Smart was Bama’s Defense

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly Sark did fine but we had no answer after Bo went down. That’s what lost the game for us.
I'm sure there are a number of things that might have changed the outcome in a game that close. The lack of a passing threat is definitively one of them, and keeping Bo healthy might have made a difference, too.

I was definitely not knocking Sark; he did well given the fact that he was coming in fairly cold. But having the same guy calling the plays that had been calling them all season had to have been worth something.

Reactions: AlBamaWagg

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm sure there are a number of things that might have changed the outcome in a game that close. The lack of a passing threat is definitively one of them, and keeping Bo healthy might have made a difference, too.

I was definitely not knocking Sark; he did well given the fact that he was coming in fairly cold. But having the same guy calling the plays that had been calling them all season had to have been worth something.
No disagreement there

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
All this "Smart" talk has made me realize that there is no nearsightedness like that in the rear view mirror...
Nice turn of phrase. Haven’t seen that before, so I’m assuming it’s an Earle original. Well done!

I’ve always liked a slightly different take on the same idea:

How many Alabama fans does it take to change a light bulb?

Five.

One to change the bulb and four to stand around and talk about how good the old one was.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nice turn of phrase. Haven’t seen that before, so I’m assuming it’s an Earle original. Well done!

I’ve always liked a slightly different take on the same idea:

How many Alabama fans does it take to change a light bulb?

Five.

One to change the bulb and four to stand around and talk about how good the old one was.
Yes. Is your light bulb original? :) I've always liked your sig line...

Reactions: FaninLA

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yes. Is your light bulb original? :) I've always liked your sig line...
I wish I could claim credit for either the light bulb joke or the signature line. Unfortunately, neither is a 4Q original.

The joke dates back at least to the Stallings - Dubose transition, and maybe the Perkins - Curry. Also pertains to several QB transitions. In all cases, while the former guy was actually in the chair, he was criticized (sometimes harshly), for a laundry list of shortcomings. Then the new guy came in, and the old guy suddenly became a treasured and faultless memory, complete with a back-lit aura.

The signature line actually comes from something I read years ago here on TF. Don’t remember the original poster. I investigated, and found that a lot of people are credited with various versions, usually in language consistent with the time of writing.

But the original seems to have been from Jonathan Swift. Current phrasing is significantly updated from his original of nearly 300 years ago, which was speaking on the limitations of logic in a debate:

“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.”

Last edited:
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wish I could claim credit for either the light bulb joke or the signature line. Unfortunately, neither is a 4Q original.

The joke dates back at least to the Stallings - Dubose transition, and maybe the Perkins - Curry. Also pertains to several QB transitions. In all cases, while the former guy was actually in the chair, he was criticized (sometimes harshly), for a laundry list of shortcomings. Then the new guy came in, and the old guy suddenly became a treasured and faultless memory, complete with a back-lit aura.

The signature line actually comes from something I read years ago here on TF. Don’t remember the original poster. I investigated, and found that a lot of people are credited with various versions, usually in language consistent with the time of writing.

But the original seems to have been from Jonathan Swift. Current phrasing is significantly updated from his original of nearly 300 years ago, which was speaking on the limitations of logic in a debate:

“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.”
My father had a variation he was fond of: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"...

Reactions: FaninLA and UAH

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
@selmaborntidefan That same poster, DA Baxter started a thread on another Bama site entitled Saban vs Shula after the loss in the 2010 Iron Bowl. He actually broke down 2003-2006 and 2007-2010 and compared the 2 four year spans. He tried to say that Saban's 2-2 record (at the time) vs auburn was no better than Shula's. Despite the fact that Shula went 0-4 against auburn and never came close to beating them in any of those games. The final scores of all 4 games were cosmetic and didn't tell the real story. He disappeared after that and was not seen on that site again until....kick 6. Where he again, compared Saban to Shula. And again claimed that had Bama only hired Paul Johnson...we'd have been 7-0 or at worst, 6-1 against auburn at that point. Never mind 3 national titles out of 5 seasons and a Heisman winner at that point. :ROFLMAO:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
@selmaborntidefan That same poster, DA Baxter started a thread on another Bama site entitled Saban vs Shula after the loss in the 2010 Iron Bowl. He actually broke down 2003-2006 and 2007-2010 and compared the 2 four year spans. He tried to say that Saban's 2-2 record (at the time) vs auburn was no better than Shula's. Despite the fact that Shula went 0-4 against auburn and never came close to beating them in any of those games. The final scores of all 4 games were cosmetic and didn't tell the real story. He disappeared after that and was not seen on that site again until....kick 6. Where he again, compared Saban to Shula. And again claimed that had Bama only hired Paul Johnson...we'd have been 7-0 or at worst, 6-1 against auburn at that point. Never mind 3 national titles out of 5 seasons and a Heisman winner at that point. :ROFLMAO:
The OP is indeed a UGA fan and a rather prominent one at that... :)

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
Well as Coach Bryant might say " we got'em right where we want'em!" LOL Smart was our defense.
Just goes to show you, you can't teach an old dawg new tricks!

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
D A Baxter is the kind of guy who would tell you to buy Enron stock the day they filed for bankruptcy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.