SEC Announcer describes gymnastics as "scantily clad women."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
SEC Network denounces analyst's 'scantily clad girls' comment about gymnasts

I think I know what Barry Booker, an SEC Network basketball analyst, was saying. You might not want to take a girlfriend/wife on Valentine's Day to an event with lots of fit, athletic women in tight clothes (your lady might not think your focus is on her), but, man, what he said did not come out right.

SEC Commish is on it. I suspect Booker is in for what the Brits call "an office chat without coffee."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bazza

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Listened to it; came off BAD. And; he kept laughing about it after the other announcer tried to move on.
Suspension coming, at least.
Stupid

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is in his 50s, so old enough to know better. Have to know that your audience will include many people who would be creeped out by that, and respond via social media.

His partner threw him a lifeline and he pushed it away. Now come the consequences.

Reactions: Bamaatthebeach

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Always amazing to me what folks get upset over, what gets people fired, ... and what doesn't.

Not a smart thing to say, but should he lose his job? Maybe just don't let or encourage him to comment on gymnastics again. What athletes and entertainers and many broadcasters post on their tweeter, comment on in an awards ceremony about their award-winning movie/TV show, sing in their award-winning songs, perform on stage at the super bowl halftime, etc etc is MUCH worse than what this guy said.

At some point, we might get back to actions speak louder than words ... but not in this era of "sticks and stones may break my bones but oh, man, words are so much worse than anything else!"

Reactions: trenda and Bazza

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Always amazing to me what folks get upset over, what gets people fired, ... and what doesn't.

Not a smart thing to say, but should he lose his job? Maybe just don't let encourage him to comment on gymnastics again. What athletes and entertainers and many broadcasters post on their tweeter, comment on in an awards ceremony about their award-winning movie/TV show, sing in their award-winning songs, perform on stage at the super bowl halftime, etc etc is MUCH worse than what this guy said.

At some point, we might get back to actions speak louder than words ... but not in this era of "sticks and stones may break my bones but oh, man, words are so much worse than anything else!"
He is my age, and I go to many events where young women are scantily clad. You can't have the mothers and fathers of those girls thinking of you as a creepy old man if you want to have meaningful friendships.

It's like Brent Musberger's comment about AJ's gf (Katherine Webb). He didn't say anything that was particularly bad, but it sounded creepy. Katherine later said that it didn't bother her at all, but that didn't stop the BBQ.

Like Saban says, we can control our actions, but we cannot control the consequences of those actions. Hopefully Booker gets a chance to move past this without losing his job.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't think he should lose his job, but one of the pitfalls on being on live TV is you have to be circumspect in what you say.
When I injure myself or see something that ticks me off, I sometimes express my frustration in such a way that if I did it on air, I would probably get fired. (I express; I don't repress) Hence I do not work on live radio or TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92tide

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
If you listen to the 40 second clip of exactly what he said and how he said it (referring to the hotel reference), I think it's easy to see why he's in hot water. I admit to being biased because I'm a big supporter of our gymnastics program, and no one's mentioned how disrespectful this is to all gymnasts. They are athletes, not "scantily clad girls". Sorry, but this really rubbed me the wrong way because I know how hard gymnasts work to get to this level.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.