Slade Bolden or JoJo Earle

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Jeudy caught 14 his Fr year, Ruggs 12 and Devonta 7. Earle already has 10.

Actually Dieter and Mullaney were only at Bama for a total of 2 years. Bama's slot receivers have typically been people like Waddle, Christion Jones et al. Earle is much better suited to the slot than Bolden, at least in terms of catching the ball and yards after the catch.

Slade is multi-talented and has done a good job as a wildcat QB but he has had trouble with drops and fumbles. If you are as limited as Slade is in terms of speed and quickness you need to be a lock in catching and holding on to the ball which he has not done. There are obviously other reasons that he is the starter for the moment, maybe blocking and knowing the playbook, etc, IDK. Earle is the closest thing that Alabama has to the electric Waddle - something very needed.
We also have a much better QB throwing to our WR's than Jeudy, Ruggs, and Smith had...no offense to JH, but that's the truth. We need a playmaker at Slot to complement the playmakers on the outside and to keep the defense honest. Slade has had his chance and he has come up short...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We also have a much better QB throwing to our WR's than Jeudy, Ruggs, and Smith had...no offense to JH, but that's the truth. We need a playmaker at Slot to complement the playmakers on the outside and to keep the defense honest. Slade has had his chance and he has come up short...
Yep - if Tua started the entire season, those guys would have had epic numbers as TF. Of course, we have to wonder if Alabama wins the championship. I mean, could Tua have stayed healthy for an entire season?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yep - if Tua started the entire season, those guys would have had epic numbers as TF. Of course, we have to wonder if Alabama wins the championship. I mean, could Tua have stayed healthy for an entire season?
Based on evidence we would have to say "No," unfortunately. Did he have on a "flak jacket" to protect his ribs/body? Didn't look like it to me? OTOH, if anyone can sue his OL for lack of protection, TT ought to...with Ben R right behind him.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Nick Saban talks Alabama standard, Trey Sanders, Agiye Hall - al.com

-- Saban said Jahleel Billingsley, who played and scored a touchdown against Florida, is “doing what he’s supposed to do.” Saban was irritated at the question about why Billingsley has seen his role increase, asking, “Did any of you play sports? The coach is supposed to play the best players, right? And then it’s up to the players to do what they’re supposed to do to get to play.”

-- Saban said they would like to see Agiye Hall become a part of the offense because he has a lot of talent and ability, but there needs to be more consistency in performance on and off the field. “We try to get our guys to understand that that dependability is really important in their life for them to be successful, as well as in school to be successful, as well as in football to be successful.” Saban added Hall has been getting “better and better” and “hopefully he’ll be contributing sometime soon.”

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Is it time to give JoJo Earle more reps than Slade Bolden, and move Earle up on the depth chart (not that depth chart matters)? Slade has caught 2 TD's in 3 years and is averaging 3 catches per game for 21 yards per game. His body of work is what it is, and too many dropped passes. Earle has caught 10 passes for 128 yards in 3 games.

I'd rather give one of the younger players an opportunity, and Earle has more upside at this point.
With CNS, downfield blocking for WR's is just as important as explosiveness. Same for RB's. You have to block well at a skill position to play for CNS. I don't have a favorite in this. The blown TD is the only pass I can recall Slade dropping, there may have been more.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Based on Saturdays game the answer is go with Jo Jo , yep it was a bad drop ,but he won't drop them all, I like upper class men on the field for the very reason y'all have been complaining about Saturdays close game, we're young,,we need bolden on the field ,he's put in the work and I bet he redeems himself somewhere down the line.rtr coach thinks he good enough to be out there that's good enough for me.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Based on Saturdays game the answer is go with Jo Jo , yep it was a bad drop ,but he won't drop them all, I like upper class men on the field for the very reason y'all have been complaining about Saturdays close game, we're young,,we need bolden on the field ,he's put in the work and I bet he redeems himself somewhere down the line.rtr coach thinks he good enough to be out there that's good enough for me.
Did You mean Slade?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree that JoJo Earle or Hall needs the opportunity. Hall had a lot of hype coming out of A Day game too. Slade is just not a threat that DC's have to game plan around. Earle or Hall could become the third threat. And if it is that JoJo Earle doesn't know the full playbook, then it's on the coaches to find ways to get the ball in his hands because he can be an explosive weapon. He keeps getting compared to Waddle and that was always OC's mindset with JW, just find ways to get the ball in his hands.
It would definitely help our offense a lot, if we had a slot receiver teams had to account for every play, backing the D's off from crowding the LOS every play stopping our running game..

Reactions: Padreruf

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we're fine with what we have, we've had explosive plays where receivers dropped the ball. This is not an issue yet. It doesn't matter who replace this or that, all of this doesn't matter if we can't execute right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.