Should Alabama Football Retire Numbers?

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I came across this from SDS. I wouldn’t be totally opposed but I think Saban is more about the team as a whole than individual players. It’s a fact that Devonta Smith is easily the most decorated player in Alabama history. Could this happen some years down the road?

Link

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I would vote, if they go a retirement route, for retiring the jersey, so the combination of Smith and 6, Henry and 2, Harris and 22, etc.

There are just not that many available numbers in the game with the various numbering rules, like linemen and being numbered 50-79.

Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I say 22 and 6 should be retired but that’s about it. I think with how great we are evolving as an offensive juggernaut we probably shouldn’t retire every Heisman number because we are bound to get more. Mark was our first and Devonta is an extremely special Heisman so they get my vote. I still think every Heisman should get a statue around the stadium. But ultimately Bama is a program based upon team accomplishments not individual awards. But Mark and Devonta are extremely special players.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I say 22 and 6 should be retired but that’s about it. I think with how great we are evolving as an offensive juggernaut we probably shouldn’t retire every Heisman number because we are bound to get more. Mark was our first and Devonta is an extremely special Heisman so they get my vote. I still think every Heisman should get a statue around the stadium. But ultimately Bama is a program based upon team accomplishments not individual awards. But Mark and Devonta are extremely special players.
Not that I disagree with Mark or Devonta’s importance, I’d argue that we do not win 2015 without Henry. Would we have won 2009 without Mark, and 2020 without Devonta? I’m not sure. I doubt it, but there is no doubt in mind that we absolutely do not win 2015 without Derrick.

That’s the rub for me with retiring numbers. There’s too many great players to choose from over the years.

Reactions: rolltd and bamacon

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
NCAA would have to allow LETTERS, or Decimals, FRACTIONS or something else quick! Too much talent coming through to be PROCESSED BABY!!!! RTR!

There is more to TRADITION than anything else. Change nothing or than adding something for our Heisman Trophy winners.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I like Tubafore’s idea of retiring jerseys and not numbers...

Smith

Henry

etc...

It’d be pretty hard to duplicate a name and a number that deserved that honor...and the numbers would always be available to a current player.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.