Should Alabama Football Retire Numbers?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Haven't read the thread, but I'm pretty sure someone has already pointed out that we'd run out of numbers if we did.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
No way. If a future player want's to wear Jersey#6, I'm sure it will be pointed out to them what Alabama Fans think of when they see that number.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Wait.......a minute, people in this thread don't want to see #1.3 playing QB in the year 2036. Or #1.9 playing WR? Or player #54.9 playing LBer? Whaaaaaaat?

A school like Alabama very well could retired every number because at some point a great player has worn each number.

So my answer is resounding no.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Nope, certainly not permanently. Temporarily, a year or two as a tribute........? There is, however, the issue of having enough numbers.

BamaGorilla

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 17, 2006
Cumming, GA
No... I love seeing new guys with a number that has some special meaning to me as a fan.
For example:
22 - Johnny Musso; Mark Ingram; Najee Harris
12 - Ken Stabler; Joe Namath; Brodie Croyle; Greg McElroy; and of course Paul Bryant

I cant see a new player with those numbers without thinking of those greats... and I love those memories

(after some more research... I may be wrong on Paul Bryant.
There is a photograph of Bryant with Don Hutson and Bryant is wearing jersey No. 12, though there is no evidence he ever wore No. 12 in a game. )

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I don't believe in retiring numbers. However, I would not be opposed to a ring of honor for individual players or some other way of honoring them in the Walk of Champions.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.