases. Not to mention a bigger geographical footprint, multiple new revenue opportunities. The quality of games increase substantially. Go ahead and do some research how how much money those teams make and go back and read what you said. What a weak and spineless comment to one of the most exciting realignment news drops in years.

It makes no financial sense. None. We have Texas A&M to pull in the viewers in the Southwest. They need us a heck of a lot more than we need them.
You are literally doubling down on this point. Stand by, and I'll be back with some financial statements to fix this bone in your head

2020 UT- 200 Million $

OU with a cool 83 million in 2020 During the pandemic nontheless

Texas has been raking in the money for the entire decade of their mediocrity in 2018-2019 they set a new record for 223 million

OU coming at 8th nationally for revenue 2018-19 with 175 million which was a decrease from the previous year

I think if you don't know anything about finance and are only looking at the expansion with your bias and how much "harder" winning the SEC title can be :rolleyes: , you can convince yourself to believe things like "it makes no financial sense". A move like UT and OU coming to the SEC would be an earth shattering move. Top recruits every year come to Alabama to compete with the best every day. The best players want to compete against the best. Bring. it. on.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ok boomer.

Is this satire? You sound literally scared. If adding those two teams to the conference doesn't get you excited, are you even a fan of college football at all? You erroneously claim the SEC would gain nothing, Do you realize how much $$$ those two teams pull in with their own fanbases. Not to mention a bigger geographical footprint, multiple new revenue opportunities. The quality of games increase substantially. Go ahead and do some research how how much money those teams make and go back and read what you said. What a weak and spineless comment to one of the most exciting realignment news drops in years.

You are literally doubling down on this point. Stand by, and I'll be back with some financial statements to fix this bone in your head

2020 UT- 200 Million $
This is not the "most exciting realignment news drops in years". This is a rumor with zero proof other than multiple news sources reporting it to be true. I still don't buy that it is true. Even if it is true, you are just cool with texas ruining a third conference? They killed the SWC and then ticked off the Big 12 so had 4 teams leave and the conference was so desperate that they had to go get West Virginia. texas is a blackhole that is trying to suck the world down with them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Go ahead and do some research how how much money those teams make and go back and read what you said.
I have already extensively done all of that.

They both are poor additions. This is coming from someone that said Missouri and A&M would both be good additions and that Missouri would join if given the chance over a year before it happened. The SEC is already good at football. The SEC is already in the state of Texas. These are redundant additions.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is not the "most exciting realignment news drops in years". This is a rumor with zero proof other than multiple news sources reporting it to be true. I still don't buy that it is true. Even if it is true, you are just cool with texas ruining a third conference? They killed the SWC and then ticked off the Big 12 so had 4 teams leave and the conference was so desperate that they had to go get West Virginia. texas is a blackhole that is trying to suck the world down with them.
If you think for a second Texas asking to join the SEC means their going to have the same weight as they had in the Big XII you need to fix your thinking. They're not going to have the same PULL dude

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I’m intrigued. I think the sport will continue to evolve. The SEC may want to go ahead and stake this claim before someone else does. Power play by the SEC. “We’re bigger, better, and more powerful than you.”

I think it could be very exciting. New is exciting sometimes, right? Texas is the wealthiest program there is. Why would the SEC not want to bring them in? Not talking about individual teams in the SEC, but the conference. Money-wise and football-wise, I’m intrigued.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have already extensively done all of that.
Go ahead and share your findings, I did. OU and UT have been top ten nationally in revenue for multiple years in a row. How is that a "poor addition"? Explain? Facts is facts, you need to remove your emotions from the facts.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Go ahead and share your findings, I did. OU and UT have been top ten nationally in revenue for multiple years in a row. How is that a "poor addition"? Explain? Facts is facts, you need to remove your emotions from the facts.
Wait what you posted is all you got? I posted more information about Texas' financial situation than that in the NIL thread.

Your view is really quite overly simplistic, but let's look at it another way. Care you explain how Oklahoma would be a better addition than North Carolina for example?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If this were to somehow happen (it wont) then Alabama will most likely be in the East.

West

Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Missouri
Texas A&M
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St

East

Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.