Shackleford enters the transfer portal - UPDATE he's staying at Bama

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have not been following this story so, was this a change of heart, the the other schools went a different direction or Bama basically re-recruited him and beat the others out?
No inside info but I'd think it was mutual. As I understand the rule once a player enters the portal the University is no longer obligated to honor the scholarship.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
No inside info but I'd think it was mutual. As I understand the rule once a player enters the portal the University is no longer obligated to honor the scholarship.
True ... which is why I think the staff came out and said they weren't recruiting Obanor when we made his top 4. The scholly was officially "open" but I'm sure they didn't want any mixed signals sent.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Good news for Oats and Bama! I really do think it's the best choice for Shack as well. Hope he has a real breakout season!

For Oats, this is a similar win to getting Kira and Petty back in from the portal a couple of years ago.

Reactions: seebell

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This gives us so many combinations in the back court now. We can go tall or small. Shack can take on more of a John Petty role. If JD is all that he’s touted to be, Shack will be a scoring machine.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
With this team, who starts will most likely be based on matchups. But I'm assuming the base now will look like this:

JQ/JD
Shack/Ellis
Nimari/Darius/Holt
Gurley/Gary/Rojas
French/KAH/Bediako

With Shack back, I shifted Nimari and Gary up a position, initially I thought Nimari would play the 2 in Shack's absence and Gary the 3 for depth.

With Shack being back and Rojas out for an extended period of time, this could actually benefit our depth better. Nimari would be an undersized 3 but with his skillset and being a quicker player, he will be a mismatch offensively. They great this is we have a LOT of options when it comes to our lineups.

The ones in red are possible redshirt candidates. Holt will most likely redshirt, Bediako may redshirt but it depends how quickly he picks up the system. All in all, this is arguably one of the best rosters we've had in the history of the program. I'm trying to wait til August before I do a roster preview but we should be very pleased with this team.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
With this team, who starts will most likely be based on matchups. But I'm assuming the base now will look like this:

JQ/JD
Shack/Ellis
Nimari/Darius/Holt
Gurley/Gary/Rojas
French/KAH/Bediako

With Shack back, I shifted Nimari and Gray up a position, initially I thought Nimari would play the 2 in Shack's absence and Gray the 3 for depth.

With Shack being back and Rojas out for an extended period of time, this could actually benefit our depth better. Nimari would be an undersized 3 but with his skillset and being a quicker player, he will be a mismatch offensively. They great this is we have a LOT of options when it comes to our lineups.

The ones in red are possible redshirt candidates. Holt will most likely redshirt, Bediako may redshirt but it depends how quickly he picks up the system. All in all, this is arguably one of the best rosters we've had in the history of the program. I'm trying to wait til August before I do a roster preview but we should be very pleased with this team.
I doubt anyone redshirts given that so many on our roster could leave early for the pros (JD, JQ, Shack, Nimari) or finish up their eligibility (Ellis, Rojas) plus there are always injuries and other surprises. I would have expected Miles and/or KAH to have redshirted last season but both played quite a bit so my guess is CNO is going to use his entire roster every season.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

JQ/JD
Shack/Ellis
Nimari/Darius/Holt
Gurley/Gray/Rojas
French/KAH/Bediako

With Shack back, I shifted Nimari and Gray up a position, initially I thought Nimari would play the 2 in Shack's absence and Gray the 3 for depth.

Gary must hate spell checkers :)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

JQ/JD
Shack/Ellis
Nimari/Darius/Holt
Gurley/Gray/Rojas
French/KAH/Bediako

Gray = Juwan Gary?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Gary must hate spell checkers :)
I should have read the thread before commenting. The last one of these he kept saying Gray and I thought it was just a typo. When it happened again, I was really wondering what was going on. Autocorrect didn't cross my mind, but I bet that's it.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I should have read the thread before commenting. The last one of these he kept saying Gray and I thought it was just a typo. When it happened again, I was really wondering what was going on. Autocorrect didn't cross my mind, but I bet that's it.
Lol naah it was me typing late at night ... fixing now. Good catch.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This gives us so many combinations in the back court now. We can go tall or small. Shack can take on more of a John Petty role. If JD is all that he’s touted to be, Shack will be a scoring machine.
With JD's ability to drive to the rim, if I'm Shack I'm sitting out there behind the 3 point line shooting about 1000 shots a day cause he's going to get a lot of wide-open looks this year.

Are our 2's and 3's really the same position in this offense?
I'd say yes. I think they are kinda a hybrid position - the 2, 3, and even 4 positions. CNO wants them all to be shooters, athletic enough to dribble drive to the rim and athletic enough to be versatile on defense.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'd say yes. I think they are kinda a hybrid position - the 2, 3, and even 4 positions. CNO wants them all to be shooters, athletic enough to dribble drive to the rim and athletic enough to be versatile on defense.
Great points, ideally all 5 spots should have the same skillsets ... be able to dribble and attack the rim, able to spot the open man in space, be able to consistently shoot the 3, AND very important ... be able to play solid defense. There's a great chance we have that at all 5 spots this season.

I've been trying to hold out til August to do a review but I may have to go ahead and just do it, I'm really excited about to possibility of this team lol

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Great points, ideally all 5 spots should have the same skillsets ... be able to dribble and attack the rim, able to spot the open man in space, be able to consistently shoot the 3, AND very important ... be able to play solid defense. There's a great chance we have that at all 5 spots this season.

I've been trying to hold out til August to do a review but I may have to go ahead and just do it, I'm really excited about to possibility of this team lol
Don't disagree about the #5 spot, except to say #1 PG and #5 Center/PF tend to be slightly more specialty players, but there's no doubt CNO wants all 5 to be shooters and able to play in space.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m thinking Ellis becomes Herb this year with a better three pointer. Maybe a tad less on D, but he’s a warrior.
No, I think he becomes our premiere "D" guy. He'll get up in the jock of the guy he's guarding. And yeah, he's got a better shooting stroke from long range.

Now, for another surprise player I nominate Darius Miles. I think he'll explode this year. Long, lean and so athletic.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No, I think he becomes our premiere "D" guy. He'll get up in the jock of the guy he's guarding. And yeah, he's got a better shooting stroke from long range.

Now, for another surprise player I nominate Darius Miles. I think he'll explode this year. Long, lean and so athletic.
Yep, if he can keep his head from bouncing off the court.

• Haha
Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.