SEC unanimously votes to extend membership invitations to Texas, Oklahoma

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I didn't write this, but it summarizes my thoughts when I first heard there was a chance this would happen.

A few select quotes:

Oklahoma is firmly in college football’s uppercrust. Six straight Big 12 titles. Four college football playoff appearances. Fifteen top 10 finishes since 2000. Seven Heismans, including four this century.

Texas? Not so much.

(Side note: I'd be impressed by 7 Heismans if it actually went to the best player every year - but it rarely does). Put those OU quarterbacks on Texas Tech, and they're not within 500 miles of winning the Heisman.

But the on-field performance does not match the reverence with which the "brand" of Texas is breathlessly discussed.

Bingo

Texas was unranked in the final AP poll five straight seasons from 2013 to 2017. Does that sound like royalty?

Even Vandy ended 2013 ranked. Texas is, well, Vandy with a ton more money and lower admission standards.

The Longhorns have one national championship in the past 50 years. That matches the totals of BYU, Washington, Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh

I mean, this DOES sound like an Alabama fan looking at the bottom line wrote it, but if you're gonna brag like the UTerus, you should be able to produce more, too (SWIDT??)

What it is also getting, outside of that Mack Brown stretch, is a football team that usually isn’t all that great

Epic burial!!!

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
I think this move is great overall for the SEC and may move to the disintegration of NCAA which has been long overdue. For Alabama the conference competition has just gotten tougher in one sense (big names in OU &. UT the biggest we have ever landed in a modern day expansion). But stronger competition makes strong teams stronger and weak teams better. I think I can appreciate the position of fan bases like Auburn, Miss St, UT. Their quest for position and relevance has taken a big step backwards and the mountain they are climbing has become much steeper but for at least 10 years that has been their lot they will just have to buckle down to keep up the pace.
Final thoughts after watching a full conference schedule last year (more like the one I grew up with) I am thoroughly excited at the prospect of a nine game conference schedule.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's the thing: I think Oklahoma's history shows they WILL ADAPT to the SEC. They will do so by any means necessary to remain in the blue blood club. We will, in fact, find out whether Lincoln Riley is actually a decent football coach or the Cosmo Kramer of the children's karate class.

If Riley doesn't adapt, he will be gone.

Texas will continue to talk about how much money they have, as if you ever see that statistic on a scoreboard at any stadium anywhere any time.

But as reminder...despite winning the Big 12 six straight times, the Sooners haven't even managed to go through a demonstrably inferior conference undefeated in the regular season in ANY of those six seasons.

And okay, I guess comparing them with Alabama doing this very thing in 2016, 2018, and 2020 is a bit unfair. Can't really compare them to the cream of the crop.

But LSU managed to do it, too. (Note: I'm only referring to "the last six years" they're talking about). And even though Georgia did lose to Auburn in 2017, they still beat Oklahoma.

My point? Those days of reeling off a bunch of conference titles in a row are over - even for the Sooners. But I DO expect them to adapt better than Texas will because they know they must.

Reactions: FaninLA

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Not sure what Bowlsby is thinking but he's ruining the small chance his conference survives. I'm sure it's a tough pill to swallow for the likes of Baylor, TTU, etc but they need to be repositioning themselves instead of screaming at the ship that's sailed over the horizon..

Those schools will undoubtedly receive less money in the future and that will call for some tough decisions. There's a place in the football landscape for them but it's not at the big boys table. The more I think about this the more it might make sense to have two tiers of football. How that's sorted out is unknown but it's heading for a massive separation of the haves and have nots.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If Big12 Bob thinks OU and Texas are going to stick around for the next 4 years, he’s an idiot. Unless his quote is a sign that he is going to try and throw a wrench into the buyout negotiations.
Has anything that's transpired thus far make you feel otherwise?

Maybe not an idiot, but oblivious. Aaron Murray was more aware of Quentin Dial than Bowlsby was aware of the disintegration of the B12... :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought Bowlsby was out of his mind when he took the job. Hell, I live here back when they had these things called newspapers, and every single day the narrative ten years ago was "conference continuance is shaky at best."

A few examples:

Tuberville:
"You hear things go back and forth but we're not privy to a lot of that information. The presidents are taking care of that, but it sounds pretty shaky right now."

The Big 12 may be on the verge of crumbling, with Texas A&M and Oklahoma voicing their willingness to explore moves to other conferences, but Tuberville and Gillispie both hope the Big 12 will find a way to stay together

Now, the league is in a state of disarray again.

Here's one where the title is nothing short of hilarious from 2013:

The most likely realignment scenario involves the Big Ten moving to 16 sources tell Sporting News it's not if, but when and the Big 12 setting its sights adding teams, perhaps Florida State and Clemson.
(Roughly translated, Bowlsby was going to expand and now is whining because he got expanded upon).

The AAC and the Big 12 are the shakiest of the power conferences.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let us not forget that matches Georgia’s total as well.
Yes, but I'd argue Georgia has actually been MORE successful than Texas, too.

Texas lost a national title on the last day in 1977, 1983, and 2009.
They won one in 2005.

Georgia lost a national title on the last day in 1982 and 2017 (and one could argue 1981 as well).
They won one in 1980.

Then remember:
a) UGA has played in a MUCH tougher conference over the last 40 years (at least)
b) UGA has maybe 1/10 the resources Texas has...

I'd rate the team with fewer resources and more challenges that did about the same substantially superior to the team with more resources and fewer challenges.

Texas is Georgia with uglier uniforms and bigger mouths, which seems impossible.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

They won one in 2005.

Georgia lost a national title on the last day in 1982 and 2017 (and one could argue 1981 as well).
They won one in 1980.

Then remember:
a) UGA has played in a MUCH tougher conference over the last 40 years (at least)

I'd rate the team with fewer resources and more challenges that did about the same substantially superior to the team with more resources and fewer challenges.

Texas is Georgia with uglier uniforms and bigger mouths, which seems impossible.
I agree with all but the statement about Texas having more resources...Georgia is the "only dog" in a state that produces tons of high caliber players every year. Yes, they are poached off by others...but UGA ought to be picking who they want in their home state. They have no financial limitations...none.

You are correct that they have played in a tougher conference...and imho that has made them stronger, not weaker.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

They won one in 2005.

They won one in 1980.

Then remember:

I just think we need to emphasize the point that Georgia has only one NC in the past 50 years.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I thought Bowlsby was out of his mind when he took the job. Hell, I live here back when they had these things called newspapers, and every single day the narrative ten years ago was "conference continuance is shaky at best."

A few examples:

Tuberville:
"You hear things go back and forth but we're not privy to a lot of that information. The presidents are taking care of that, but it sounds pretty shaky right now."

The Big 12 may be on the verge of crumbling, with Texas A&M and Oklahoma voicing their willingness to explore moves to other conferences, but Tuberville and Gillispie both hope the Big 12 will find a way to stay together

Now, the league is in a state of disarray again.

Here's one where the title is nothing short of hilarious from 2013:

The most likely realignment scenario involves the Big Ten moving to 16 sources tell Sporting News it's not if, but when and the Big 12 setting its sights adding teams, perhaps Florida State and Clemson.
(Roughly translated, Bowlsby was going to expand and now is whining because he got expanded upon).

The AAC and the Big 12 are the shakiest of the power conferences.
The AAC a power conference ha ha ha ha ha

• Haha
Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here's the thing: I think Oklahoma's history shows they WILL ADAPT to the SEC. They will do so by any means necessary to remain in the blue blood club. We will, in fact, find out whether Lincoln Riley is actually a decent football coach or the Cosmo Kramer of the children's karate class.

If Riley doesn't adapt, he will be gone.

Texas will continue to talk about how much money they have, as if you ever see that statistic on a scoreboard at any stadium anywhere any time.

But as reminder...despite winning the Big 12 six straight times, the Sooners haven't even managed to go through a demonstrably inferior conference undefeated in the regular season in ANY of those six seasons.

And okay, I guess comparing them with Alabama doing this very thing in 2016, 2018, and 2020 is a bit unfair. Can't really compare them to the cream of the crop.

But LSU managed to do it, too. (Note: I'm only referring to "the last six years" they're talking about). And even though Georgia did lose to Auburn in 2017, they still beat Oklahoma.

My point? Those days of reeling off a bunch of conference titles in a row are over - even for the Sooners. But I DO expect them to adapt better than Texas will because they know they must.
I like this post. However, I think with a really good HC (which Sark may be) Texas will be a player in whatever conference they are in. With a really good HC and now a recruiting boost I expect Texas to become a contender along with Oklahoma, LSU, Texas A&M, Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. I do not expect them to stay down for the count. If Texas were stock, I would buy. If the Big 12 were stock I would be selling as fast as I could.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I didn't write this, but it summarizes my thoughts when I first heard there was a chance this would happen.

A few select quotes:

Oklahoma is firmly in college football’s uppercrust. Six straight Big 12 titles. Four college football playoff appearances. Fifteen top 10 finishes since 2000. Seven Heismans, including four this century.

Texas? Not so much.

(Side note: I'd be impressed by 7 Heismans if it actually went to the best player every year - but it rarely does). Put those OU quarterbacks on Texas Tech, and they're not within 500 miles of winning the Heisman.

But the on-field performance does not match the reverence with which the "brand" of Texas is breathlessly discussed.

Bingo

Texas was unranked in the final AP poll five straight seasons from 2013 to 2017. Does that sound like royalty?

Even Vandy ended 2013 ranked. Texas is, well, Vandy with a ton more money and lower admission standards.

The Longhorns have one national championship in the past 50 years. That matches the totals of BYU, Washington, Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh

I mean, this DOES sound like an Alabama fan looking at the bottom line wrote it, but if you're gonna brag like the UTerus, you should be able to produce more, too (SWIDT??)

What it is also getting, outside of that Mack Brown stretch, is a football team that usually isn’t all that great

Epic burial!!!
Also why it might be best, in distinguishing them from the Toxvillians (UcheaT), to refer to the teasipping newcomers who don't matter much on the CFB landscape and haven't for 50 years, as UmooT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.