Sonny Dykes Takes Shot at SEC Scheduling

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yes, to be used as a potential excuse if they lost a game, sort of like what happened with Bryce. But the opposite should not be true. They shouldn’t just assume the team isn’t worthy of a playoff spot simply because their QB got injured.
It wouldnt have been just that, but getting blownout twice AND losing their QB.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yes, to be used as a potential excuse if they lost a game, sort of like what happened with Bryce. But the opposite should not be true. They shouldn’t just assume the team isn’t worthy of a playoff spot simply because their QB got injured.
So you are saying that uthug without Hooker should be considered as good as uthug with Hooker...?

Vegas certainly wouldn't handicap the two the same way...:cool:

If it's truly about selecting the best four teams, uthug wouldn't (and shouldn't) be considered worthy.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
So you are saying that uthug without Hooker should be considered as good as uthug with Hooker...?

If it's truly about selecting the best four teams, uthug wouldn't (and shouldn't) be considered worthy.
I’m saying if a team earned their spot in the playoffs, you can’t exclude them, even if their best player gets hurt. They earned the spot. The reason UT didn’t make the playoffs had nothing to do with Hooker’s injury. They didn’t make the playoffs because they got blown out twice.

Reactions: day-day and Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm trying to figure out this cockamamie excuse, too.

"But Hendon Hooker!"

Gee, remember that time Ohio State beat FAVORED Alabama with a THIRD-STRING QUARTERBACK?
What about that time when Ryan Mallett got hurt and Tyler Wilson came off the bench and hit 25 of 34 for 332 yards and 4 TDs in slightly more than one half of a football game?
Or what about the time Rohan Davey went down in the 2001 SECCG with LSU trailing the Vols, 17-7, and Matt Mauck came on and LSU won, 31-7?

This whole "if that team's quarterback isn't playing we get to pretend things don't count" is almost as ridiculous as the post ergo procter hoc justifications against Trash Can U.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

"But Hendon Hooker!"

Gee, remember that time Ohio State beat FAVORED Alabama with a THIRD-STRING QUARTERBACK?
What about that time when Ryan Mallett got hurt and Tyler Wilson came off the bench and hit 25 of 34 for 332 yards and 4 TDs in slightly more than one half of a football game?
Or what about the time Rohan Davey went down in the 2001 SECCG with LSU trailing the Vols, 17-7, and Matt Mauck came on and LSU won, 31-7?

This whole "if that team's quarterback isn't playing we get to pretend things don't count" is almost as ridiculous as the post ergo procter hoc justifications against Trash Can U.
UT is also mad because Bama is ranked higher than them in the final poll.............but they forgot about the thumping they took from South Carolina that dropped them

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

"But Hendon Hooker!"

Yeah that was one hell of a CNS coached team in 2001. Not only did Mauck lead them to two second half TDS, Saban also hit Phat Fulmer’s Vols so hard they lost 10 points they had already scored.

Mal Moore replayed that game over and over again in 2007 and said “Yep Nick’s the MAN!!! “ 😂😂

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
UT is also mad because Bama is ranked higher than them in the final poll.............but they forgot about the thumping they took from South Carolina that dropped them
Here's the thing with that: I can see that one either way as far as final rankings go. If we're consider PLAYOFF chances, that's a different thing.

Voters - whether coaches or SIDs or journalists or whatever - can REASONABLY look at that game and say to themselves, "Look, Tennessee won a home game on the last play by the margin of a home field advantage where they played very well and Alabama played below par. It is not unreasonable to conclude that if the two teams played ten times, Alabama would win 7-8 of those games."

As far as "well South Carolina killed Tennessee," yes, you can take that into account to assume it validates the "Alabama would beat them all things equal."

I have less problem with Alabama over Tennessee than some other things in terms of RANKING. When we're talking REWARD, that's a different thing.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I’m saying if a team earned their spot in the playoffs, you can’t exclude them, even if their best player gets hurt. They earned the spot. The reason UT didn’t make the playoffs had nothing to do with Hooker’s injury. They didn’t make the playoffs because they got blown out twice.
But they say that they are trying to put the four best teams in. If your all-star qb is out for the rest of the season, then you ain't one of those four. IIRC, they said that they DO take injuries into account. :cool:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But they say that they are trying to put the four best teams in. If your all-star qb is out for the rest of the season, then you ain't one of those four. IIRC, they said that they DO take injuries into account. :cool:
But you don't know that. That's the problem I have with this argument.

Furthermore, what does "they takes injuries into account" REALLY mean? Everyone here ASSUMES - key word - ASSUMES the committee is saying, "If your superstar QB gets injured in the last game of the year, we have a right to pass you over for someone else."

But I've never once heard anyone from the committee ever say this interpretation is a factor in any ranking they've ever given or as justification for bypassing someone.

I read this phrase entirely differently:
  • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
Here's what I read here: "If Alabama has one loss and in that one loss it was to a top ten team on the last play of the game, and Bryce Young couldn't play because of medical protocol, that loss is viewed in that context that Alabama probably wins if he's playing."

We have heard this "if your player is hurt" argument since J.T. Barrett went down in the 2014 Michigan game. And he was the SECOND-STRING QB on Ohio State (replaced Braxton Miller, who was also gone).

Ohio State won the national championship that year - with a third-string QB.

So to say "well if Hooker is out, they won't get selected" is - to me - one of the most ludicrous arguments anyone has ever proposed. As a reminder, his replacement (Joe Milton III) came on and went 4 for 8 for 108 yards and a TD against a defense that knew they were throwing the ball every play. The next week, he was 11 for 21 and 147 yards in a 55-0 blowout of Vandy.

And in the bowl game, he lit up Clemson pretty good, too.

I've always taken this in reverse - "a team like 2017 Alabama who was missing six starters most of the year will play much better in a playoff game" is not the same as "well that team lost it's starting QB, therefore, regardless of anything else they don't get selected."

I'm not saying everyone assuming that is wrong - I'm simply saying it has yet to be invoked as an argument for ranking or non-selection.

And had Tennessee beaten UGA and had only one loss after winning the SECCG, does anyone here actually believe they wouldn't have been selected regardless of who the QB is?

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.