SI article - NCAA is exploding before our very eyes

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
For decades, people have theorized and even fantasized about the Power 5 (the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big 12, the Big Ten, the Pacific-12 and the Southeastern) breaking off and leaving the rest of Division I behind. This is a sign of increased intent to consider a secession of sorts.

Taken individually, each story is startling news. Taken collectively, it is a flurry of body blows that signal a critical inflection point for college sports. Is a controversial collegiate system buckling beneath its own weight? Can eternally embattled NCAA president Mark Emmert survive this? Should either Emmert or the institution itself survive?

“It’s probably the toughest period the NCAA has faced in a long time,” a veteran Power 5 athletic director told Sports Illustrated Sunday. “I can’t look at an issue in recent times and say, ‘We got good leadership on that.’ It’s hard not to see significant change coming out of this.”

Will that change include replacing Emmert, whose decade-long tenure has played out to a near-constant drumbeat of criticism?

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Emmert and his gang have had next to nothing to say, almost like a horde of sullen trolls huddled together in their cave, cursing change while they guard what remains of their TV money.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The question will always remain: what will replace the NCAA that does not end up looking like the old Southwest Conference and/or boosters and middlemen throwing money around to buy the best team possible and make a pseudo NFL? I'm not justifying the NCAA, but there's so much pressure and money making the NCAA's job nearly impossible which will not go away if the NCAA does.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The question will always remain: what will replace the NCAA that does not end up looking like the old Southwest Conference and/or boosters and middlemen throwing money around to buy the best team possible and make a pseudo NFL? I'm not justifying the NCAA, but there's so much pressure and money making the NCAA's job nearly impossible which will not go away if the NCAA does.
There's zero reason conferences can't throw the NCAA aside and come up with something better - something without the agenda of hamstringing the big schools to make football 'accessible to all schools', making arbitrary rules, etc.

And if it means jettisoning an organization that doesn't do anything to schools like UNC while hammering schools like Bama over textbooks, then let it burn.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The writer's main concern seems to be march madness without the likes of VCU playing (and possibly beating) a P5 school.

Who cares. Not me. The NCAA is / has been / and always will be a corrupt, spiteful, pointy-headed, haughty, good-for-nothing organization run by people who hate the likes of SEC schools and particularly Alabama. It was this long before the current state of player wokeness and will be long after if it doesn't implode in the near term.

The larger question for the P5 is how do they respond to 18-22 yr olds making demands because they have a 'platform' ? The next 18 year old I meet that has any semblance of real, tangible wisdom to impart will be the first.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And if it means jettisoning an organization that doesn't do anything to schools like UNC while hammering schools like Bama over textbooks, then let it burn.
I don't expect I'd grieve overmuch.
After the ridiculous unprofessional way they treated my alma mater, I'd rather tap-dance on the grave of that institution.
NCAA, you made you bed. Sleep in it.

drjohn432

1st Team
Nov 28, 1999
mobile
The writer's main concern seems to be march madness without the likes of VCU playing (and possibly beating) a P5 school.

Who cares. Not me. The NCAA is / has been / and always will be a corrupt, spiteful, pointy-headed, haughty, good-for-nothing organization run by people who hate the likes of SEC schools and particularly Alabama. It was this long before the current state of player wokeness and will be long after if it doesn't implode in the near term.

The larger question for the P5 is how do they respond to 18-22 yr olds making demands because they have a 'platform' ? The next 18 year old I meet that has any semblance of real, tangible wisdom to impart will be the first.
been following you for more than 20 years, this is why. good insight. keep the faith and keep helping enlightening a dim world

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.