SEC Officiating Still SEC Officiating

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I thought that in 2013, after they had a couple of games handed to them by the most absurd plays. They still had one more in the bank for Alabama. They always seem to have one more in the bank for Alabama.
Exactly. When Tua went down for the year, that pretty much sealed the deal for an auburn win in the IB. When I was having my selfish moment yesterday ater getting confirmation that Jaylen was out for the season, I thought "did auburn just win a second straight IB?" Granted, last year was last year, and we aren't under the same set of circumstances as we were then, but this is the type of thing that swung pendulum towards them last year. I still think we win. The game isn't at jinxy hare (thank goodness) and even without Waddle, we are far and away the better team. And, auburn has never won 2 straight against Saban, at Bama or LSU. But... everyone...from Saban all the way down to the walk-ons, best know that we will be facing auburn and the officials. And even with the game being in Tuscaloosa, auburn will benefit from at least one bad call.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It’s acceptable for humans to miss calls. It’s not acceptable for the refs to make the right call on the field, then have the play reviewed, then get overturned when it is ABSOLUTELY clear they got the call right on the field. I will go to my grave knowing that was targeting by Fourteenessee.

Also, I can’t believe the Barn seriously has 3 wins that are directly because of the officials. These guys need to be held accountable. If I performed this poorly at my job, I’d be kicked to the curb. I have no sympathy for them, not when you have all this technology and you STILL get the call wrong.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'll second this, and add, that the barn may have also lost the Kentucky game if Kentucky correctly gets the TD before the half. Why is it that BAMA is usually the victim of bad calls, while the barn is usually the benefactor of bad calls.
$$$$$

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I have been watching AU games for decades. Maybe I’ve learned the game and the rules more in the last decade, but they have certainly been given a lot more beneficial calls since the Cam season. Not even close. Trouble is, I can’t really give you a true tally of calls that were game changing, as they and the games they are involved in, have penalties that go against both teams. If someone were to compile a list of games that Auburn won, or narrowly lost, due directly to call/no call, that kept the game as a victory for them, or gave them a chance to win, and the ONE or two calls/no calls in the game that led to the result, it would be a fascinating read. On top of that analysis, we would be able to look at the crews working that game, and where the game was held, and figure out exactly who has naked pictures of Steve Shaw.

I pray it isn’t the “yella fella”. 🤮

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Exactly. When Tua went down for the year, that pretty much sealed the deal for an auburn win in the IB. When I was having my selfish moment yesterday ater getting confirmation that Jaylen was out for the season, I thought "did auburn just win a second straight IB?" Granted, last year was last year, and we aren't under the same set of circumstances as we were then, but this is the type of thing that swung pendulum towards them last year. I still think we win. The game isn't at jinxy hare (thank goodness) and even without Waddle, we are far and away the better team. And, auburn has never won 2 straight against Saban, at Bama or LSU. But... everyone...from Saban all the way down to the walk-ons, best know that we will be facing auburn and the officials. And even with the game being in Tuscaloosa, auburn will benefit from at least one bad call.
Auburn's 1-4...

Reactions: B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I might argue that it's great for us too...More Malzhan!!!
I do not know.
What is Coach Saban's record against Malzahn? Gus has probably had more success (albeit, by the skin of the Barn's teeth) against Alabama than any other opposing coach.
Add to it that Alabama players will save up boneheaded plus all year long (say, an offensive lineman who will commit 9 false starts all year, but 6 will be against the Barn) and expend them all against the Barn (something over which Gus has no control), and you have a problem.
I want the Barn to lose every game they ever play for the rest of eternity, because a 3-6 Barn team (especially if they have had lots of embarrassing blowout losses) will have quit by the time the Iron Bowl comes around.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is, I would think, by far his worst record against an opposing coach.
While at Bama, outside of single games (2007 FSU (Bowden), 2007 Louisiana-Monroe (Weatherbie), maybe more?) there's:
Tuberville 1-1 vs Saban at Bama, 4-4 vs Saban including his time at LSU
Spurrier: 1-1 vs Saban at Bama, 3-1 vs Saban including his time at LSU
Meyer: 1-2 vs Saban at Bama, 2-2 vs Saban including Meyer's time at OSU
Dabo: 2-2 vs Saban at Bama

But yeah, I can't think of anyone who has faced Saban annually for more than a few years who has had better success.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
While at Bama, outside of single games (2007 FSU (Bowden), 2007 Louisiana-Monroe (Weatherbie), maybe more?) there's:

But yeah, I can't think of anyone who has faced Saban annually for more than a few years who has had better success.
Miles and Gus has beat him the most at Alabama among active coaches. I think Tiller has the best winning percentage against him overall 3-0

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Plus we all know who was really coaching the Barn in 2010...

Saban’s record against Auburn is honestly his only real blemish in his time here.
I wouldn’t call an 8-5 record against your rival a blemish. Remember this is also during one of the better, if not the best, eras of Auburn football. It’s just overshadowed by the historical run Bama is on.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I wouldn’t call an 8-5 record against your rival a blemish. Remember this is also during one of the better, if not the best, eras of Auburn football. It’s just overshadowed by the historical run Bama is on.
He has dominated every other team in the conference, but still hasn’t beaten a truly good Auburn team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He has dominated every other team in the conference, but still hasn’t beaten a truly good Auburn team.
True, but remember that Auburn lives for this game, and they seem to catch every break imaginable in the series.

This is less about Saban than about Auburn. If Saban focused on Auburn the way that Gus focuses on Alabama you would likely be undefeated in the series, but with far fewer national title trophies in the case.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

That is one of the weird things about Coach Saban's tenure.
Lots of championships, but for some strange reason, the coach and team against which he has been least successful has been that team.
(I did not realize Tub's record against Coach Saban while at LSU had been 3-3.

And I do not think those Auburn teams were better than Alabama (one or two might have been), just Alabama tends to have a poor outing against them and they tend to play over their heads against Alabama. Why is sort of a mystery.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
True, but remember that Auburn lives for this game, and they seem to catch every break imaginable in the series.

This is less about Saban than about Auburn. If Saban focused on Auburn the way that Gus focuses on Alabama you would likely be undefeated in the series, but with far fewer national title trophies in the case.
That's why I used the word "blemish". To me, that means something very minor. Saban's overall record speaks for itself and we have nothing to complain about.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is one of the weird things about Coach Saban's tenure.
Lots of championships, but for some strange reason, the coach and team against which he has been least successful has been that team.
(I did not realize Tub's record against Coach Saban while at LSU had been 3-3.

And I do not think those Auburn teams were better than Alabama (one or two might have been), just Alabama tends to have a poor outing against them and they tend to play over their heads against Alabama. Why is sort of a mystery.
There's a reason why Tuberville and Malzahn were tolerated so long at Aubrun - because they consistently beat Bama. Tuberville resigned and there have been rumblings about firing Malzahn for years - but as long as he continues being a thorn in Bama's side, TPTB will keep the GusBus rolling.

If Bama rolls up and beats Aubrun by 30 this year, Malzahn is probably gone. If Aubrun wins, I guarantee he stays, even if he loses every game between now and then.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There's a reason why Tuberville and Malzahn were tolerated so long at Aubrun - because they consistently beat Bama. Tuberville resigned and there have been rumblings about firing Malzahn for years - but as long as he continues being a thorn in Bama's side, TPTB will keep the GusBus rolling.

If Bama rolls up and beats Aubrun by 30 this year, Malzahn is probably gone. If Aubrun wins, I guarantee he stays, even if he loses every game between now and then.
From what I am hearing, if Malzahn loses to Oeaux this weekend then the clock might hit midnight before the IB. There is a lot of inner turmoil, and a lot of it has to deal with a guy whose name sounds kinda like Low Picks

Reactions: The Ols

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.