So is BAMA becoming this decade's QBU?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I saw this posted in another thread

And it got me thinking ... with the success of Hurts, Tua, and Mac as NFL starters, and the possibility of Bryce joining the ranks ... can BAMA make an argument that we are this decade's QBU?

We went from a program where QBs were considered "game managers" to having 3 starters in the NFL in the last two seasons. I know the situation was a little unique BUT it's 3 starters nonetheless.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
WSJ article on Tua and Jalen
(may be paywall)

These two quarterbacks will forever be linked through one of the gutsiest decisions in college football history.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I got called an “inbred” on Facebook today by saying Bama absolutely has a right to claim Jalen (how could they not?). There are morons out there who think Bama has no right to claim Jalen…

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I will argue the right to claim Hurts from here to eternity, haha. For reference, he played 42 games at Alabama and graduated from Alabama.

He played 14 games at Oklahoma. I'm not going to get mad at Oklahoma fans claiming him to, but come on. Even if some fans didn't give him due respect, he's obviously an Alabama guy and he's shown that himself by repping the Tide.

Anyway, as to the general point Alabama used to be QBU actually. Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler put Alabama as the clear cut top producer of NFL talent. Alabama QBs won the first three Super Bowls! When Stabler won it meant of the 8 different QBs that won up to that point 3 of them were from Alabama!

I've always attributed the drop off to the move to the wishbone (which I'm sure was done for valid reasons). But it's not great at producing NFL QBs and by the time Alabama emerged from it their identify was that of a running oriented defensive minded team. That and just plain bad luck, I guess.

Now though Alabama is clearly back on track in that regard.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
(may be paywall)

They took the opposite tack from Belichick and his penchant for bargain basement shopping...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I will argue the right to claim Hurts from here to eternity, haha. For reference, he played 42 games at Alabama and graduated from Alabama.

He played 14 games at Oklahoma. I'm not going to get mad at Oklahoma fans claiming him to, but come on. Even if some fans didn't give him due respect, he's obviously an Alabama guy and he's shown that himself by repping the Tide.

Anyway, as to the general point Alabama used to be QBU actually. Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler put Alabama as the clear cut top producer of NFL talent. Alabama QBs won the first three Super Bowls! When Stabler won it meant of the 8 different QBs that won up to that point 3 of them were from Alabama!

I've always attributed the drop off to the move to the wishbone (which I'm sure was done for valid reasons). But it's not great at producing NFL QBs and by the time Alabama emerged from it their identify was that of a running oriented defensive minded team. That and just plain bad luck, I guess.

Now though Alabama is clearly back on track in that regard.
The move to the wishbone was done for very valid reasons. You could compare to CNS’s move to up tempo spread offenses. It led to a record for wins in a decade, 3 NCs, and propelled Coach Bryant to the all time wins record.

Things had gotten stale starting in 1967, ultimately with back to back 6 win seasons in 1969 and 1970. The wishbone was the catalyst that turned all of that around.

But your overall point is most likely correct. It didn’t help that we had ultra conservative Gene Stallings from 1990-1996. Bill Curry was a moron. Ray Perkins didn’t stay long enough. And after Stallings we wondered in the wilderness for a decade.

But even though the wishbone wasn’t really QB friendly, it produced NFL QBs in Richard Todd and Jeff Rutledge. Rutledge lasted for many years too. Just not a starter.

Reactions: KrAzY3

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
(may be paywall)

I'’m sorry there is a firewall on this article. It’s hard to subscribe to every news outlet who might publish an article that might interest you. I agree with the premise outlined in the free paragraph…playmakers at wide receiver position works out best for good quarterbacks and helps them excel.

I read statewide news on al.com. They have recently started up with a firewall. I found this out when I was reading a teaser by Kevin Scarbinsky since they don’t publish his full article any more unless you buy it.

Who would pay to read him? I guess he’s part of a package.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.