Should I bother to vote?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Due to my work schedule, today is the last day I will have a chance to vote absentee for the primary.

My question is, is it even worth the trouble to go to the courthouse and fill out the ballot? If I do, I will vote for Ivey and Britt. Not really a fan of either, but they are the least objectionable to me. Yes, there are others running who are probably better people but none have a chance.

So do I go through the hassle of the process because it is my “civic duty”? Not wasting my time to write in Nick Saban or anything like that.

I really don’t want Mo Brooks in the Senate or Tim James as governor, but I don’t think things will be much different if they are.

I used to think you had to vote but no longer feel that way as none of them really deserve my vote.

If I didn’t travel for work and would be in town next Tuesday I would go vote but having to vote absentee just seems like more trouble than it’s worth. In 2024 I will definitely do it because voting against Trump is worth the trouble.

Reactions: MobtownK

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You and I have similar feelings about the upcoming primary.

I didn’t vote in the 2020 election because I couldn’t stomach either presidential candidate, knew that Alabama would overwhelmingly go for Trump, and my vote was therefore meaningless.

The 2022 primary is different because our votes actually mean something. Durant has lost some momentum, due largely to his refusal to talk anywhere and the word getting out about his conduct around his sister being sexually abused by their father. Britt has picked up some of that support. Brooks has a hard core of support that probably won’t erode any further, and has picked up the former Durant support that Britt didn’t get.

In all likelihood, the Senate primary will end in a runoff, and this one matters.

I know Brooks is dumb as a sack of rocks. I know Durant has been duplicitous in covering up for a confessed incestuous sexual abuser. Whereas I once actively advocated for Britt, I’ve been greatly disappointed by her campaign‘s veer toward Trump and touting her status as a mother as a major qualification for office.

Based on what I knew of her prior to the run for Senate, I’m hoping she doesn’t really feel that way, and is mouthing the shibboleth only because her polling says that’s what she has to do to get elected.

Regarding governor, I’ll vote for MeMaw mainly because Blanchard is a certifiable loon, not too far from Marjorie Taylor Greene.

So yeah, I fully understand the ambivalence, and feel a lot of it myself. But I’ll vote in this one because it actually matters this time around.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You and I have similar feelings about the upcoming primary.

I didn’t vote in the 2020 election because I couldn’t stomach either presidential candidate, knew that Alabama would overwhelmingly go for Trump, and my vote was therefore meaningless.

The 2022 primary is different because our votes actually mean something. Durant has lost some momentum, due largely to his refusal to talk anywhere and the word getting out about his conduct around his sister being sexually abused by their father. Britt has picked up some of that support, and Brooks has a hard core of support that probably won’t erode any further, and has picked up some of the former Durant support.

In all likelihood, the Senate primary will end in a runoff, and this one matters.

I know Brooks is dumb as a sack of rocks. I know Durant has been duplicitous in covering up for a confessed incestuous sexual abuser. Whereas I once actively advocated for Britt, I’ve been greatly disappointed by her campaign‘s veer toward Trump and touting her status as a mother as a major qualification for office.

Based on what I knew of her prior to the run for Senate, I’m hoping she doesn’t really feel that way, and is mouthing the shibboleth only because her polling says that what she has to do to get elected.

Regarding governor, I’ll vote for MeMaw mainly because Blanchard is a certifiable loon, not too far from Marjorie Taylor Greene.

So yeah, I fully understand the ambivalence, and feel a lot of it myself. But I’ll vote in this one because it actually matters this time around.
I’ll fight the urge not to do the same thing until the final hour but will prolly wind up following the same reasoning.

I can’t believe it’s come to this.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I still have not made up my mind if I want Vinings to be a city. Any of my fellow Georgia residents have an opinion? East Cobb, Vinings, Mableton, and Lost Mountain are up for consideration.

Reactions: 92tide

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My thoughts on voting: part of the process is doing your due diligence to decide who all to vote for. Actually going to the polls ends my civic duty and is the easiest part of the process. I generally celebrate with a beer or two. I've voted for a lot of losers in my time, but at least I've done my part for my country. Having never served, I feel it's the least I can do.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
IMO,
if you dont care, dont vote;
if you're uninformed, dont vote;
if you're misinformed (aka a fox watcher) dont vote.

Voting is not for the lame and the lazy.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Due to my work schedule, today is the last day I will have a chance to vote absentee for the primary.

My question is, is it even worth the trouble to go to the courthouse and fill out the ballot? If I do, I will vote for Ivey and Britt. Not really a fan of either, but they are the least objectionable to me. Yes, there are others running who are probably better people but none have a chance.

So do I go through the hassle of the process because it is my “civic duty”? Not wasting my time to write in Nick Saban or anything like that.

I really don’t want Mo Brooks in the Senate or Tim James as governor, but I don’t think things will be much different if they are.

I used to think you had to vote but no longer feel that way as none of them really deserve my vote.

If I didn’t travel for work and would be in town next Tuesday I would go vote but having to vote absentee just seems like more trouble than it’s worth. In 2024 I will definitely do it because voting against Trump is worth the trouble.
For years I have lost my vote by voting for someone who didn't stand a dogs chance of being elected. Vote. Like you I'll vote for someone other than most of the mud slinging candidates. I'd hate to see Tim James elected, because I stayed home.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Even if you can't stand the major senate candidates, there are usually some down ballot people to vote for. I've never seen a ballot that didn't have at least one candidate I was excited about. We had at least 8 races where I'm at on the ballot, and I'd taken the time to meet some of the candidates, who were well informed and seemed like great candidates.

As a citizen, it's our duty to be informed, lest we end up with a Lukanshenko or worse. Furthermore, I generally think a government with a minority that has to be compromised with is best as well, so no straight party tickets.

Go vote!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wound up not voting. I would have had to go to the courthouse (about a 30 minute drive) on my way out of town and other factors delayed my departure as to where it would have been a major inconvenience.

Yes, there are other races on the ballot but none really spark my interest. My mailbox has been flooded with fliers with everyone telling me how much they love Trump.

If we had early voting it would be great if I could just go to a polling station. But they don’t want to make it easy to vote.

Living in a one party state has soured me on the process. Maybe if there is a runoff in one of the big races I’ll go.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
That's their whole intent is to sour us on the process. Drive down turnout such its only a battle of fanatics.

When I got old enough to vote, my dad sat me down and told me that voting was a very important duty as a citizen. He went on to say that if I did not vote that I was making a decision to be comfortable living with government that is not a democracy. While we may not like the candidates, democracy our demands your participation.

I think about what he said everytime I go vote and I have missed very few opportunities to cast my ballot.

I wound up not voting. I would have had to go to the courthouse (about a 30 minute drive) on my way out of town and other factors delayed my departure as to where it would have been a major inconvenience.

Yes, there are other races on the ballot but none really spark my interest. My mailbox has been flooded with fliers with everyone telling me how much they love Trump.

If we had early voting it would be great if I could just go to a polling station. But they don’t want to make it easy to vote.

Living in a one party state has soured me on the process. Maybe if there is a runoff in one of the big races I’ll go.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
That's their whole intent is to sour us on the process. Drive down turnout such its only a battle of fanatics.

When I got old enough to vote, my dad sat me down and told me that voting was a very important duty as a citizen. He went on to say that if I did not vote that I was making a decision to be comfortable living with government that is not a democracy. While we may not like the candidates, democracy our demands your participation.

I think about what he said everytime I go vote and I have missed very few opportunities to cast my ballot.
Primaries were created to let voters select party candidates. However, the parties really don't want people voting that aren't informed about their policies and will select the better candidate for their platform/party preference. The candidates will often muck this process up though ending up with candidates that are politically damaged due to mudslinging. I tend to ignore the mudslinging and look at the candidate's platforms and try to meet the candidates I can. Some will even email you or call you back if you reach out to them respectfully.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You guys can talk it it up all you want but, as someone who doesn't support a single GOP in this state and views all of them as bottom of the barrel trash (including the much talked about normal candidate, Britt, who wasted no time sucking up to Trump), voting in the primaries is a meaningless waste of time.

Maybe I'm too disheartened because I just can't muster the will to vote for anything GOP related these days and that means, in this state, I have no say. I'll probably never vote in a presidential election again until we get rid of the EC. I want my vote to count but, I am silenced by all the Trump loons in AL.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Some additional information regarding primaries in Alabama.

https://sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/faqs said:
When I voted in the Primary Election, I was asked to declare a political party preference. Why is that?
In Alabama, the primary election is part of the nominating process for a political party. It is used to select who will represent a party in the general election. You are required to choose one political party’s primary over another because you cannot participate in the nomination of both parties’ candidates. However, in the general election, you may split your ticket and vote for candidates from each political party.

What happens if I do not want to declare a political party preference at the Primary Election?
If you choose not to declare a political preference at the primary election, you will not be eligible to vote in any political party’s primary election. You are, however, still eligible to vote on any proposed constitutional amendments that are up for a vote.

I voted in my political party's Primary Election. My party is not having a runoff. Can I vote in the other party's runoff?
No. In 2017, the Alabama Legislature passed Act 2017-340. The act prohibits a person from voting in one political party's primary election and voting in a different political party's primary runoff election. Therefore, if you vote in a primary election and want to vote in a primary runoff election, you must vote in the primary runoff election of the same political party that you chose in the primary election. However, if you did not vote in a political party's primary election and would like to vote in the primary runoff election, you may choose which political party's primary runoff election you would like to vote in.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I went and checked and there apparently is a constitutional amendment on the ballot today.

If you don't want to declare a party affiliation you can either ignore the primary candidates or you can ask for just a constitutional amendment ballot.

https://sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/faqs said:
In a Primary Election, am I allowed to vote for the Constitutional Amendments only?
Yes. In fact, if you choose not to participate in nominating candidates for either political party, you can request a constitutional amendment ballot that contains only the proposed constitutional amendments.
I went and looked for the sample ballots. Found one and here is the text of the constitutional amendment.

https://www.sos.alabama.gov/sites/default/files/sample-ballots/2022/pri/Madison-Pri-2022R.pdf said:
STATEWIDE AMENDMENT
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, authorizing the issuance and sale of general obligation bonds of the State of Alabama of up to $85,000,000 for the purposes of the improvement, renovation, equipping, acquisition, provision, construction, and maintenance of Alabama state parks under the jurisdiction of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, and public historical sites and public historical parks under the jurisdiction of the Alabama Historical Commission. (Proposed by Act 2021-326)

• Thank You

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
We know which way this is all going to go - & I'll be voting in the republican primary too, so we don't end up with a flat earther...but why can't Alabama democrats be more public.
Why in the hell are all of us voting in the Republican primary when we should be choosing outstanding democrats. We're basically casting our lots so we don't end up with Mo Brooks again. I get it - I'm doing the same, but what a horrible position to be in.

Reactions: uafanataum

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Oh, there are democrats running in this election! Could have fooled me.

I will not be voting in the Trump lovefest primary. A waste of my time. So we don't end of with Mo again, big deal. The rest of them are just as bad or worse, even everyone's darling Mrs. Britt. Anyone willing to toss out their sense or moral to lick Trump's rear is worthless IMO. I wash my hands of ever marking a GOP name on a ballot again.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I get the reasons I should vote, it just wasn’t worth the trouble for me. As I said, if was going to be home on Election Day, I would have voted.

I don’t really want Mo as my senator but it’s not the end of the world.

No, the Democrats seem to have thrown in the towel in Alabama. They aren’t even fielding a candidate in some races. If a party doesn’t even have a crazy who signs up just to get their name on the ballot, what hope do they have. They tried with Maddox for governor four years ago and it went nowhere. Jones’ victory was a fluke.

I live in Alabama but work mostly in Georgia. I was talking to a Trumpie co-worker recently and said all our ads were ones with people bragging about how far up Trump’s butt they are. He said it was the same with the other side.

I have seen a few TV ads in Georgia. One has Stacy Abrams talking with some white woman. A fluff piece, but it isn’t negative and she doesn’t mention Biden or Trump.

A Warnock ad has him mentioning what he has done as Senator. I don’t know how much he had to do with it, but it is a positive ad. Same I’ve seen with the woman Congressman. Uplifting and it isn’t praising Biden or trashing Trump.

So I don’t know what ads this guy is watching.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.