SEC is a monopoly and just doesn't know it

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
ADMIN NOTE: THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN 2008

Let's look at this from another perspective.

Every SEC school is profitable from football, so that means that each team is the dominate player in their specific market.

How does the SEC leverage that market share to the next level?

The next step is monopoly.

Rivalries - Especially rivalries within the conference. This will allow the SEC to keep the money within the conference. To accomplish that the SEC needs to move to complete conference schedule. Eliminating the out of conference game will be painful in the beginning, but will pay huge dividends within five years.

And then something else happens. The totally conference schedule creates a playoff system for the SEC Championship by accident.

Expansion - There will be few teams that can resist the financial windfall of the SEC. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Louisville, West Virginia, Oklahoma State would be my first targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ole Man Dan

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

Every SEC school is profitable from football, so that means that each team is the dominate player in their specific market.

Rivalries - Especially rivalries within the conference. This will allow the SEC to keep the money within the conference. To accomplish that the SEC needs to move to complete conference schedule. Eliminating the out of conference game will be painful in the beginning, but will pay huge dividends within five years.

And then something else happens. The totally conference schedule creates a playoff system for the SEC Championship by accident.

Expansion - There will be few teams that can resist the financial windfall of the SEC. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Louisville, West Virginia, Oklahoma State would be my first targets.
Since there are 12 SEC teams you could play every team and then one out of conference game a year now that we play twelve games per year.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE
The SEC team that could get through a schedule featuring 11 SEC contests and 1 OOC game -- followed by the SECCG -- would be super-human.

I think the NCAA and the media would freak out because IF (and its a big if) an SEC team proved capable of running this brutal gauntlet year-in and year-out without more than 1 loss, the national championship would perinially reside within our conference.

Of course, it would probably work because soon all talented players would flock to the SEC because it would represent the closest thing to the NFL on earth...and if you could do well there, it would be an almost guarenteed ticket to the pros.

Given the NCAA's desire to create parity...I don't know how they would react to creation of a super-conference that played at a higher overall level than 90% of college Div 1A, but it would definately be fun to watch. RTR.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I'm not sure what this thread is about. It looks like something that might have come to Noah in a dream.

The SEC is a powerful conference for sure, but to look beyond the 12 schools for expansion is ludicrous. The scheduling conflicts alone would make it an impossible equation.

red55

All-American
Nov 5, 2002
Baton Rouge
The SEC is already so strong that we hurt each others chances for national championships by beating up on each other. The last thing we need is another contender in the conference. It is vital to have winning records in the upper tier of the SEC. It takes some OOC competition to do this year after year. It also takes SEC basketball schools like Vanderbilt and Kentucky to merrily lose season after season in football, giving Tennessee and Florida a huge break in the east.

The SEC is just fine and as strong as it needs to be. If it got any stronger it would have to become two conferences.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
As it is SEC teams very rarely sign players outside of the South anyway, so the impact of a total conference schedule to recruiting is minimal. The most talented recruits always follow the best coaches. Playing in the championship game is simply a crap shot that can't be predicted. Half of the SEC has a decent shoot at making the title game anyway, so your guess is as good as mine.

However, let's be perfectly honest here. The only way for the SEC to keep score is money because it's the one factor they can control. If a national championship happens, then that's just a bonus point.

And for my second point. A totally conference schedule is supposed to alienate non-SEC teams, that's the intent of a monopoly. If more intense rivalries are developed within the SEC, then TV networks will throw millions of dollars just to simply schedule 6 SEC games every Saturday. Viewers will follow because it's the only playoff system in college football.

The SEC needs to beat the NCAA to the punch. Create a true playoff system and control all of the revenue. With 12 of the 19 profitable college football teams in the nation, the last thing the SEC needs is letting the NCAA divide up shares in the BCS.

Last edited:

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
I could never accept Nebraska as a SEC team; however, I wouldn't mind seeing the traditional powers throughout D1 band together and secede from the BCS, making it officially a BSC. I would think that television would follow suit in order to show the better games. Unfortunately, I never see that happening. As it stands now; the SEC is pretty much the only qualified candidate for SUPER Conference status. All of the others have (at minimum) twice as many non-players within their respective conferences; and they get to play twice as many (at minimum) cupcake games a year. While an SEC schedule makes better football teams out of the member schools; it also frequently is the cause of a wuss smoke and mirrors team like OSU winning a national title by default after the SEC teams beat each other to death.

Reactions: smith5753

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I could never accept Nebraska as a SEC team; however, I wouldn't mind seeing the traditional powers throughout D1 band together and secede from the BCS, making it officially a BSC. I would think that television would follow suit in order to show the better games. Unfortunately, I never see that happening. As it stands now; the SEC is pretty much the only qualified candidate for SUPER Conference status. All of the others have (at minimum) twice as many non-players within their respective conferences; and they get to play twice as many (at minimum) cupcake games a year. While an SEC schedule makes better football teams out of the member schools; it also frequently is the cause of a wuss smoke and mirrors team like OSU winning a national title by default after the SEC teams beat each other to death.
It has already been tried with the CFA which included most all of the big boys outside of the Big 11 and PAC 10. It did not work as I recall.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA

Twelve years later, a pandemic suddenly changes everyone’s mind....

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Why Nebraska...? :unsure:

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Why Nebraska...? :unsure:
1. Nebraska leads the nation in sellouts in Lincoln. The streak started in 1962.
2. Nebraska vs Oklahoma was a great rivalry game until 2010. This rivalry existed for 86 years, while Oklahoma leads, 45–38–3
3. Nebraska is the 8th winningest football team of all time with 902 wins.
4. Nebraska generates $136m in revenue annually.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Thank God you don't get to vote.
Forgive Gray, he had a Jr. Senior moment that was meant to be golden Sr. Senior moment recommending the SEC bring back Sewanee and Pensacola Flight School.

Speaking of forgiveness, was the thread originator suspended for anarchy, or did s/he opt out?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.