Sources: Charlie Strong joins Nick Saban's staff at Alabama

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I think this is a good thing, and if I am Golding, I would be a sponge and soak up every bit of knowledge that Saban and Strong can provide...…….I would welcome the development opportunity and not feel threatened at all
I agree....I don't think that CCS will be our next DC, but he can make our current DC a whole lot better!!!
Like you said Keeter, soak it up....and get to know his recruiting tactics and meet some of his folks!!!

Reactions: Bazza

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think this is a good thing, and if I am Golding, I would be a sponge and soak up every bit of knowledge that Saban and Strong can provide...…….I would welcome the development opportunity and not feel threatened at all
BUT!!! Ego being what it is for all successful persons...that may be really, really difficult for CPG -- and I don't know him at all so this is a generalization and not person specific. He may accept this help -- or he may balk...will be interesting to see.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m willing to cut CPG some slack for the last two years. Two years ago he was co-dc with Tosh. My understanding was that Tosh, not Pete, was in way over his head. It was Golding that stepped in halfway through that season to take over the play calling on defense.

Last year the injuries on defense, especially at LB, was devastating. Starting 4,5, or 6 true freshmen is hard to overcome. The biggest thing that CPG will have going for him is depth and experience. Now he has to put them in the best opportunity to make plays.

This is what I will say. I feel pretty certain that Coach Strong isn’t on the staff just to “eat Cheetos and analyze defenses”. If CNS feels that defense isn’t improving with a chance to be significantly better this year, whether in the spring, or fall camp, or in the season, he WILL make a change.

And who better to have as a “back up” in that situation than Coach Charlie Strong.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
BUT!!! Ego being what it is for all successful persons...that may be really, really difficult for CPG -- and I don't know him at all so this is a generalization and not person specific. He may accept this help -- or he may balk...will be interesting to see.
True...…………….he could balk and decide he wants to leave, but I think that would be a mistake on his part. Learn, get better and hopefully the injury bug doesnt bite again...........I hope he succeeds, but we shall see

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
True...…………….he could balk and decide he wants to leave, but I think that would be a mistake on his part
He may not be thinking about leaving...balking/resistance comes in many ways and most of them are small, seemingly insignificant, and often unknown to the person doing them. I've had to replace my share of staff to know the situation...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If he balks, he walks.

Golding needs massive improvement and better take it wherever he can get it.

Unless Saban is losing his edge, which I doubt.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Great hire with Charlie Strong added. I do hope Golding stays. Hopefully he can learn from Strong. If the defense sees no improvement (but I think it will unless the injury bug hits again), then Charlie Strong is there if needed.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Golding needs all the help he can get to hold on to his job. It is time to deliver. Two years of excuses are enough. I agree, if he balks, he walks. I hear Rush Probst is hiring......

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Golding needs all the help he can get to hold on to his job. It is time to deliver. Two years of excuses are enough. I agree, if he balks, he walks. ...
"DC (Dissed Coordinator) Walking" - that works...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If he balks, he walks.

Golding needs massive improvement and better take it wherever he can get it.

Unless Saban is losing his edge, which I doubt.
I concur...…………..and this will be a great opportunity for Golding to learn from someone who has coached NC defenses, and from Saban as well. It will make him better and the team as well. If he does resist, then it would be unfortunate for him

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I’m willing to cut CPG some slack for the last two years. Two years ago he was co-dc with Tosh. My understanding was that Tosh, not Pete, was in way over his head. It was Golding that stepped in halfway through that season to take over the play calling on defense.
Well, if true, then the excuses are over. The Bama defense had better be dadgum amazing this coming year or I hope CPG gets promoted to some other position (like DC at Texas State). Last year's D was frustrating to watch.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Newsflash folks...Nick Saban is our Defensive Coordinator. Never could understand the hating on Pete. Did y'all realize we had some key injuries on Defense last season? Sheeesh, lay off the hate how about it. I am sure Strong called Nick not vice versa. Great hire to get Strong on board but he was not hired to mentor Golding. But it is an added bonus that he will.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
No, Saban is not. It is his defense, but he does not call the defense during games.
True, but it is HIS defense. I believe what CB was saying is that Coach Saban's heart and soul are in his defense and he takes special interest in how it is manned and organized... :cool:

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True, but it is HIS defense. I believe what CB was saying is that Coach Saban's heart and soul are in his defense and he takes special interest in how it is manned and organized... :cool:
Agreed, but he went on to add some serious kool aide drinking stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: CoolBreeze

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It was Golding that stepped in halfway through that season to take over the play calling on defense.
The problem was the play calling didn't seem especially good. The idea that he was actually the one doing it is one reason I'm still uneasy about him. It makes it more than a one injury riddled season...

Reactions: CB4

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Agreed, but he went on to add some serious kool aide drinking stuff.
Yep, been drinking the coolaid since Nick stepped foot on campus. My point is, if there are problems with the D then Saban himself is making the changes way before you or I could even tell there was a problem. Pete is our DC for a reason, Nick's reason. Again, Strong is coming on board because he needs us more than we need him IMHO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Newsflash folks...Nick Saban is our Defensive Coordinator. Never could understand the hating on Pete. Did y'all realize we had some key injuries on Defense last season? Sheeesh, lay off the hate how about it. I am sure Strong called Nick not vice versa. Great hire to get Strong on board but he was not hired to mentor Golding. But it is an added bonus that he will.

That's a incredible bad take.... Defense will always be Saban… the 3-4 formation... and how he likes it to be played yes, that will always be saban, but guess what? Saban actually let his coordinators add wrinkles, concepts, idea into the offense/defense.

2. I seriously doubt Strong called Saban. Saban has a file in his office with list of candidates he calls to gather feelers out there... If he wants someone, he will reach out to them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.