News Article: SEC coaches ranked

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The quality of the coaching in the SEC has plummeted since Coach Saban has arrived.
Spurrier (8), Meyer (3), Richt (5), Fulmer(5), Brooks, Pinkl(2), Nutt(2), Petrino, even Miles(3), all gone. 4 won NCs, 7 made multiple SECC game appearances for a total of 28; of the other 2, Brooks did a fabulous job toughening up UK and Petrino, IMO, was the best offensive coach in the SEC during his tenure.

Leach, Drinkwitz, Fisher, Stoops, Smart, Pittman, Kiffin, the shrimp boat deckhand are likely decent or good but not close to the list above.

Don't know much about Lea or Harsin or Beamer or Heupel, but not surprised if they all fail.

IMO, Kiffin is good but overrated and when has he had a good D anywhere?

I was more impressed with Leach last year than I expected - his team was tough and played tough most of the time. E.g., tied at UGA in 4th qtr, lost by 1 score with 49 players. Only had 2 bad losses: UK and Bama. Last 2 games of the season blew out decent Missouri and beat a ranked Tulsa in a bowl. Of course beat LSU early. He got rid of those who didn't fit or want to be there, lost others due to Covid, played very short-handed and never said a word. I was impressed.

Fisher has been better than I expected, but still don't trust him.

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
I think Kiffin has got our attention last year. I feel like our guys will be more focused for the Ole Miss game than we think.
You guys also drew Ole Miss in just your 3rd game, which wasn't ideal. Bama's defense got a lot better as the season went on and I think you'll have the best defense in the country next season with how much talent is returning on that side of the ball.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Harsin at 6 is crazy, especially with the locker room trouble rumors floating around. I think it is going to be a rough year for the Barn.
Think this year is going to be a lot like 1999, Tuberville's first year. Cupboard pretty bare, a lot of turnover on the roster and all that.

He will get a pass this year no matter how it goes down.

Harsin might be good in the P5, but it's a bit early to assert he will be though. He wasn't bad at Boise.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And the defense should be improved this year. He won't find it so easy to march up and down the field in 2021...
Sometimes it isn't about how good the defense is. The 2019 Alabama and LSU offenses, and the 2020 Alabama offense demonstrated that very well. But I think that Kiffin showed all of his cards last year, so you are probably correct.

Reactions: Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sometimes it isn't about how good the defense is. The 2019 Alabama and LSU offenses, and the 2020 Alabama offense demonstrated that very well. But I think that Kiffin showed all of his cards last year, so you are probably correct.
Kiffin has gotten the closest. Both times he has caused Alabama fans to have a nervous breakdown.

Personally I think we have an easier time with them this year, but I think what Ole Miss got was a better Gus. So he is going to be a pain in the rear for the foreseeable future.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kiffin has gotten the closest. Both times he has caused Alabama fans to have a nervous breakdown.

Personally I think we have an easier time with them this year, but I think what Ole Miss got was a better Gus. So he is going to be a pain in the rear for the foreseeable future.
I also think that the weather had something to do with the poor defensive play in that game last year. Alabama was sliding off of Ole Miss players like they were greased pigs. Yes, there were some busted coverages, but missed tackles was the main failure by the Alabama defense in that game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I also think that the weather had something to do with the poor defensive play in that game last year. Alabama was sliding off of Ole Miss players like they were greased pigs. Yes, there were some busted coverages, but missed tackles was the main failure by the Alabama defense in that game.
Well you could say that, but you have to give Kiffin a lot of credit too for going after our linebackers. But I really think the game became a shoot out because SEC refs are horrible. The Najee fumble that should’ve never happened with competent refs really made it the game it was. Other wise it’s a 50-30 type ballgame where your eeyores have less company going into Georgia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Nailed it, B1G! There were several on here that were blaming Golding and not taking that into account... :cool:

Kiffin is the biggest threat to take down the master and I will be relieved after we play and win that game this season.

Reactions: B1GTide

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree that Orgeron is rated too high at #4. I would have Fisher at #2, Mullen #3 and Smart #4. My prediction, since the mess at LSU surfaced earlier this year, is unless Orgeron beats Alabama and wins the SEC West he is gone. I also predicted his replacement to be Lane Kiffin.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Orgeron is still riding 2019, which had little to do with his coaching. Good recruiter, but way overrated as a HC.

Kiffin is still saddled with the D he inherited. He may be a terrible human being. I hope every female within a night’s drive of Oxford, and between the ages of 15 and 60, packs her iron underwear. For all that, he’s a great offensive mind, and incredibly dangerous for one game.

His lack of focus on D will cost him any championship that has to be won over the course of a whole season. But he wants to beat us more than I want to see tomorrow’s sunrise. For one game, he is formidable.

Look at his schedule leading up to us…..cupcakes followed by a bye, going into BDS. Think he will have been preparing for our game for 9 months? If you don’t, I have this really cool bridge in New York that I need to unload, cheap. Only for tax purposes, of course.

We’re going to see stuff Gus Malzahn couldn’t dream up, implemented by somebody who actually knows what he’s doing.

We’ll be most vulnerable early in the season, before our youngsters have a chance to mature. If we lose due to that immaturity, I think it’ll be against Ole Miss.

We also face aTm and UF early. But Jimbo and Cousin Eddie face their own issues with offensive inexperience, and I think we’ll be OK in College Station and Gainesville. In the words of Abraham Lincoln, we’re all green alike.

Kiffin, even though it’s in BDS, worries me.
I mean you can say that but it’s not like he was throwing out fake punts and stuff. Alabama didn’t have a spring practice combined with with covid combined with a terrible day on defense combined with with wet field conditions combined with drawing the game in week 3 combined with lane Kiffin being a great offensive play caller. I don’t think life is one factor it’s usually a combination of factors leading to a result. Also if he was so obsessed with beating saban why did he go for a field goal twice when he knew he couldn’t stop bama’s offense at all. Do i think ole miss put way too much mental energy in beating Alabama????.......absolutely. But this idea that kiffin is just obsessed with Saban is kind of far fetched.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Think this year is going to be a lot like 1999, Tuberville's first year. Cupboard pretty bare, a lot of turnover on the roster and all that.

He will get a pass this year no matter how it goes down.

Harsin might be good in the P5, but it's a bit early to assert he will be though. He wasn't bad at Boise.
Bad news for auburn. In Harsins second year, Alabama won’t be as bad as they were in tubervilles second year. Lol

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Any coaching list that has Ed Orgeron at #4 should not be taken seriously.
The Ogre is an uncouth meat head. A true mumble mouth that cant string two coherent senteances together. He's a perfect fit for the despicable portion of the fan base and the controversy around that institution. Their decent fans must have to hold their nose and maybe a faction are willing to take a bad year so they can wash that stench off. There's an unfaltering picture of him in bed with some young coed. Can you imagine a head coach allowing that to be taken? Not someone I'd want my kid being coached by. What a disgusting individual.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree that Orgeron is rated too high at #4. I would have Fisher at #2, Mullen #3 and Smart #4. My prediction, since the mess at LSU surfaced earlier this year, is unless Orgeron beats Alabama and wins the SEC West he is gone. I also predicted his replacement to be Lane Kiffin.
That might be a problem. Kiffin could probably recruit a better defense by default there while still giving priority to offense.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Bad news for auburn. In Harsins second year, Alabama won’t be as bad as they were in tubervilles second year. Lol
That 2000 season was such a weird year for both of us.

Bama coming in ranked 3rd and somehow melting after a bad opener against UCLA, us bouncing back out of nowhere with a JUCO running back named Rudi Johnson getting us back to our roots after Tater Tot recruited 5'4 running backs in an attempt to find the next Warrick Dunn.

People forget that 1999 Auburn had a chance to be OK too. We'd have probably bowled had Leard not separated his shoulder against Ole Miss and then got a concussion against Arky in his first game back. Poor Jeff Klein was not a D1 QB. His only win as a starter was against newly minted D1A UCF. We would have at least beaten Ole Miss and Mississippi State with Leard healthy and finished 7-4.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
1) Nick Saban
2) Nick Saban's golf bag
3) Nick Saban's sidewalk
4) The spare tire in Nick Saban's trunk
5) Nick Saban's dirty laundry
6) Nick Saban's shadow
7) Nick Saban's refrigerator
8) Nick Saban asleep
9) Nick Saban's old shoes
10) Nick Saban's photo album
11) Nick Saban's sports coat
12) The rocks in Nick Saban's home landscaping
13) The dirt in Nick Saban's yard
14) Everyone else

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.