BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think this may actually kill Texas athletics more than severely injure Alabama.
I was not concerned about "severe" injury but that it could hurt a little bit of Bama's burgeoning recruiting success in Texas. Bama was getting 1-3 Texas recruits per year til last year when the number ballooned to 7. Now with UTx in the SEC, conf affiliation, which is often big, will not be an advantage for SEC schools. The other issue is they and more certainly OU could become another obstacle for Bama's success (as well as everyone else's) within the league.

Reactions: FaninLA

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I doubt Abbot would call a special session over it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t a player in this thing.

I think the whole point with this story breaking was for aTm to cause chaos and potentially force Texas to stay put due to pressure. Texas has left in the middle of the night before on conferences so I guarantee you that was probably their plan.
Well, they are already in a Special Session, but with some legislators MIA. Hmmmmm. Can Governor Abbott add this to the list of things that he has already listed for calling that Special Session? Probably not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was not concerned about "severe" injury but that it could hurt a little bit of Bama's burgeoning recruiting success in Texas. Bama was getting 1-3 Texas recruits per year til last year when the number ballooned to 7. Now with UTx in the SEC, conf affiliation, which is often big, will not be an advantage for SEC schools. The other issue is they and more certainly OU could become another obstacle for Bama's success (as well as everyone else's) within the league.
I just don’t see it. Texas has never been a big deal as a football program, and signing with the SEC is most likely not changing that. We got them for their money, and not their athletic potential.

OU might survive but Texas most likely is in for a rude awakening because they have never seen the baseball or football competition that they are about to see

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
OU might survive but Texas most likely is in for a rude awakening
OU will be perfectly fine, may see some bruises over the next few years and growing pains but OUs thinking in football aligns perfectly with the SEC in many ways. If texas dont get their **** together soon (i've heard this move may be done by next season) they will get smacked around by everyone.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I have to ask.... What does this proposed expansion benefit the 14 current SEC schools?
Uhhhhh! Uhhhh! I can't think of anything except more losses for certain teams. Now, it may help if/when Texas forms a new Texas Republic. All teams and their states will be ANNEXED to that reincarnated Republic. The Lone Star Republic #2. Remember! POWER Hungry Longhorns have to be in Control. Will they rename the SEC, the Lone Star Conference?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
OU will be perfectly fine, may see some bruises over the next few years and growing pains but OUs thinking in football aligns perfectly with the SEC in many ways. If texas dont get their **** together soon (i've heard this move may be done by next season) they will get smacked around by everyone.
I really have doubts that they can. Ever since the Big XII happened it’s always pretty much been Oklahoma’s conference. Texas has money but they are seriously lacking in the hardware department. They are basically Georgia about how they brag. But they have never seen competition like this before. Oklahoma has.

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
Uhhhhh! Uhhhh! I can't think of anything except more losses for certain teams. Now, it may help if/when Texas forms a new Texas Republic. All teams and their states will be ANNEXED to that reincarnated Republic. The Lone Star Republic #2. Remember! POWER Hungry Longhorns have to be in Control. Will they rename the SEC, the Lone Star Conference?
Texas wont have the pull in the SEC as they have had in the BIG12. Texas and OU is their only money makers so they had it easy and could ask for anything and got it because the Big12 commissioner was a wuss, which is why the other teams flew the coop and OU was just mere minutes away from leaving back around 2010. UT may still have the money but so will 5 other schools that also have the power money, so they wont get much say about anything if the current heads of the SEC have any say over it. Everyone with a brain knows that UT doesn't leave the B12 without OUs permission.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If this statement prompts someone to delve into politics the comment will be deleted and the poster is subject to an involuntary vacation, but how much does the Texas legislature lacking a quorum play into the timing of this? There is no way for the legislature to intervene to stop it right now.
Greg Abbott is a Texas native who graduated from UT.

Why would he want to stop it? (He also graduated from Vanderbilt Law).

I talked to my Longhorn bud today, and he noted that if Rick Perry (the former Aggie cheer guy) was still governor, this might be going in a different direction - probably would.

But it's highly doubtful. The bizarre part is that while Texas in theory has options (like going Indy), the Big 12 doesn't.

I just don't see it fwiw.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
The Aggies vs Horns was bound to happen again and this is just another reason the marriage makes sense. No way does politics prevent Texas from moving. A&M did and denying Texas would be arbitrary and capricious.

This move is all about money and although many thought the NIL wasn't a game changer it's partly involved in this decision. I also saw where OU has been complaining about their kick off times for a while now. Bowlsby is an idiot for not seeing this coming. OU has been the premier team in that conference but they've been plagued with non-prime time early kickoffs.

I guaranty the highest level of ESPN and possibly Disney are involved too. The money is astronomical especially when you add in the BBall tourney. That's very much up in the air as well. Times a changin folks. Nothing will look the same in a few years. Some for the good and some not. I'm kind of excited about it though. I don't think it hurts Alabama at all. We're THE premier football school in the country and with NIL almost every player is going to leverage that into a tidy sum. Not something they can do at most schools.

Reactions: BamaInBham

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If this statement prompts someone to delve into politics the comment will be deleted and the poster is subject to an involuntary vacation, but how much does the Texas legislature lacking a quorum play into the timing of this? There is no way for the legislature to intervene to stop it right now.
NT18,

Sorry I misread your post. So if my comment sounded like mansplaining, I didn't mean it that way.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
@selmaborntidefan whats the real difference between horns fans and aggies
The main difference is Aggie fans (not all of them obviously) have a smug arrogance about that damn Aggie code (or whatever it is) that is sorta like a religious document you set aside when it becomes inconvenient.

Both are delusional to the point of psychosis.

Texas REALLY DOES BELIEVE they're one of the greatest football programs in history, but they come up with that idea based on money.

ATM is sorta like Auburn in being a little brother with a bit of an inferiority complex, but the difference is that AMT was willing to set out on their own and leave the conference.

When both lose, the excuses are legion, which is why I should have trademarked "If Colt hadn't got hurt."

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I really have doubts that they can. Ever since the Big XII happened it’s always pretty much been Oklahoma’s conference. Texas has money but they are seriously lacking in the hardware department. They are basically Georgia about how they brag. But they have never seen competition like this before. Oklahoma has.
That's interesting as I agree, having always felt like UGA was UTx lite: interesting music and social scene, good academics, good football but almost always underachieving, and an inflated view of themselves. Previously UGA, like UTx, felt too superior to go all in on football but they have changed their culture. Now they are all-in but are held back by a mentally challenged (not stupid but just avg intelligence for a HC) coach. Doesn't mean they might not stagger into a championship but IMO, they will consistently underachieve primarily because of him.

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
I also saw where OU has been complaining about their kick off times for a while now.
This I believe is what drove the nail in the coffin, when Oklahoma had spent damn near 10 years working on the NU vs OU 50th year anniversary of the Game of the Century, Bowlsby and Fox told OU to eat it and put the kickoff at 11am. Fox has been doing this with the RRR as well since they took the license deals for the Big12, every year its an 11am kickoff, and OUs games have all been 80% noon kickoffs because that's Fox's prime slot. The entire fanbase of OU has been asking for later kickoffs for years now.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Hmmmmm. Will the "Eyes of Texas" be coming to the SEC? Or, will we only hear, "I've been working on a Railroad"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.