BREAKING SEC moves to 10-game conference only schedule

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Schedules should be equitable. No team should play more than two of the "Power 6" SEC teams from the opposite division. The "Power 6" are Bama, LSU, AU, Florida, UGA & UT. These 6 teams have won every SEC title for the last 55 years.

Seriously - why not?

I mean, gee, it's not like we have to play Alabama......

• Roll Tide!
  • Haha
Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, let's assume that we actually play this year. The CFP committee has said that they are going to adjust their schedule to choose playoff teams. They are also not going to penalize teams for playing fewer games since the conferences are choosing different schedules. So, the late start date and SECCG date will not harm the SEC's chances of placing a team in the playoffs. But with no cross-conference play, I doubt that any conference will get 2 teams in this year.

So, win the SEC and you are almost certainly in the CFP. Same as always, the path to the CFP goes through Tuscaloosa.

Roll Tide!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't see it working even if everyone begins yesterday to do what they should have been doing all along. Maybe there is a small chance if everyone does their part. It's worth a try, right?
I completely agree with NT17. I believe, and this is strictly my opinion, that all sports may start but few if any will finish. Short of a proven vaccine, I do not think attending games will help in fighting COVID-19.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I just don’t understand how these conference only schedules really help anything. Yes, staying in conference means they can control the COVID-19 plans but, MLB is proving how useless those plans are in practice. There are more people involved in a college football game and they will still be traveling over a good bit of the country with how spread out the conference is these days. Baseball couldn’t get through a single weekend, this will be a disaster for college football. Unless you come up with a bubble plan like the NBA or NHL, you’re not going to stop the spread of this virus. Not with a high contact sport like football that has 80+ people on each sideline.

I think trying to force sports to happen right now is irresponsible (at all levels, especially youth) but, that’s America in a nutshell right now. Folks care more about their entertainment than public health.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don’t understand how these conference only schedules really help anything. Yes, staying in conference means they can control the COVID-19 plans but, MLB is proving how useless those plans are in practice. There are more people involved in a college football game and they will still be traveling over a good bit of the country with how spread out the conference is these days. Baseball couldn’t get through a single weekend, this will be a disaster for college football. Unless you come up with a bubble plan like the NBA or NHL, you’re not going to stop the spread of this virus. Not with a high contact sport like football that has 80+ people on each sideline.

I think trying to force sports to happen right now is irresponsible (at all levels, especially youth) but, that’s America in a nutshell right now. Folks care more about their entertainment than public health.
It means that the SEC gets to set all the rules to protect their players. They don't have to worry about other conferences setting rules with which they do not agree. The SEC is a brand, and they are trying to protect that brand.

I agree that it will be pretty much impossible to keep these players Covid-free once they start attending classes. That is a greater risk of exposure than football, IMO.

Reactions: FaninLA

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
It means that the SEC gets to set all the rules to protect their players. They don't have to worry about other conferences setting rules with which they do not agree. The SEC is a brand, and they are trying to protect that brand.

I agree that it will be pretty much impossible to keep these players Covid-free once they start attending classes. That is a greater risk of exposure than football, IMO.
All it takes is a group of players or personal sneaking off to a party and you could some major problems. Even the NBA couldn’t stop that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

And MLB even had a 30 man taxi squad in place should a team have COVID scare, but they found out quick that 30 men wasn’t enough.

I just see this as another last ditch effort to save the season where they can have fans. I think it would be better to cancel this season over going 3 weeks in and having to shut it down.

If they would just go ahead and say no fans and/or a bubble location then I would have more faith in this working. But MLB having spikes right out the gate makes me feel that college football is way behind all the other leagues in realistic ideas for a season.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If they would just go ahead and say no fans and/or a bubble location then I would have more faith in this working. But MLB having spikes right out the gate makes me feel that college football is way behind all the other leagues in realistic ideas for a season.
My guess is that SOMEBODY on the marlins team or staff visited one of the infamous gentlemen's clubs in the ATL (or in Miami before they came to ATL) and got it there and brought it back to the team. If guys stick with the program established by MLB, there will be single cases here and there that can be dealt with. Same with NBA. Keep guys out of strip clubs and it will probably work. So much harder to police a college team that's going to class, hanging out, partying, etc.

However, if the coaches can do what AZ St did with the kid (who apparantly flaunted their covid control program and did whatever he wanted) and pull scholarships for violating protocols, then maybe there's a chance. If you're 20 and can't control yourself for 5 months in this environment you really don't deserve a chance to play (or be on a team or have your college paid for). And I don't want to hear "these are kids" ... nope, they're D1 players who are treated like gods on most campuses relative to the rest of the students. Beyond their families, they have a responsibility to themselves, their teammates, and their coaches/staff to reign it in.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My guess is that SOMEBODY on the marlins team or staff visited one of the infamous gentlemen's clubs in the ATL (or in Miami before they came to ATL) and got it there and brought it back to the team. If guys stick with the program established by MLB, there will be single cases here and there that can be dealt with. Same with NBA. Keep guys out of strip clubs and it will probably work. So much harder to police a college team that's going to class, hanging out, partying, etc.

However, if the coaches can do what AZ St did with the kid (who apparantly flaunted their covid control program and did whatever he wanted) and pull scholarships for violating protocols, then maybe there's a chance. If you're 20 and can't control yourself for 5 months in this environment you really don't deserve a chance to play (or be on a team or have your college paid for). And I don't want to hear "these are kids" ... nope, they're D1 players who are treated like gods on most campuses relative to the rest of the students. Beyond their families, they have a responsibility to themselves, their teammates, and their coaches/staff to reign it in.
i heard yesterday that one of the nba guys got quarantined because he went to magic city on a visit to atlanta. he apparently got a waiver to attend a funeral, and i guess he wanted to make it rain at the wake.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
i heard yesterday that one of the nba guys got quarantined because he went to magic city on a visit to atlanta. he apparently got a waiver to attend a funeral, and i guess he wanted to make it rain at the wake.

No, he wanted wings :D Even Johnny Football says they have the best wings.

but those are expensive wings. Hope they were worth it:

" Williams will miss the first two games of the Clippers' season in the bubble -- that includes $150,000 in salary -- as he quarantines for 10 days. Williams will be available to play starting on Aug. 3. "

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

" Williams will miss the first two games of the Clippers' season in the bubble -- that includes $150,000 in salary -- as he quarantines for 10 days. Williams will be available to play starting on Aug. 3. "
wings are the go to sustenance for a post home-going celebration

funny enough, i have actually heard the wings there are supposed to be awesome. i was told, but never verified it, that they have a walk up window to order the wings. not sure if it is equipped with a peep hole or not :D

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I, for one, hope the schedule stays at 10 CG's from this day forward. Get rid of the East-West division and establish a rotation. Have the one season opener with a P-5 opponent and the one "Cupcake" program booster (if they survive this pandemic) in week 6, 7 or 8 when the schedule goes back to 12 games. The weaker teams and "chronic little brother syndrome complain no matter what for attention teams" won't like it but it'll either make 'em better or push 'em out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've been waiting on your comment on that; I was howling....

Reactions: 92tide

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
All it takes is a group of players or personal sneaking off to a party and you could some major problems. Even the NBA couldn’t stop that.
I read that the outbreak on the Rutgers football team - 15 infections - was traced back to a couple of players attending one party.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama

Well, they do come with a side of thighs :D

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I wish I could be optimistic but I just can't see a season being played this year...... or at least not for long before it gets cancelled.

MLB has been back for about 1 week and as of this morning the Blue Jays, Marlins, Nationals, Phillies, Cards, and Brewers all have postponed games tonight due to Covid-19

That's 20% of the league down after ONE week.

NCAA Football has WAY more person to person contact than Baseball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.