So NOW we are in need of an ILB coach?

Armstrong left for the Coaching Title.
He wanted DC ahead of his name.
Enhance his resume...???
This is a trash move. I hope he fails miserably.
I don't understand the resentment over the move. He was DC at Southern Miss and happily took a step down to join Saban's staff. But then Napier, his old boss at Louisiana, came in and offered him a huge promotion. Of course he takes that.

Saban has poached guys who just moved to a new job before. Given that the NFL and college work on different schedules, it's inevitable. Napier had an unanticipated opening and filled it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't understand the resentment over the move. He was DC at Southern Miss and happily took a step down to join Saban's staff. But then Napier, his old boss at Louisiana, came in and offered him a huge promotion. Of course he takes that.

Saban has poached guys who just moved to a new job before. Given that the NFL and college work on different schedules, it's inevitable. Napier had an unanticipated opening and filled it.
You do not accept a job - any job - and then quit for a better offer 2 weeks later. I have been in management for decades. I would never hire someone who was willing to do this.

Integrity still matters.

You do not accept a job - any job - and then quit for a better offer 2 weeks later. I have been in management for decades. I would never hire someone who was willing to do this.

Integrity still matters.
I think football coaching is just a different beast because there are so many moving parts. Saban hired Dan Enos to be Alabama's QB coach in 2018 under similar circumstances: Brian Daboll took a lateral move to go back to the NFL, we bumped Mike Locksley up to OC, and poached Enos from Michigan shortly after he'd accepted a job there. Granted, it was somewhat earlier in the cycle but the Eagles had to replace both coordinators after the Super Bowl, creating a vacancy at Florida, which led Napier to reach out to a guy he would probably have poached from Southern Miss if he were still there.

I guarantee you Saban has no hard feelings over the move and would welcome Armstrong back down the line. It's just the nature of the business.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I think football coaching is just a different beast because there are so many moving parts. Saban hired Dan Enos to be Alabama's QB coach in 2018 under similar circumstances: Brian Daboll took a lateral move to go back to the NFL, we bumped Mike Locksley up to OC, and poached Enos from Michigan shortly after he'd accepted a job there. Granted, it was somewhat earlier in the cycle but the Eagles had to replace both coordinators after the Super Bowl, creating a vacancy at Florida, which led Napier to reach out to a guy he would probably have poached from Southern Miss if he were still there.

I guarantee you Saban has no hard feelings over the move and would welcome Armstrong back down the line. It's just the nature of the business.
I think you made his argument when you brought up Enos. He left Michigan after a short period then turned around and left Bama without so much as a "I'm outta here" and a middle finger. Coach Saban didn't know he left untill he sent somebody to his office when he didn't show up to a Monday morning meeting.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think you made his argument when you brought up Enos. He left Michigan after a short period then turned around and left Bama without so much as a "I'm outta here" and a middle finger. Coach Saban didn't know he left untill he sent somebody to his office when he didn't show up to a Monday morning meeting.
Yeah but that just means Enos is a douche because of the manner in which he left, not BECAUSE he left. I will never blame anyone for taking a better job.

I think you made his argument when you brought up Enos.
Fair. But my point is that CNS has hired guys who just moved to new jobs, so he clearly doesn't think it's unsporting.

There's a lot about the coaching cycle that I'd like to fix---most notably coaches getting poached during the postseason, screwing over their current teams---but I don't know how you'd fix this. Some teams hire in December but the process goes on through February. An unwritten rule that you can't take a way better job if it comes along later in the cycle would really hamper careers.

I'd be annoyed if Armstrong had taken a lateral move to be Napier's linebackers coach. But a promotion to DC of a top tier program, with your mentor no less, is something that nobody should be expected to pass up. CNS will find another linebacker coach without breaking a sweat.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

Integrity still matters.
Your first-principles defense of integrity is irrefutable.

But in the words of Groucho Marx, if you don't like my principles, I have others. It would not take 7 figures for me to explore some of them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.