Question: Smoked Turkey

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Chickens and turkeys are prone to salmonella bacteria. Cooking temperatures of 160 degrees F minimum are essential for destroying this bacteria. This temperature is not the OUTSIDE of the turkey but the INSIDE. I would use a water pan under the bird and set the temperature of the fire around the bird at 220 degrees F to 240 degrees F. Plan on 30 to 40 minutes per pound and use a temperature probe in the thigh to test for done. Hickory, pecan and oak are good woods to use but I am especially fond of cherry, apple and corn cobs. You can find some of the big beer in the butt chicken cookers for turkeys and they work great, you can make one from a larger tin can. Drip pans filled with water, wine and herbs do wonders for the flavor especially the woody stems of rosemary and thyme. Expect the skin to be very dark and check the temperature as often as you think is necessary to keep it from overcooking but you don't want an undercooked bird. Test in the thigh away from the bone.

For a garnish try bunches of grapes around the bird. I used to do this with roast goose and found it is outstanding for turkey. Mix the colors of the grapes.

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
I have always heard that the bottle of wine does not to be expensive. Not a bottle of crap but doesnt need to be expensive either . True ? What would a bottle of Cabernet do for the taste ?

Thanks Bayou . As always, I appreciate the advice.

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
I did the "big" beer in the butt turkey last year. I closed the cavity in the top of the bird with an onion and used cherry wood as the smoke. I cooked mine on a BGE and used the "plate" to make it in-direct. As always I salt brine with beer and apple cidar/juice the night before. There were 3 Turkeys at the gathering last year, this one was best received.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.