Some facts to ease your mind re: Bama/UGA

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
wrong again my friend

Alabama won TOP by 8 minutes because Alabama ran 56% of the time and controlled the clock. Alabama can’t afford to wear down their defense and expect a goal line stand to win the game.

Alabama had three drives with 8 plays or more in the second half. The last two 10 play drives put it on ice and burned 11 minutes off the clock
You have no idea what you’re talking about. TOP isn’t meaningful anymore. It has essentially zero correlation to wins and losses. Sometimes you win and also have more TOP, sometimes you win without winning TOP.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
You have no idea what you’re talking about. TOP isn’t meaningful anymore. It has essentially zero correlation to wins and losses. Sometimes you win and also have more TOP, sometimes you win without winning TOP.
I agree completely, the only definitive stat is points.

However, when you can’t control the clock you’ll end up in a game of attrition with lesser opponents like Ole Miss. For example, Arkansas won TOP against Ole Miss and beat them.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings!
BamaCoachJeff’s analytics were spot on going into Uga’s eve of destruction and having been called to the attention of some of “our” top dogs are likely to win him a choice field trial judging assignment. It’s all about time management and D&D (down and distance) and field positioning in that particular game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wrong again, my friend!

Alabama won TOP by 8 minutes because Alabama ran 56% of the time and controlled the clock. Alabama can’t afford to wear down their defense and expect a goal line stand to win the game.

Alabama had three drives with 8 plays or more in the second half. The last two 10 play drives put it on ice and burned 11 minutes off the clock.

With today’s spread offense, TOP is more important than it’s ever been. Ole Miss had 4 drives with 7-16 plays in the second half against Alabama. Fortunately, the rebels were kicking field goals on the last two drives. Ole Miss won TOP by 4 minutes and had inferior players.
@spock* , Alabama was essentially even in TOP the entire game until the game was won. Alabama only won TOP because they already had the game in hand and then started to run the ball. 18 of the last 20 plays called were running plays.

My point - Alabama won the game because of Mac Jones and the receivers. TOP had nothing to do with it. Once the game was won, Alabama used the running game to seal the victory because Georgia had no fight left.

If Alabama decides to keep throwing the ball in the 4th quarter you probably score 14 more points, minimum and win by 30+, while losing TOP. You only slowed down the game at the end because it was already over.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
@spock* , Alabama was essentially even in TOP the entire game until the game was won. Alabama only won TOP because they already had the game in hand and then started to run the ball. 18 of the last 20 plays called were running plays.

My point - Alabama won the game because of Mac Jones and the receivers. TOP had nothing to do with it. Once the game was won, Alabama used the running game to seal the victory because Georgia had no fight left.

If Alabama decides to keep throwing the ball in the 4th quarter you probably score 14 more points, minimum and win by 30+, while losing TOP. You only slowed down the game at the end because it was already over.
Agreed...and CNS really did not want his defense to have to play any more. He loves finishing games like this...and so do I.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.