Should Taulia transfer to another school? [5/15 It's Official: Taulia to Maryland]

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Well, nobody’s had the chance to beat out Mac since there was no spring ball 🙄 but he had all last season to make a mark.

To me it sounds like Lia knew he would have a harder time beating out BY more so than Mac, so this was the perfect time to bounce
This is what makes the response seem like a Cookie cutter parent response. He wasn’t given a chance, but BY wasn’t given a chance to beat him out. He could very well have been third string after spring, instead he was second behind Mac.

I don’t have a problem with him losing his shirt. Our starting quarterback was injured throughout the season and he was the backup. He needed the reps and live action, especially after I saw the hits Mac was taking.

Reactions: seebell and The Ols

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is what makes the response seem like a Cookie cutter parent response. He wasn’t given a chance, but BY wasn’t given a chance to beat him out. He could very well have been third string after spring, instead he was second behind Mac.

I don’t have a problem with him losing his shirt. Our starting quarterback was injured throughout the season and he was the backup. He needed the reps and live action, especially after I saw the hits Mac was taking.
But the report said Galu didn't want him to transfer.

FWIW, I agree he might have finished spring #3, and if BY lives up to the 5 star potential, that was probably going to happen at some point anyway.

So, to me, it sounds like Lia just wanted to go somewhere that he felt he could get on the field and play faster/more.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
But the report said Galu didn't want him to transfer.

FWIW, I agree he might have finished spring #3, and if BY lives up to the 5 star potential, that was probably going to happen at some point anyway.

So, to me, it sounds like Lia just wanted to go somewhere that he felt he could get on the field and play faster/more.
Right. A cookie cutter response to protect his son, to not have to say he didn’t think he could beat out Mac or BY, so he left. Throws a little disrespect into the bowl and Talia is the victim.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The truth is that he had a chance...it is called practice and it happened both before and after Tua was hurt. He did not show enough for the coaches to move him ahead of Mac, pure and simple. Maturity is about showing up each and every day...no matter what.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAllday and The Ols

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
In the article Galu says that he wanted Taulia to stay, but Taulia felt he had not been given a chance to beat out Mac. Says that they are staying in Alabaster to support their 2 daughters in school and their nephew Ti? who is a QB at Thompson.
So much for all the internet splatter about moving to Miami, etc.
Does Taulia mean that the Coaches (QB, OC, and Saban) did not give him a chance to win the starting QB position or does he mean he wasn't given a chance to compete to beat out whoever because there was NO Spring practice/Spring Game?

Reactions: seebell

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Does Taulia mean that the Coaches (QB, OC, and Saban) did not give him a chance to win the starting QB position or does he mean he wasn't given a chance to compete to beat out whoever because there was NO Spring practice/Spring Game?
He was given a chance. It was called last year.

I’m just glad it’s over to be honest. Wish him well, but we really don’t need the drama of a 3 horse qb battle with UGA week 3. Plus I think it’s for the best for all parties to leave after Tua said “I’m going to declare to the NFL”.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He was given a chance. It was called last year.

I’m just glad it’s over to be honest. Wish him well, but we really don’t need the drama of a 3 horse qb battle with UGA week 3. Plus I think it’s for the best for all parties to leave after Tua said “I’m going to declare to the NFL”.
"Not given a chance" is code for "I wasn't handed the starting position"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll tell you how "rare" Tua was. During his time as starter nobody thought the #2 QB was better. Much less the #3 QB, even if it was his brother.

How good is Mac Jones? Well last year after Tua's injury, no one said the #2 (Lia) was better.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'll tell you how "rare" Tua was. During his time as starter nobody thought the #2 QB was better. Much less the #3 QB, even if it was his brother.

How good is Mac Jones? Well last year after Tua's injury, no one said the #2 (Lia) was better.
I tend to stay out of game threads (too much negativity), but I am willing to bet that after Mac's second INT in the Iron Bowl there were a few grumblings.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I tend to stay out of game threads (too much negativity), but I am willing to bet that after Mac's second INT in the Iron Bowl there were a few grumblings.
Honestly I made that mistake in 2014 and 2015, and I regretted it. There were a lot of mean things said about the qbs in 14 and 15 during game and post game threads.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly I made that mistake in 2014 and 2015, and I regretted it. There were a lot of mean things said about the qbs in 14 and 15 during game and post game threads.
I love talking QBs, but not during game threads. It's too emotionally charged. But, I get it too. They are the only player who touches the ball every play (other than the center, of course).

I'd say we should brace ourselves for the first game Mac struggles next year. BY waiting in the shadows will be more than some will be able to take.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I do post in post game threads, but tend to skip over certain posters that have been known to post negativity. we all know who I am referring to and I will not put his name here.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Well, I believe Tua sort of spoiled us in that regard. It just was very disappointing, after watching some of the replays from last years games, that he was injured. He was setting so many records and it was just pure enjoyment watching him QB the Tide. One probably has to wonder, what if he had not been hurt, and decided to stay for his Senior Year...WOW!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Tualia is anything like his older brother I doubt that he did not try to earn the position. Maybe he was just not talented enough to make even the second string.
Agreed. It's hard to accept you maybe can't be as elite as you want to be. I spoke of this earlier. I had "the will" to be great in basketball, but I didn't have the God-given skills needed to succeed at a super-high level.

Not saying Lia isn't talented, or he wasn't willing to try, but it just might be he is being "realistic" about his ability to get the PT he desires.

Reactions: Padreruf

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Real talk: no one who ever saw Lia play thought he was Tua 2.0. He will be a good / great QB for someone, but there was a 0% chance he was going to beat out Mac. Could be heat BY? Maybe - all we know about Young so far is conjecture. But we know for a fact Lia wasn't going to play much this year, and if BY was as good as expected, Lia wouldn't have seen any playing time next season.

It is what it is, but Lia - to date - hasn't shown the same skill level as Tua.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.