Select Committee on January 6 Insurrection report...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw on the news some Trump PAC was paying the guy. And she didn’t testify until the change. That sure seems sleazy.
It is and it's possibly an ethical violation on the part of the attorneys involved. It's not unusual for an employer to defray legal expenses of an employee springing from performing duties at work. However, the principle that an attorney can only serve one master at a time has been long enshrined in our ethics. At the least, it has the appearance of impropriety for an organization connected with Trump to be paying the legal fees of these witnesses. Probably their local bar associations will be looking into it...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was moved by the closing of the authors argument. Emphasis is mine.

After Tuesday, the case for Trump to face equal justice is increasingly strong on a moral and retributive basis as well as on a deterrence basis. Given Trump’s repeated invocations of the “big lie,” there is no reason to think that he has learned any sort of lesson, and he remains popular among his base and continues to be enabled by Republican politicians across the country and in Washington. The ordinary political process seems unable to deal with Trump, so there is no “adequate non-criminal alternative to prosecution.”

We recognize the radical implications of this last point. It’s essentially a call to allow political considerations to enter into what should ordinarily be completely removed from politics: the weighty responsibilities of the federal prosecutor. But when we’re talking about the president of the United States committing not just crimes but attacking the very foundation of democratic government, there’s no way to cleanly separate law from politics. And while indicting a former president who remains the frontrunner for his party’s presidential nomination will no doubt do immense short-term damage to American political stability and raise some potential separation-of-powers issues, the alternative—to allow American democracy to be attacked literally from within and from the very top—is even worse.

Trump, as he so often does, has left the country facing a painful dilemma. Attorney General Merrick Garland has no good options, only bad ones. But the bad options are not all equally bad. While we certainly don’t envy Garland and the difficult decision he has to make, we think that, after Tuesday’s testimony, letting Trump off the hook poses a greater threat to American democracy than does prosecuting him.
On a funnier note, I looked up "lawflessness" to see what it meant. I think it means there was a typo in the article. I had thought it was some legal term I had never heard.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I was moved by the closing of the authors argument. Emphasis is mine.

On a funnier note, I looked up "lawflessness" to see what it meant. I think it means there was a typo in the article. I had thought it was some legal term I had never heard.
This is the money quote right here:

While we certainly don’t envy Garland and the difficult decision he has to make, we think that, after Tuesday’s testimony, letting Trump off the hook poses a greater threat to American democracy than does prosecuting him.

Now, the truth is this is what I believed from the very start of this thing. It was obvious. It was forecasted. It was "pre-visioned" more or less by pretty much everyone here.

America has to do everything it can to protect itself from the domestic enemies like Trump, his allies, and his supporters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That meme is stupid. Everyone knows he charges way more than five cents.
What's funny is I knew SOMEONE would say that, LOL!

(My money was on jthomas or 92tide - but you were ranked third in odds... :) )

Which leads me to ask....how can a so-called billionaire who:
a) charges for everything - he charged Mike Tyson $2 million for being his friend during the rape trial
b) doesn't pay for anything..

How can such a person always be broke??????

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Dont miss the picture on the wall of Washington. (y)
What's funny is I missed that on the small screen of my I phone and noticed it when I logged on today. Thought "don't know if I can get away with that" but I didn't even notice it at first.

Reactions: Bamaro

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.