BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I tend to agree with this general assessment. Aggies & Bears & Cougars are currently working the hotlines to the TX legislature to put the kibosh on it.

I've said that Aggies may want to use this opportunity to squeeze as much leverage as they can out of the process before deciding to then vote yes to make it unanimous. Who knows. It's Texas so it has to include all kinds of subterfuges happening as we speak! :D
I honestly hope the politicians fail.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wow....this has moved at break-neck speed.

Can't believe they kept it under wraps as long as they did. Quite amazing in today's world.

I guess welcome to the new age of college football - $EC!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Looks to me like there's enough money on the table to take care of Sinclair, NBC and everyone else at the table if this goes down. I don't think money owed to those entities will prevent any of the expansion. The big dollars are sitting at he SEC table, everyone else is small potatoes.
Well keep in mind that Sinclair took away 80% of potential MLB viewers by refusing to play ball with streaming services. They have more money than Texas and are just as shrewd. To give you an idea… they own 90% of local news channels across the country.

I just don’t think Texas and Oklahoma are going to pay all of that get out of the contract fees along with the Big XII fees (78 million each). I still think 2024 is the earliest we could see this.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I just don’t think Texas and Oklahoma are going to pay all of that get out of the contract fees along with the Big XII fees (78 million each). I still think 2024 is the earliest we could see this.
2 days ago I would have agreed with you...today all bets are off. This is the most dramatic change I have seen in CFB and college sports...the next will be that the new SEC pulls out of the NCAA and establishes their own rules...joined eventually by 3 other conferences.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wow....this has moved at break-neck speed.

Can't believe they kept it under wraps as long as they did. Quite amazing in today's world.

I guess welcome to the new age of college football - $EC!
Consider the playoff expansion to 12, which was also essentially a done deal by the time it was announced publicly. The last round of expansion taught these folks a lot about how to carry this out. You cannot allow the media and political circus to take hold of things if you want to get things done.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2 days ago I would have agreed with you...today all bets are off. This is the most dramatic change I have seen in CFB and college sports...the next will be that the new SEC pulls out of the NCAA and establishes their own rules...joined eventually by 3 other conferences.
That’s probably going to happen. But legal nonsense is still going to be legal nonsense. I still say 2024 at earliest to let the others get on board with it and have a smoother transition to a new world.

Reactions: Padreruf

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Consider the playoff expansion to 12, which was also essentially a done deal by the time it was announced publicly. The last round of expansion taught these folks a lot about how to carry this out. You cannot allow the media and political circus to take hold of things if you want to get things done.
I still think the 12 team playoff really goes back to the drawing board if this happens. Because in all likelihood we are adding more games to the regular season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If they were to make a move in weeks. What does that do to the 2022-2023 Bama vs Texas series??
Do they just keep it is and make a
Conference game???
It’s not likely to happen that fast so yes I think it’s safe to assume we are playing in Austin again the owners of LHN next year, Tuscaloosa is another question.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This all went from "don't post rumours" to "new division layout" in record time.

How did this happen, and how do I make it stop?
My brother - a news producer who was with a camera man outside Aaron Hernandez's house when they arrested him, mind you - says he hasn't seen anything this significant in sports move THIS fast in 15 years of producing news. As he said, "You're tracking down one story and another one fires off in the opposite direction."

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
If they were to make a move in weeks. What does that do to the 2022-2023 Bama vs Texas series??
Do they just keep it is and make a
Conference game???
I think when they say it could happen in weeks what they mean is the announcement could happen in weeks. But that announcement may be that they will be joining the conference starting in the 2025 season or 2024 season or something like that. There will likely be a gap between when it happens officially and when we actually see a change on the field or on the schedule

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am reminded of A.N Whitehead's comment when asked what the greatest evil, was...was it ignorance? He said, "No, it is not knowing...it is not knowing that you do not know." (My quote at the bottom of the page...)

I am guilty as charged...this is incredible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.