So what is the status of Jeremy Pruitt’s coaching future?

Jeremy Pruitt’s status

• Total voters

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Pruitt maybe, but Kirby no. In Kirby's hey day here we were very deep on defense at pretty much every position. Its kinda like what Georgia is now. Pretty much every year from 16- 2021 any injury on defense was pretty cataclysmic. This current team is by far the most loaded Alabama defense depth wise since 2015.

One thing that Kirby does very well is that he loads up on linemen on both sides of the ball. Alabama usually will have that one year in which we have a complete offensive line, but we are usually lucky to have one dominant defensive linemen. But Georgia tends to have both sides covered every year while we are in the very good category usually.

This year there really are no excuses for our defense. We have the most talented CB since Dre and 4 linebackers that can get after a quarterback.
I don't disagree. so no excuses for golding. I believe Alabama should have 3 first round defensive players in the 2023 draft, if not more

Reactions: JohnD

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
in regards to pruitt, i will add, that it has been known that everywhere he has gone that he has not really gotten along with others well. It seemed to be kept under wraps while he was at Alabama better, but saban always manages behavior well of this players and coaches for the most part

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Alabama has not been short on talent recruited on the defensive side of the ball. Pruitt and Kirby both would have coached better defenses with the same players than Golding.
I tend to agree with what you are saying, and Golding to me has not been able to come close to earning the respect those two have. He's also had to deal with a slew of injuries and playing players before they were ready. And the NFL is not as impressed with the defensive talent in recent years, is all I'm saying.
Also, QB ability and passing game complexity in general has been on a seemingly exponential increase. To counter that, Saban has gone to more spread and no huggle to increase scoring, which puts tremendous pressure on the defense due to time of possession. So there's really no way of knowing if Kirby or Pruitt would have had similar results with the situation Golding has been in.
Kirby had an exceptional defense this year at GA, that Alabama torched until 80% of the receiving yards went down to injury. And look at all the defensive players they had drafted this year. 8 total and 5 in the first round.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
As long as Saban is at Bama, Golding will have the DC job as long as he wants it. He is the #1 assistant. So the man sees something in him.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
if Pruitt is dumb enough to leave/be fired from one toxic athletic department and then joins another toxic athletic department... then I wont feel bad for him
He may or may not be, or maybe he owes the Executive Assistant a fortune (a "Frasier" joke although Hugh Freeze is an acceptable fill-in to explain it if you don't know).

That's the thing, though.

I am NOT - and my years on this board show this - I am NOT a knee-jerk Auburn basher as too many around here through the years have been. I don't hold to the notion that "we good, they bad," I know a number of fine Auburn fans personally.

But there is something that is sinister and next-level weird over there, too.They are the ONE college I could see willing to hire OJ Simpson as a coach who could teach them how to really go for the jugular and hit extra hard - if they were convinced he could beat Alabama. Bruce Pearl anyone? Cam Newton? They were talking to Bobby Petrino in the infamous Jetgate. There is an unhealthy obssession over there with some elements of their PTB (and even a good chunk of their fan base though not all as I said; we've got some morons too) that "just so long as we beat Alabama" nothing else matters. The rivalry should be healthy - not the reason someone lives or dies.

Actually, I should qualify my comment.

They'll insist new head coach Hugh Freeze hire JP as the DC.

And Art Briles as the OC.

I mean, I'm sitting here half convinced if they could rescusitate Joe Paterno, they'd bring him back "because he beat Bama and won national championships!"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
in regards to pruitt, i will add, that it has been known that everywhere he has gone that he has not really gotten along with others well.
Ive always heard the rumor amongst Georgia fans that him and Richt nearly got into a fight, but then again when you consider half the people saying this are the ones coming up with dumb Braves and Alabama rumors on the radio and twitter then you question if it happened. Barrett Sallee was one pushing that rumor not too long ago.

But it has been reported by more reputable sources that him leaving Florida St was not really his choosing.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
They'll insist new head coach Hugh Freeze hire JP as the DC.

And Art Briles as the OC.
I mean if you’re cool with monsters that staff would be phenomenal hires tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️ Not for me nor us but they’d be darn good. That’s a nightmare scenario for us really

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Ive always heard the rumor amongst Georgia fans that him and Richt nearly got into a fight, but then again when you consider half the people saying this are the ones coming up with dumb Braves and Alabama rumors on the radio and twitter then you question if it happened. Barrett Sallee was one pushing that rumor not too long ago.

But it has been reported by more reputable sources that him leaving Florida St was not really his choosing.
you don't leave a national championship team with one of the best defenses in the last 15 years of college football to make a lateral move or less than lateral move at the time as you leave FSU to go to UGA unless something is wrong.

there have been rumors of his behavior at most places he has worked. it stops sounding like a coincidence after a while, although i admit its nothing more than a rumor we can not fact check

a lot of these coaches have big egos, and when you get a bunch of egos working at the same place there are bound to be problems.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I mean if you’re cool with monsters that staff would be phenomenal hires tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️ Not for me nor us but they’d be darn good. That’s a nightmare scenario for us really
i was thinking the same thing, just add urban meyer to the staff somewhere

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
i was thinking the same thing, just add urban meyer to the staff somewhere
I think urban really has gone bananas. He had “it” at one point but I think whatever health thing he was struggling with changed his personality or mental makeup. Kinda like people with traumatic brain injuries but on a much smaller scale. I don’t think he’s capable of coaching effectively anymore. But this is a fun game! Haha what’s the all time great coach but bad guy coaching staff?

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
You know, lately it seems Georgia fans hate Mullen and Meyer way more than they ever hated Spurrier. Its weird but its something Ive noticed recently.
I would say there is a silent respect for Spurrier. Georgia fans may not like him due to his success over Georgia, but he is not the same type of character as someone like Meyer. Meyer is easy to dislike. Mullen I believe that he is just the most recent coach so I will give that dislike a recency bias paired with a used car salesman vibe.

Reactions: 81usaf92

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the bottom line is Pruitt's place is as a defensive coordinator on a college football team. I don't think he has the tools to be a great head coach, but he has clearly shown, at 3 different locations, he has what it takes to be an elite defensive coordinator.

Just setting aside FSU and Alabama where he had the #1 defense, he took over Georgia which had the #89 defense. His two years there they went from that to 16 to 8. Remarkable improvement over a short period of time.

Once the smoke clears someone should end up with an amazing defensive coordinator.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
CJP may well be one of the best/brightest when it comes to defensive football, but he doesn’t come across as the sharpest crayola in the 64 count box.
Yeah that’s basically what people I know who knew him at Hoover said. One even went as far as to say “the best thing for Pruitt’s career was Rush getting caught with a second family while picking a fight with the superintendent otherwise Pruitt would have been a Bill Clark at best in terms of a career trajectory.” Most people generally agree that he is a hot head and some one that really isn’t bright off the field but also someone who knows how to coach defenses.

But again there are several dumb people that can make great football coaches and several smart people who can’t explain a slant to a receiver. I think Pruitt’s horrible decision making at Tennessee has costed him a lot of money and a lot of good jobs right now. But the question is now “did it totally kill his career”. Idk think so but for now he is way to radioactive to touch for most programs and conferences.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.