BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas was the glue that held the Big 12 together.

Now, if the Big Ten doesn't want Kansas or Iowa State, and if the Pac 12 isn't interested in any of the others, as well as the ACC, then maybe the remaining 8 do cobble together with the top AAC schools. However, is that league going to be granted Power 5 status? I don't think so.

The Pac 12 particularly has to be desperate right now to expand their footprint in order to make their television deals more attractive to carriers. Their only options are the Big 12 castaways. So I think at least some of the remaining 8 are going to be invited to join the Pac 12.

Again, I just cannot see a way the Big 12 survives in any shape or form.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 2 Miss schools are more attractive than Kansas and Iowa St.
Of course they are.

Some of the hottest women on the planet come from Mississippi, and the big thing for the toothless "babes" in the wheat/cornfields is to take them to a tractor pull, on a hayride with heavy mosquito repellent, or to a Monster truck rally in Kansas City. There's a reason why some farmers are involved with their sheep in that neck of the woods.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Texas was the glue that held the Big 12 together.

Now, if the Big Ten doesn't want Kansas or Iowa State, and if the Pac 12 isn't interested in any of the others, as well as the ACC, then maybe the remaining 8 do cobble together with the top AAC schools. However, is that league going to be granted Power 5 status? I don't think so.

The Pac 12 particularly has to be desperate right now to expand their footprint in order to make their television deals more attractive to carriers. Their only options are the Big 12 castaways. So I think at least some of the remaining 8 are going to be invited to join the Pac 12.

Again, I just cannot see a way the Big 12 survives in any shape or form.
That glue cracked when A&M and Missouri left. The death of the Big 12 was inevitable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That glue cracked when A&M and Missouri left. The death of the Big 12 was inevitable.
When Nebraska and Colorado left Texas had the opportunity to make things right but chose not to. Missouri was probably leaving regardless after 2011.

But even then… Texas could have tried to get Notre Dame on board but egos collided.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree this was inevitable. The league never felt right after those 4 charter members left. The addition of West Virginia and TCU helped in number only. West Virginia especially has never seemed normal in that conference. It was always a poorly pieced together Frankenstein of a league, but Texas leaving is literally the pull the plug moment.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I got a kick out of a longhorn on burnt orange nation acting like Alabama is not a player in the conference cause all of our success was due to “two guys”. Ok so here is the thing. Alabama was a power house form from 1923-1945 also. I find it hard to believe unless something cataclysmic happens that after 3 golden eras. There won’t be a fourth. Not saying it will be as good as the current dynasty. No one can foresee that. But from 1983 to 2006. Alabama made every dumb decision a program could possible make. Still won a national title and 3 sec championships. Somewhere down the line everyone deals with an elite Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I got a kick out of a longhorn on burnt orange nation acting like Alabama is not a player in the conference cause all of our success was due to “two guys”. Ok so here is the thing. Alabama was a power house form from 1923-1945 also. I find it hard to believe unless something cataclysmic happens that after 3 golden eras. There won’t be a fourth. Not saying it will be as good as the current dynasty. No one can foresee that. But from 1983 to 2006. Alabama made every dumb decision a program could possible make. Still won a national title and 3 sec championships. Somewhere down the line everyone deals with an elite Alabama.
Yes and Texas was Darrell Royal and………back when only white dudes wore orange.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So how many "guys" has Texas had? One?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
From everything I have heard today, Oklahoma is almost a done deal and texas "things are still being worked out"
And it starts before UT even walks down the aisle, much less says "I do." Do not count the chickens just yet...they need the SEC far more than the SEC needs them. I just hope Sankey and friends know how to play poker...

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well you must love annoying traditions. Out of the two (if we a strictly talking about the field) I am more excited about playing Texas. Boomer Sooner is probably the MOST annoying fight song next to Rocky Top. I guess it’s more annoying since Tennessee only gets to play Rocky Top less than 5 times per game.

Also constantly fearing that we have to stop a game for 30 minutes because someone takes a sharp turn on the Schooner.
Actually, I live in Tulsa and don't go to any football games. So it's going to be nice to see the Tide play in Norman. I could care less about what traditions OU has that may be silly, some of us are getting the chance to watch our team play a conference game for the first time. I've only been to bowl games, other than the Penn State game in Tuscaloosa years ago. So this is going to be so fun, and I know some members on this board will be there in Norman to watch Alabama too!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I agree. I still think it's more likely they choose the ACC if forced. Recruiting would be better for them if they continued to have a consistent presence in that footprint vs. the Big Ten footprint. Yes... they are a national brand and will continue to recruit nationally but every team has to have it's dependable base of operations.
ND cannot join any conference other than the ACC until after the 2036 season…

• Thank You
Reactions: PaulD

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Actually, I live in Tulsa and don't go to any football games. So it's going to be nice to see the Tide play in Norman. I could care less about what traditions OU has that may be silly, some of us are getting the chance to watch our team play a conference game for the first time. I've only been to bowl games, other than the Penn State game in Tuscaloosa years ago. So this is going to be so fun, and I know some members on this board will be there in Norman to watch Alabama too!
I’ll probably end of going to tell the truth. But the song is beyond annoying ever since they started scoring ten billion points a game.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Here's the thing about Texas and Oklahoma. In this scenario, someone's beauty is going to fade.

I get it, right now Texas is the hot high maintenance gold digging chick that you tolerate because she's so freaking hot you don't care that she ruined the lives of her last two husbands.

I also get that Oklahoma is the hot chick missing a few teeth but as long as she doesn't smile you think she look pretty darn good.

The problem is what are they going to look like after a few years of literally getting beat up? When this is all said and done, the SEC won't have a bunch of beauty queens, someone is going to look like they've been doing meth. So who is it? LSU? Oklahoma? Texas? Georgia?

Someone's going to end up looking a lot less attractive, and that's why you can't make additions based on primarily one attribute.
Texas A&M was a disaster in the BigXII. Look at them now, that SEC Facelift rebranded their entire program. Maybe the SEC is Oklahoma's orthodontist, and we just turn OU into a bombshell with nice teeth.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Texas A&M was a disaster in the BigXII. Look at them now, that SEC Facelift rebranded their entire program. Maybe the SEC is Oklahoma's orthodontist, and we just turn OU into a bombshell with nice teeth.
Jimbo Fisher is by far the best coach they have hired in years...he will have them competing year in and year out. I just hope they can schedule UT every year and kick their buttuski all the way back to Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.