Should we feel righteous and superior or mad at Sankey?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I’m struggling with what I’m supposed to feel right now. The SEC played games yesterday. Alabama may have lost the leading tackler on the team, Florida probably lost all chances of the playoff, and Kyle Trask’s Heisman campaign took a serious hit. (on a positive note, Ed Orgeron probably fended off the wolves at least for a little while.)

Meanwhile the ACC canceled their games and Ohio State has only played five to begin with.

Should I get on my high horse and criticize the other conferences and teams for not being real men (with apologies to Sarah Fuller) and playing football, or should I be furious with Greg Sankey for allowing games to be played that really did not matter at all, thereby hurting the conference’s chances for getting teams into the playoff healthy and rested (or at all, in Florida‘s case)?

Help me out before I open the twitters.

Reactions: FaninLA

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Players can be injured without contact. That said what should happen is OSU is left out and loser of ND/Clemson is out. What’s going to happen is ND is in unless they get blown out. OSU is in unless they wet the bed. Clemson is in with a win. That’s it and there won’t be much drama. A&M, Cincinnati and USC won’t be in top 4.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's a double edge sword that simply depends on which side of the blade cuts your way. Football is a physical sport and it takes a toll on the body. Most normal seasons we're needing a break by game 11, 12 & 13 yet have to keep playing.

BUt with this season, we only played 10 games and I can't count one that was truly a "physical" game for our team. We dismantled everyone pretty quick and easy. I hate the injuries yesterday, but I also don't want to disrupt the momentum this offense and team has going right now. They are rolling and we also have to remember are highly conditioned athletes. They can take A LOT more on their bodies than what they've endured this season regarding fatigue and just wear and tear. But I get it, no one likes the injuries.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The games were scheduled to be played so they should have been played. If Arkansas or LSU had canceled an argument could have been made to cancel the other game.

Reactions: 9gks and UAllday

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Players can be injured without contact. That said what should happen is OSU is left out and loser of ND/Clemson is out. What’s going to happen is ND is in unless they get blown out. OSU is in unless they wet the bed. Clemson is in with a win. That’s it and there won’t be much drama. A&M, Cincinnati and USC won’t be in top 4.
Trust me. I’m not a ND fan AT ALL. But why would they be out if they lose?

If Clemson wins, it should be Bama, Clemson, ND, and A&M

If ND wins, it should be Bama, ND, A&M and tOSU

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Fla/LSU game (and maybe Harris injury) shows that playing games matters. The SEC played 10 games, OSU only risked injury or upset 6 times. That doesn't disqualify OSU but it's certainly something that the committee must take into consideration when selecting the top 4 on Tuesday.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't give a rip about the SEC. I pull for Alabama, and the games yesterday helped Alabama.

Sankey was right, as was Dari on the SEC Network last night. The extra game played casts even more doubt on a CFP committee choice of OSU after only playing 6 games. But it only helps Alabama, so 🤷‍♂️

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't give a rip about the SEC. I pull for Alabama, and the games yesterday helped Alabama.

Sankey was right, as was Dari on the SEC Network last night. The extra game played casts even more doubt on a CFP committee choice of OSU after only playing 6 games. But it only helps Alabama, so 🤷‍♂️
With 10 regular season games under their belt, plus an 11th counting the SECCG. It put Alabama in a position of even if we some how lose next Saturday, we're still in, just from the number of games we've had to display our team. I don't think we lose, but "if" we do, we have 11 games to point to and say "show me why you'd keep us out and put another team in."

Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Before the Arkansas game i was of the opinion that it was a useless game that shouldn't be played. After watching yesterday's outcomes I no longer hold that opinion.

Ohio State does not deserve a spot in the playoff...yesterday screams at the committee that they don't. Are they one of the 4 best....maybe...I can't see that because they haven't played as many games. And its not just a 1 game difference here, they've played essentially half as many games as the other contenders.

Let the Pac 12 and Big 10 champions play each other in a bowl game, but keep them away from the teams that have trudged through an entire seasons worth of games. I dont want to see an 11-0 or 10-1 team matched up with a 6-0 team. A team thats missed an entire months worth of wear and tear does not deserve to be there. The strengths of schedule at that point is comparing apples and a shoe thrown 20 yards.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Before the Arkansas game i was of the opinion that it was a useless game that shouldn't be played. After watching yesterday's outcomes I no longer hold that opinion.

Ohio State does not deserve a spot in the playoff...yesterday screams at the committee that they don't. Are they one of the 4 best....maybe...I can't see that because they haven't played as many games. And its not just a 1 game difference here, they've played essentially half as many games as the other contenders.

Let the Pac 12 and Big 10 champions play each other in a bowl game, but keep them away from the teams that have trudged through an entire seasons worth of games. I dont want to see an 11-0 or 10-1 team matched up with a 6-0 team. A team thats missed an entire months worth of wear and tear does not deserve to be there. The strengths of schedule at that point is comparing apples and a shoe thrown 20 yards.
Been saying it since the b1g’s first game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But they will be incredibly well rested compared to the others and that is the issue I have with it.
Double edged sword since OSU has also not had time to create a team identity. IMO, if the Bucks get into the CFP, that will be our downfall. We have not played in tough games. You learn a lot about yourself by fighting through adversity. We are simply not a fully developed team. I don't think that the rest outweighs that pitfall.

Reactions: Con and TiderJack

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No. I’m sick and tired of this absolute risk avoidance mindset that has crept into every facet of our lives. You cannot live without any risk whatsoever.

Every one of those Alabama players came to Alabama to play the games; not sit at their dorms and apartments in order to avoid injury. I’m damn proud of what the SEC and Alabama in particular have done in the midst of all this insanity and chaos. It’s inspiring and we all should be thankful they were willing to meet the challenges head on.

I maintain that Alabama is going to be richly rewarded for their efforts. There is a reason why they’ve looked so dominant while even the best of the rest has looked lost at times. It’s because they were willing to put in the effort required despite the risks.

God bless them all. Because they didn’t have to, and even if it’s “just a game” it meant something to millions of people.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
No. I’m sick and tired of this absolute risk avoidance mindset that has crept into every facet of our lives. You cannot live without any risk whatsoever.

Every one of those Alabama players came to Alabama to play the games; not sit at their dorms and apartments in order to avoid injury. I’m damn proud of what the SEC and Alabama in particular have done in the midst of all this insanity and chaos. It’s inspiring and we all should be thankful they were willing to meet the challenges head on.

I maintain that Alabama is going to be richly rewarded for their efforts. There is a reason why they’ve looked so dominant while even the best of the rest has looked lost at times. It’s because they were willing to put in the effort required despite the risks.

God bless them all. Because they didn’t have to, and even if it’s “just a game” it meant something to millions of people.
Agreed...but shouldn’t we all have to take the same risks? (Football wise.) 4 potential playoff teams stayed home, no risk.

2 played...one lost their shot and one had notable injuries...fair?

Reactions: FaninLA and CraigD

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.