Select Committee on January 6 Insurrection report...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Representatives Mo Brooks, Matt Gaetz, Andy Biggs, Louis Gohmert, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Scott Perry were among the Republican members of Congress who asked then-president Donald Trump to insulate them from future prosecutions by granting them presidential pardons in the days immediately following the attack on the US Capitol on January 6 last year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Four all beef patties, 6 feet under: the McCPR
I had someone post on Facebook that said “Next time someone mentions January 6, ask him about this guy (had a black sounding name) killed defending his store from rioters.

I guess it isn’t possible for his brain could comprehend that one could think both are wrong but the guy killed in the riot is an issue for the local police and District Attorney and not the US House of Representatives.
I honestly thought Trump losing and leaving town was gonna help things but January 6th has become the latest Trump loyalty litmus test from the usual suspects. Last night a guy I know who I KNOW is smarter than his memes went full Hunter Biden and “Antifa did this.” Antifa did the very thing he told me months ago was a tour that got out of hand.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I honestly thought Trump losing and leaving town was gonna help things but January 6th has become the latest Trump loyalty litmus test from the usual suspects. Last night a guy I know who I KNOW is smarter than his memes went full Hunter Biden and “Antifa did this.” Antifa did the very thing he told me months ago was a tour that got out of hand.
ettd

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No matter how compelling the evidence, does anybody really think a jury could ever be impaneled to unanimously convict the mango moron.
Maybe I'm naive, but I actually do. I mean, let's be clear: IF you get a trial to a jury, they're gonna rule correctly about 99.9% of the time. The obvious misses like, say, OJ Simpson or perhaps Casey Anthony tend to involve celebrities, horribly bad lawyers who probably should be selling aluminum siding in Yazoo City, or some combination of both.

The more difficult thing might be getting it to trial in the first place. Trump was never at any time popular with even a majority of the population (his highest approval rating ever was 47%, and his ratings were the most consistent over a four-year period perhaps of any President ever). And we have about 60% of folks thinking he needs to be charged in this thing anyway.

If we can find a jury of 12 people in the city of DC that had never even heard of the name "Oliver North," we can impanel a jury of 12 people capable of handing down justice on Mango Mussolini, too.

Reactions: Rolltide51

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
it will likely be a re-enactment of clay davis in the wire.

i just hope a lot of these gop ass-kissers who thought they could ride the tiger and benefit end up destitute and in prison
Look at the names and look at the areas they represent and then tell me the GOP even needs them:

Louie Gohmert - has never won less than 61% of the vote and yeah, a Dem had it before when Texas actually elected Democrats

Andy Biggs - has seen his vote totals drop some each election, but it's still a safe seat (AZ-05)

Paul Gosar - gets about 70% each time in a gerrymandered district more favorable to him

Matt Gaetz - Florida-1 used to be called "Wallace Country" (after you know who) and no Dem Prez has won the district since JFK while the Dem reps there were pretty conservative back in the day.

Jim Jordan - in carefully drawn Ohio-4, the area has had ONE Dem rep in the last century.

Mo Brooks - a district (Huntsville) seeming more "R" by the year thus far.

I mean, the GOP will not lose a single seat if it jettisoned all these guys. These guys need the job in Congress more than the GOP needs them.

And you'd think if an online hack like me knows this, so does the national party.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Look at the names and look at the areas they represent and then tell me the GOP even needs them:

Louie Gohmert - has never won less than 61% of the vote and yeah, a Dem had it before when Texas actually elected Democrats

Andy Biggs - has seen his vote totals drop some each election, but it's still a safe seat (AZ-05)

Paul Gosar - gets about 70% each time in a gerrymandered district more favorable to him

Matt Gaetz - Florida-1 used to be called "Wallace Country" (after you know who) and no Dem Prez has won the district since JFK while the Dem reps there were pretty conservative back in the day.

Jim Jordan - in carefully drawn Ohio-4, the area has had ONE Dem rep in the last century.

Mo Brooks - a district (Huntsville) seeming more "R" by the year thus far.

I mean, the GOP will not lose a single seat if it jettisoned all these guys. These guys need the job in Congress more than the GOP needs them.

And you'd think if an online hack like me knows this, so does the national party.
there will be some epic under-bussing if this thing gets too much momentum

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought I would bust a gut tonight when the CNN correspondent called Clark, after he asked Rosen to be his deputy, a "Schlemiel."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The greatest proof that the hearings are working? Trump Republicans are largely ignoring them. As George Conway told me, “Lots of Republicans want this to happen and they’re secretly rooting for Liz. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell wants someone to stick the knife in [Trump]; he just doesn’t want that someone to be him.”

Perhaps the most decisive piece of evidence that the hearings are working is an ABC poll, done after the first three hearings, showing that “nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe former Pres. Trump should be charged with a crime for his role in the Jan. 6 riot.” It’s hard to get Americans to agree on anything, let alone something as polarizing as this. As Bill Kristol tweeted, “58% of Americans: Trump bears ‘great deal’ or ‘good amount’ of responsibility for Jan. 6. 60%: Committee is fair and impartial. 29%: Hearings make me more likely to support Democrat (19% Republican).”

Will the January 6 committee lead to criminal charges? As Neal K. Katyal wrote in The New York Times recently, “Congress cannot bring criminal charges; the Justice Department must do so. And critics of the department are asking why it does not appear to be investigating these allegations. The hearings point to a potential answer: The committee is laying a foundation upon which prosecutors can build in a subsequent investigation.”

We don’t know what the Justice Department will do. But if it takes action, it will almost certainly be thanks, in part, to the very compelling testimony and proof that the January 6 committee presented to the American people.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Back to the insurrection…the committee is just now getting several filmed interviews of Trump a day after it happened. There is no telling what he said, I understand the committee will have to extend the hearings to cover all the new info coming in.
Given Trump’s repeated “they better hope there’s no recording” threats, it will be hilarious and deliciously ironic if he’s ever sunk by…a recording.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The greatest proof that the hearings are working? Trump Republicans are largely ignoring them. As George Conway told me, “Lots of Republicans want this to happen and they’re secretly rooting for Liz. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell wants someone to stick the knife in [Trump]; he just doesn’t want that someone to be him.”

Perhaps the most decisive piece of evidence that the hearings are working is an ABC poll, done after the first three hearings, showing that “nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe former Pres. Trump should be charged with a crime for his role in the Jan. 6 riot.” It’s hard to get Americans to agree on anything, let alone something as polarizing as this. As Bill Kristol tweeted, “58% of Americans: Trump bears ‘great deal’ or ‘good amount’ of responsibility for Jan. 6. 60%: Committee is fair and impartial. 29%: Hearings make me more likely to support Democrat (19% Republican).”

Will the January 6 committee lead to criminal charges? As Neal K. Katyal wrote in The New York Times recently, “Congress cannot bring criminal charges; the Justice Department must do so. And critics of the department are asking why it does not appear to be investigating these allegations. The hearings point to a potential answer: The committee is laying a foundation upon which prosecutors can build in a subsequent investigation.”

We don’t know what the Justice Department will do. But if it takes action, it will almost certainly be thanks, in part, to the very compelling testimony and proof that the January 6 committee presented to the American people.
Yesterday showed me that DOJ is further along than I thought. In fact, they may even be ahead of the committee. I'm talking about the raid on Clark's house and devices...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Maybe I'm naive, but I actually do. I mean, let's be clear: IF you get a trial to a jury, they're gonna rule correctly about 99.9% of the time. The obvious misses like, say, OJ Simpson or perhaps Casey Anthony tend to involve celebrities, horribly bad lawyers who probably should be selling aluminum siding in Yazoo City, or some combination of both.
The more documentaries I watch and the more overturned convictions I see The Innocence Project help get, I'm not sure I believe that 99% number. It is becoming increasingly clear that our system is broken and way too many law enforcement agencies, criminal investigations, are more concerned with getting any conviction instead of the right conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!