Shocker of the day.....Auburn clears itself

ihatefulmer

All-American
Jan 26, 2004
Scottsboro
He said the school is now limiting the number of such “directed-reading,” or independent study courses a professor can offer. In the 2004-2005 academic year, Petee had allowed some 250 students to take the courses, which don’t require classroom attendance but 1-on-1 work with the professor.

Richardson said the investigation centered on the sociology department initially but also found problems in the adult education department.

He said Petee was resigning as interim director of the sociology department and James Witte was stepping down as program chair of adult education. Witte also had been allowing students to take independent study courses, but the numbers involved weren’t immediately available.

Doesn't it seem a little funny that they didn't do anything wrong but 2 people resign their postions and they change the way they do things in the future?

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004
He said the school is now limiting the number of such “directed-reading,” or independent study courses a professor can offer. ...

He said Petee was resigning as interim director of the sociology department and James Witte was stepping down as program chair of adult education.
If there was nothing wrong, why do they need to limit the courses and the professors accused step down from their administrative posts? They're taking measures to fix a problem that they say doesn't exist.

BAMMAR

All-SEC
May 15, 2002
atlanta ga usa
Wow, I would have never thought they would have done that.
I mean aschool like Awburnt that has such a rich history of telling the truth it is just surprising that they would say this.
The Ncaazi's will say they are satisified with Awburnt's results and that will be that more fair and balanced leadership from such a fine group of people.
I hope the mods will not ban me for my sick humor.

Bama12&C

Nov 7, 2005
Opelika
I listened to Richardson's press conference and I may not be a Math major, but I fail to see how he can say this had absolutely nothing to due with athletics. By his own numbers he stated that Athletes made up 18% of the Directed reading courses and football players made up 7%. Since there are 105 football players out of 23,000 students at Auburn, they make up only 0.45% of the student population. If they made up 7% of the Directed reading classes, doesn't that mean football players were 15 and a half times more likely to take a directed reading class than the average student?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm shocked and surprised that anyone here would have the audacity to think, for even one moment, that any improprieties would ever occur on those august pastures...

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
"Richardson asked around and said he couldn't find a single person who would say that athletes were directed toward these classes, or that there was any kind of arrangement between the athletics department and these two branches of Auburn academia."

And all that said "no" were liars.

Auburn did an internal investigation on themselves. Then they came up clean. Okay, if I murdered someone, and the police let me "internally investigate" myself instead of going through the hassle of doing it themselves, do you think I would admit my guilt? Would you?

LTBamaFan

1st Team
Jul 31, 2002
Elmore, Al.
The investigation consisted of a poll of the football coaching staff and players. Did anyone really think that Ed Richardson would go head to head with Tubbs?Sadly Tubbs is king of the barn.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
The investigation consisted of a poll of the football coaching staff and players. Did anyone really think that Ed Richardson would go head to head with Tubbs?Sadly Tubbs is king of the barn.
King of the Barn? Sounds like a Disney film. Or a crappy Nickelodeon or Dreamworks film.

Last edited:

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
Let me get this straight. If Bama wants to get some free grades for it's athletes, we can do it as long as we give free grades to enough other students....yeah, right.:rolleye2:

TiderB

All-American
Dec 18, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Auburn did an internal investigation on themselves. Then they came up clean. Okay, if I murdered someone, and the police let me "internally investigate" myself instead of going through the hassle of doing it themselves, do you think I would admit my guilt? Would you?
Hey guys, I didn't do it and I'm still looking for the real killer. Anybody seen him?

-OJ

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Hey guys, I didn't do it and I'm still looking for the real killer. Anybody seen him?

-OJ

Dear Mr. OJ,

I applaud you for your efforts in searching for the real killer. Many people have given you a hard time for playing golf all this while, but you and I really know that the killer is lurking somewhere out there in a sand trap. Keep up the good work.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
Regis did it!

Whoops, getting off topic. I forget sometimes that OJ played football, and well. Maybe he is responsible for the misbehaving and misconduct of the modern student athlete. "Hey, OJ got away with murder! What's a few fist fights and some tampered grades here and there?"

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
I listened to Richardson's press conference and I may not be a Math major, but I fail to see how he can say this had absolutely nothing to due with athletics. By his own numbers he stated that Athletes made up 18% of the Directed reading courses and football players made up 7%. Since there are 105 football players out of 23,000 students at Auburn, they make up only 0.45% of the student population. If they made up 7% of the Directed reading classes, doesn't that mean football players were 15 and a half times more likely to take a directed reading class than the average student?
Very good point. However, no one has accused many barners of being smart enough to figure this out.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.