So How Do We Regulate Social Media Companies Without Destroying Free Speech?

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Just a quick note: I think the Social Media and Tech giants can best be "regulated" by not allowing them to continue to gobble up smaller competitors. Let the small start ups stand on their own. If they fail, then that's capitalism working as it should. But, larger, bigger fish, always gobbling up and then using big tech's ability to control conversation across many platforms, seems bad.

I'm aware that some small start ups began as such, were never going to be profitable, and probably had a plan all along to sell themselves to some larger big tech company, enriching a handful of "innovators". But, in my book, business should be allowed to succeed or fail.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They are the only ones who offer 1000 mbps fiber in ours. There would be mutiny if I cancelled it.
They were first here in our neighborhood. For years, their techs told me that there was no way our mountaintop would be wired for fiber until hell was iced. Then it was announced the city had made a deal with Google and Huntsville Utilities. Next thing you know, there was a AT&T spool truck on each corner, stringing fiber. They signed a bunch of people up to one year contracts and hadn't a clue as to how to support it. Multi-day outages were the rule, rather than the exception. Google was 1000x better and, as those AT&T contracts expired, people switched over to Google...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah, people love to talk a big ol game when it comes to what business does this and that and where they'll take their money. I'll watch their stock and quarterly earnings and bet that neither hits a 2% drop between the release of this news and EoEP.

I pulled all investments out of any business in Cali, wife shuttered her satellite office in Cali, and we've on a personal level avoided any and all products produced in the state since they changed their HIV criminality to a misdemeanor for knowingly infecting without giving warning.

Here's to hoping you guys stay true to your convictions and pull support.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I pulled all investments out of any business in Cali, wife shuttered her satellite office in Cali, and we've on a personal level avoided any and all products produced in the state since they changed their HIV criminality to a misdemeanor for knowingly infecting without giving warning.
So roughly exactly how Alabama treats the issue as a class C misdemeanor and in line with most thinking in public health now.

Reactions: 92tide

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium

“We're adjusting to a new information and political ecosystem. … The delivery system is more sophisticated, more robust and more ubiquitous," he said. "It helps radicalize in a faster way or a deeper way. We have algorithms that make sure that if you are starting to lean toward something bad … then the algorithm says, ‘I've got a four-hour manifesto you've got to see.’ We have created a machine that makes that kind of radicalization more efficient.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

“We're adjusting to a new information and political ecosystem. … The delivery system is more sophisticated, more robust and more ubiquitous," he said. "It helps radicalize in a faster way or a deeper way. We have algorithms that make sure that if you are starting to lean toward something bad … then the algorithm says, ‘I've got a four-hour manifesto you've got to see.’ We have created a machine that makes that kind of radicalization more efficient.”
trump is merely a symptom

Reactions: B1GTide and crimbru

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Sites like TikTok should be shut down if they don't police themselves from ridiculous "challenges" that end up encouraging self-harm, vandalism, assaults.

If they allow themselves to be taken over by foreign troll farms, they invite government censure and regulation. Facebook is very problematic for me. I want really badly to delete my account but I have interests that I cannot keep up with save for FB groups. Also, I have a few people who don't communicate much outside of FB messenger. You used to be able to use FB messenger without an account, but I think they did away with that option.
If you deactivate (not delete) your FB account you still have Messenger. I did it for a year until I reactivated FB then deleted it a month later. Their censorship algorithms are juvenile attempts at trying to make themselves look responsible.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not sure why you think that. Nat18 is right. I have numerous friends with made-up names...
Facebook even has an option for reporting “Fake Names”, which they do absolutely nothing with; I’ve reported dozens just to see what they would do and I’d alway get “it doesn’t violate our rules.” One of the reasons I left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.