BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
And so it begins, except I'd have guessed it would have been a UTx poster at the front of the line. I hope this doesn't become representative of the new OU posting crowd...
I've actually been rummaging through several boards today just to see what the temperature is around the league. Saw some people here making fun of the aggs so I figured I would try and join in on the fun a little.

Reactions: UAllday and Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've actually been rummaging through several boards today just to see what the temperature is around the league. Saw some people here making fun of the aggs so I figured I would try and join in on the fun a little.
We particularly don’t like them because of Jimbo and their cheer squad. They are some of the nicest fans I’ve met during a road trip, but I’m sure they aren’t as nice for Texas and Oklahoma.

Reactions: The Ols

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
We particularly don’t like them because of Jimbo and their cheer squad. They are some of the nicest fans I’ve met during a road trip, but I’m sure they aren’t as nice for Texas and Oklahoma.
Funny enough i lived in College Station back in 09-10, the campus isn't really that great to be honest. But yea, they are dicks to OU fans because we always beat them up and they hate texas well because who doesn't. I was living there and worked on campus as one of their heavy equipment mechanics when they announced their move to the SEC and holy friggen crist they were the most obnoxious people in the world at that time, you would of thought they already won the SEC title that year the way they were strutting around campus.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well it’s always odd since Bedlam is only an interesting rivalry when it’s in Stillwater, but it’s usually a butt whooping. It maybe worse than the Florida-Kentucky rivalry… no offense but I’ve never seen Oklahoma St as a good addition anywhere.
When was the last time Oklahoma State beat OU? Have they done it in the 21st Century?

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
I used to live in Nebraska and man I have to say the hatred they have for y’all is something I have never seen before. I thought the way they act that they were your true rivals.
Yes, we are THEIR biggest rivals, but OU sees it as more of we got to let little brother have a try every year. Texas has always been our biggest rival.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I just don’t see it. Texas has never been a big deal as a football program, and signing with the SEC is most likely not changing that. We got them for their money, and not their athletic potential.

OU might survive but Texas most likely is in for a rude awakening because they have never seen the baseball or football competition that they are about to see
Texas is 4th all time in wins just 6 behind Alabama, well, 35 behind in on-field wins. Nevertheless, in both cases 4th and until a few years ago they were second to Michigan.

They have won 4 wire service NCs and have had numerous very good to great seasons with 23 one or zero loss seasons since 1916 (Bama's had 36, ND 33, OSU 32, OU 26, USC 25, Mich 24, Neb 19, etc.).The last 10 years have been awful but IMO, they are a top 6 or 7 program all time.

They were a big deal in the 1910s (3), 40s(3, Bama 7), 60s(1, Bama 2), 70s(9, Bama 1), first part of the 80s, first decade of the 2000s they were number 1 in winning % among P5 programs and 1 NC. They've had 20 top 5 AP finishes, Bama 27, 27 top 10s, Bama 45.

They have often been underachievers but they have also had some great teams and seasons and eras.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Texas is 4th all time in wins just 6 behind Alabama, well, 35 behind in on-field wins. Nevertheless, in both cases 4th and until a few years ago they were second to Michigan.

They have won 4 wire service NCs and have had numerous very good to great seasons with 23 one or zero loss seasons since 1916 (Bama's had 36, ND 33, OSU 32, OU 26, USC 25, Mich 24, Neb 19, etc.).The last 10 years have been awful but IMO, they are a top 6 or 7 program all time.

They were a big deal in the 1910s (3), 40s(3, Bama 7), 60s(1, Bama 2), 70s(9, Bama 1), first part of the 80s, first decade of the 2000s they were number 1 in winning % among P5 programs and 1 NC. They've had 20 top 5 AP finishes, Bama 27, 27 top 10s, Bama 45.

They have often been underachievers but they have also had some great teams and seasons and eras.
Okay but that’s like saying Michigan is a huge deal. Wins are great but at some point you need the hardware..,

Alabama
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Ohio St
USC

Are all big deals. Besides money and wins Texas is basically Nebraska and Michigan.

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021

When you do OUs data, please bypass the 90's.....thanks.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is it true that Texas left in the middle of the night just like this and screwed over the SWC.
The SWC began dying in 1960 when a very specific event occurred: the NFL put a franchise in Dallas and called them the Cowboys. From that moment on, the SWC was doomed. If you look closely, you'll notice Texas was problem THE college team of the decade in the 60s...and the moment the Cowboys got good, Texas got...not so good. The NFL has been the most common catalyst for everything that happens in CFB. Paid players in the NFL is how scholarships were invented for college players.

Here's how the dominoes fell:

1) In January 1990, Notre Dame left the CFA - which was all the non-Big 10 or Pac-10 schools who negotiated as a single entity with the networks - and got the NBC deal.

2) The Big Ten grabbed up Penn State.

3) Roy Kramer began the job in January 1990, and his predecessor (Harvey Schiller) had already been at work trying to increase TV sets. After Notre Dame and Penn State, Kramer got permission at the May 1990 SEC meetings to expand the conference - and we looked at FSU, Miami, S Carolina, Arky, Texas and ATM. The key point to it all was simply getting two teams after they'd read the fine print of the laws and learned they could have a conference title game if they had 12 teams. What's funny is to all of us on the outside, adding Arky and SCAR for the 1992 season, it looked like big letdown after the names we'd heard.

Texas and the Aggies wanted to come, but the state politicians got involved and stopped it. Then all this stuff happened.

4) The SWC did not believe Arkansas would leave. The moment they did, the SWC began calling Oklahoma and Okie State to leave the Big 8. At the same time, the SWC (July 12, 1990 fwiw) opted to consider a merger with the Big 8. Actually, it began as a TELEVISION CONTRACT ALLIANCE that eventually became a merger.

5) Nebraska, Missouri, and Syracuse all got on the phones and begged the Big 10 to make them the 12th team for a potential playoff, but Delany and the bunch decided adding teams wasn't going to happen.

6) The Pac 10 suggested expanding by adding Texas, the Aggies, BYU, and Colorado. They wound up doing nothing.

But then the bomb blew up....

7) In December 1993, Fox gained control of the NFC package from CBS, who was now left without any football at all. And they had a ton of money since they were free of that lousy baseball contract and weren't paying out the wazoo for the NFL anymore...and NASCAR wasn't big yet.

8) In February 1994, CBS inked the deal with the SEC of 5 years, $85 million. This sent the Big 8 and SWC into a seizure. It also caused them to decide a merger was their only chance of survival. The Big Eight was trying to negotiate a TV contract, and because Texas was flirting with "we'd like to go to the Pac 10" and the Aggies were actually calling the SEC (yes...in 1994), they kept watching networks throw money at other conferences. Basically, they got the framework of an, "Okay, if we have a 12-team conference with the old Big 8 and it included Texas from the SWC, what can we get?" Even then, Texas played that dumb hard to get game to the end.

The Big 12 basically was a marriage of convenience out of fear of a bunch of teams getting left out completely.

The SWC was going to die anyway:
a) once Arkansas left, who outside of Texas even cared?
b) even with TV, who outside Texas cared?
c) pro football was and is bigger, and the Cowboys were successful
d) once Arkansas left, the Cotton Bowl lost prestige unless it changed, too

Texas gets a ton of blame for the SWC implosion, but it was Roy Kramer reaching in and snagging Arkansas that built onto their "we're just a local conference" problem...and Kramer didn't start that fire, either, but once Notre Dame signed that contract, all bets were off.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think Arkansas was the beginning of the end. The SMU death penalty and some other probations in the 80s, as well as general mediocrity (the SWC Champion lost their last 8 bowl games) were factors. It was pretty much a Texas conference.
That was the move that guaranteed the implosion, yes.

Texas can fairly be blamed for a lot of the stuff ten years ago. The implosion of the SWC wasn't so much them, they just didn't help matters any by acting like a bipolar corporate shill ("do we stay, do we go, what the hay, I don't know")

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Okay but that’s like saying Michigan is a huge deal. Wins are great but at some point you need the hardware..,

Alabama
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Ohio St
USC

Are all big deals. Besides money and wins Texas is basically Nebraska and Michigan.
Don't disagree but Neb and Mich are good programs. UTx fans are not like UGA with 1 NC strutting around, they do have a little something but it does not match their attitude for sure. I was a little boy who became very college football conscious when Coach Bryant returned, so the 60s and 70s, during UTx's golden era, were especially meaningful to me. So, I'm likely biased when thinking of them and a couple of other programs.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The SWC began dying in 1960 when a very specific event occurred: the NFL put a franchise in Dallas and called them the Cowboys. From that moment on, the SWC was doomed. If you look closely, you'll notice Texas was problem THE college team of the decade in the 60s...and the moment the Cowboys got good, Texas got...not so good. The NFL has been the most common catalyst for everything that happens in CFB. Paid players in the NFL is how scholarships were invented for college players.

1) In January 1990, Notre Dame left the CFA - which was all the non-Big 10 or Pac-10 schools who negotiated as a single entity with the networks - and got the NBC deal.

3) Roy Kramer began the job in January 1990, and his predecessor (Harvey Schiller) had already been at work trying to increase TV sets. After Notre Dame and Penn State, Kramer got permission at the May 1990 SEC meetings to expand the conference - and we looked at FSU, Miami, S Carolina, Arky, Texas and ATM. The key point to it all was simply getting two teams after they'd read the fine print of the laws and learned they could have a conference title game if they had 12 teams. What's funny is to all of us on the outside, adding Arky and SCAR for the 1992 season, it looked like big letdown after the names we'd heard.

Texas and the Aggies wanted to come, but the state politicians got involved and stopped it. Then all this stuff happened.

4) The SWC did not believe Arkansas would leave. The moment they did, the SWC began calling Oklahoma and Okie State to leave the Big 8. At the same time, the SWC (July 12, 1990 fwiw) opted to consider a merger with the Big 8. Actually, it began as a TELEVISION CONTRACT ALLIANCE that eventually became a merger.

5) Nebraska, Missouri, and Syracuse all got on the phones and begged the Big 10 to make them the 12th team for a potential playoff, but Delany and the bunch decided adding teams wasn't going to happen.

6) The Pac 10 suggested expanding by adding Texas, the Aggies, BYU, and Colorado. They wound up doing nothing.

7) In December 1993, Fox gained control of the NFC package from CBS, who was now left without any football at all. And they had a ton of money since they were free of that lousy baseball contract and weren't paying out the wazoo for the NFL anymore...and NASCAR wasn't big yet.

8) In February 1994, CBS inked the deal with the SEC of 5 years, $85 million. This sent the Big 8 and SWC into a seizure. It also caused them to decide a merger was their only chance of survival. The Big Eight was trying to negotiate a TV contract, and because Texas was flirting with "we'd like to go to the Pac 10" and the Aggies were actually calling the SEC (yes...in 1994), they kept watching networks throw money at other conferences. Basically, they got the framework of an, "Okay, if we have a 12-team conference with the old Big 8 and it included Texas from the SWC, what can we get?" Even then, Texas played that dumb hard to get game to the end.

The Big 12 basically was a marriage of convenience out of fear of a bunch of teams getting left out completely.

Texas gets a ton of blame for the SWC implosion, but it was Roy Kramer reaching in and snagging Arkansas that built onto their "we're just a local conference" problem...and Kramer didn't start that fire, either, but once Notre Dame signed that contract, all bets were off.
I knew we could count on you to rebuild the past brick by brick...thanks!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I’d buy your book on the conference realignment saga beginning with the Supreme Court case giving the teams and conferences rights to negotiate their tv rights leading up to current day (which is still unfolding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.