Sources: Charlie Strong joins Nick Saban's staff at Alabama

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
During his four-year stint at Louisville, he led the Cardinals to a 37–15 record and reached a bowl game each season, including the 2013 Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a dumpster fire when he got there. I think that was a no win situation for him but much respect to Coach Strong for turning the ship around while there. I think the culture there may have had something to do with things not going as well. That's just speculation on my part.

Sounds like this is close to a done deal.

Congrats - this is a big win for your football staff!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
During his four-year stint at Louisville, he led the Cardinals to a 37–15 record and reached a bowl game each season, including the 2013 Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a dumpster fire when he got there. I think that was a no win situation for him but much respect to Coach Strong for turning the ship around while there. I think the culture there may have had something to do with things not going as well. That's just speculation on my part.

So is the assumption that Strong would join the staff as an analyst like Kiffin, Sark, and Jones and Applewhite have in the past?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I remember the Ole Sis game where Bama got behind by a large margin, then Gary Hollingsworth cut loose and Bama score 62 points and blew Ole Sissy away
Yep! We were down 21-0 in the first quarter and scored 62 unanswered points. Seems like yesterday... :cool:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yep! We were down 21-0 in the first quarter and scored 62 unanswered points. Seems like yesterday... :cool:
My Dad left frustrated when it was 21-0 and went to the grocery store. 20 minutes later he came back and they were up 28-21, and he couldn’t believe it.

The rest of the game was a blast.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I remember the Ole Sis game where Bama got behind by a large margin, then Gary Hollingsworth cut loose and Bama score 62 points and blew Ole Sissy away
People today really don't realize what a 21-0 lead at the half used to be. A death sentence in those days. Especially with traditional Alabama offenses or, really, anybody's. I was "recovering" from a large time the night before and my future wife and I had ordered a pizza from the new Dominoes in Tuscaloosa. She was new to town and Alabama football. What a way to make a rabid fan of a green Freshman! Alabama has always had miracle wins and that was right up there! Just magic!

• Crying
Reactions: Tideflyer

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I think one of the 'Big Hats' didn't like Charlie in a Stetson.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
People today really don't realize what a 21-0 lead at the half used to be. A death sentence in those days. Especially with traditional Alabama offenses or, really, anybody's. I was "recovering" from a large time the night before and my future wife and I had ordered a pizza from the new Dominoes in Tuscaloosa. She was new to town and Alabama football. What a way to make a rabid fan of a green Freshman! Alabama has always had miracle wins and that was right up there! Just magic!
Sorry hit the emoji by mistake

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Allow me to speculate, but..................

CNS has been around far too long to realistically expect those demands would be met at Bevo U. Could be they felt a lot of us needed to have the daylights scared out of us in order to put the "underappreciated" crap to rest.

BTW..........someone has already amended CCS's Wikipedia page to indicate his new position. Probably just a prank since the guy who started it graduated from Bama.
All Bran - and let's hope his next plea for pennies is to get Gus a lifetime extension.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We were down 21-0, but it wasn't at the half....it was in the first half of the first quarter, aided by an interception and a blocked punt.

After that nasty beginning, it was all Alabama -- we were actually up 48-21 at the half, having scored 48 points in about 1.5 quarters.

kenbama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 15, 2008
We were at that game, sitting among Ole Miss fans, very noisy for those first minutes. Oh what a difference when we came roaring back then ahead.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Dear God this board can chase a squirrel.

Back to the subject of Strong. Most likely it's just a visit. if it's more than that then there is the issue of a one and done DC. We've had too much of that and it's damaged recruiting too much. So even if a better DC Shows up we need more of a commitment to our program than to just use it as a spring board to your next head coaching GIG.

BUT if he want to cool his heals for a year and sort of recharge the old batteries as an analyst then by all means adding his brain power to our defensive staff would be great, cause we clearly need some fresh ideas. Then next season he can either A accept another head job, or if things still aren't working out consider a longer term stint as our DC.

Personally I'm surprised more coaches don't stay at the DC and OC level. In the SEC these guys are getting around cool million a year, and they don't have the additional headaches and commitments that the Head guy has to deal with.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Back to the subject of Strong. Most likely it's just a visit. if it's more than that then there is the issue of a one and done DC. We've had too much of that and it's damaged recruiting too much. So even if a better DC Shows up we need more of a commitment to our program than to just use it as a spring board to your next head coaching GIG.

BUT if he want to cool his heals for a year and sort of recharge the old batteries as an analyst then by all means adding his brain power to our defensive staff would be great, cause we clearly need some fresh ideas. Then next season he can either A accept another head job, or if things still aren't working out consider a longer term stint as our DC.

Personally I'm surprised more coaches don't stay at the DC and OC level. In the SEC these guys are getting around cool million a year, and they don't have the additional headaches and commitments that the Head guy has to deal with.
Guessing most of these guys are career driven and wanting to climb the ladder to success which is understandable.

Reactions: B1GTide

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

We have our DC so Strong was never interviewing for that job. Chances are he needs a rehab and recharge job so analyst job with zero pressure is probably what he is looking for at the moment. That is speculation but it is a proven method at the Capstone.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We have our DC so Strong was never interviewing for that job. Chances are he needs a rehab and recharge job so analyst job with zero pressure is probably what he is looking for at the moment. That is speculation but it is a proven method at the Capstone.
That would be to his benefit, and Bama's as well...…...…..he can add new ideas and assist Golding a lot. it would be worth the effort to get him on staff as an analyst

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Allow me to speculate, but..................

CNS has been around far too long to realistically expect those demands would be met at Bevo U. Could be they felt a lot of us needed to have the daylights scared out of us in order to put the "underappreciated" crap to rest.

BTW..........someone has already amended CCS's Wikipedia page to indicate his new position. Probably just a prank since the guy who started it graduated from Bama.
No, I don't think so. They had gone through the same exercises they had done when moving on from other positions. When I said that it was all but a done deal, I meant exactly what I said...

Reactions: bamagradinATL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.